Boat in the water

Well I finaly got the boat on Saguaro lake.
First thing I did is to leave the drain plug out and almost sank it on the ramp. Re pulled it and drained it out! At that time I found the fuse link to the bilge pump was blown so no help there and I did not have an extra fuse, I will next time. Finaly got it out on the water and it runs like a baricuda. I stoped at 4000 rpm due to Ednas screaming, and a little over 40 mph. The boat is very dry running but the stearing is a little slopy at lower speeds. I need to modify the bait tank fill line as it kinked when it got warm water in it. Edna kept thinking the engine was going to catch on fire due to the smell of the old oil residue on the block. That stopped after an hour or so and she was happy again. All in all I think it will be fine in RP. Going down Next month

Don't Worry, Be Happy
Bill

jerry

Hale yes Bill! I liked the part where you admit nearly sinking your boat.I'm still famous at a trailer factory in Elkhart Indiana for taking out power to the whole plant on a Friday at the start of the sectional basketball tourney in 1971 by not zigging the overhead crain around the power boxes. We all went home early...i wasn't allowed back.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ha Ha,

I did the same thing at Lake Pleasant a few years back. I can't back up anyway and I took 3 tries to back the boat down the ramp and finally gave up, put the Jeep in four wheel drive and dumped the boat over the side of the boat ramp. When I came forward, the trailer had gone down the side and when she resurfaced, she pulled the Jeep up off her rear tires for a second. That's what God made 4 wheel drive for, right? What! She was headed that direction anyway! I have a Jeep, I don't need no steenkin' boat ramp! :lol: So, I park the Jeep, run back down the ramp and my passengers are all going, Umm, Chari, why is there water rising in here? I first thought it was the normal water so I asked my friend to start the boat and come to the end of the ranp to pick me up 'cause I didn't want to get wet. Ha Ha, sure....... So, she gets the boat started and comes around, I climb in and am looking.....Ummm, this is not good I say and then her 10 year old son holds up the drain plug and says, is this anything? I said, where did you find that! He swears it was on the dash...Sure, I said to myself. I told 'em all to start bailing while I jumped in and put the plug in. So much for getting wet!!!! When I resurfaced and climbed back in the boat, they were all bailing and singing a three hour tour at the top of their lungs. There were several people that had witnessed the launch and the subsequent events that were laying on the ground laughing and crying. I tell ya, the disrespect. They actually said they would have paid to see that show! I tell ya, some people! :lol: :lol: A girl and her Jeep. It's a beautiful thing! :mrgreen:

I hate to admit it but this is my second time for a no plug thing. The first one was on a colorado lake and by the time I realized I was taking on water the stern was at least a foot low and I am in 400 ft of water. All I could do was to get to high speed and that drained most of it out. When I got to the closest ramp I went in the 5 mile zone at about 30. That upset people until I held up the plug. Got to the ramp, Plug in and went fishing

Don't Worry, Be Happy
Bill

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Ahh, the old "forgot to put the plug in" saga. I've never forgotten with my current boat, but did at least twice with my old boat. I'm about two miles off Rocky Point and wondering why the boat feels like a bloated whale when I hit the throttle. About that time, the back bilge cover floats off and water starts splashing on the deck. Whoa!!! Drop the throttle and pick up some speed and the water starts draining off. Fortunately, on that boat, you could put the plugs in from the inside as well as the outside. The bilge pump quicky took care of the rest within a few minutes.

I think every boater does this at least once. If they say they never have, then their fibbing! :lol:

I've taken on water a couple times even with the plugs in. Once when a brass thru-hull fitting corroded apart and twice when bilge pump nipples where you attach the hose have snapped from age/stress/vibration, basically leaving the sea free entry into the hull. Next time I replace each bilge pump, it's getting a check valve installed on it. When I inquired about putting check valves on before, I was advised against it - you don't want any flow restrictions in line. However, Johnson controls must have realized that their plastic pump casings suck and the nipples break because they now included a rubber check valve that only allows one way flow through the hose.

Sixty

I've done it a few times. Fortunately the new boat comes from the factory with a permanent drain plug on it. one less thing for me to remember at the ramp.

My wife is constantly yelling at me whenever she hears the RPM's rise above 4500 or so :roll: