BlackBerry

Brad47

I just picked up a Blackberry Tour and my carrier (verizon) told me to get my phone to work in RP I need to pick up a Tel-Cel simm card. Has anyone had experience with this ? Where is the best place to pick the card up ?
Thanks

about 10 bucks you can pick one up at most Telcel distributors... they are all over town... the biggest is next door to the dive shop...

on Bonito Jurez in the old Jim Burr plaza across from the Circle K, just before the traffic light at the old municipal building where you turn to las conchas...

playaperro

El Pirata
I just picked up a Blackberry Tour and my carrier (verizon) told me to get my phone to work in RP I need to pick up a Tel-Cel simm card. Has anyone had experience with this ? Where is the best place to pick the card up ?
Thanks
Humm I thought a phone had to be unlocked. Are verizon phones unlocked?:roll:

I had verizon for quite a while, until it turned to AT&T,granted I don;t have e-mail with it but I can call & text. The plan is $4.99 a month.(calls are about $1.00 a minute but texts are only 20 cents.

Brad47

It does have to be unlocked, plan to take care of that tomorrow. The verzion folks said to have the phone unlocked, buy and install the card and all will be well. Sounds to easy !

I can't believe Verizon will unlock the phone for you to use on another carrier...even though their's is not GSM (like Telcel or Movistar).

Tmobile will do the same thing, but only if you've had the phone (and/or have been a customer, depending on who you talk to) for 90 days. Otherwise, you can just find the code online for as low as $10, but then you cut yourself out of the normal trial period. Not sure about how it effects the warranty.

**Tmobile users**Btw, if you have a Tmo 3G-capable phone in Mexico and it's roaming w/ the regular Tmo SIM card inside, you WILL get insane charges as it's constantly pinging for the 3G network and data roaming. Even if you leave your 3G phone sitting in your room and don't make any calls, it still roams, so be aware Tmobile customers!

**There is an easy free fix you can download for this online, though. Or, just switch over to the TelCel SIM card when you get into Mexico and you won't have to worry about it.**

Last edited:

Brad47

I can't believe Verizon will unlock the phone for you to use on another carrier...even though their's is not GSM (like Telcel or Movistar).
They sure did and the process was pretty simple. Picked up a Tel-Cel card for 100 peso's and bought X number of minutes, it works great.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited: