Boat question

juiced8

Hey guys, thinking about picking up a boat to fish with down there. Would an 18 foot Searay open bow work for the reefs out there. Trying to stay around 5 grand so the huge ocean liners wont be a possiblity. I've seen people fishing off of jetskis, so would this size of boat work? Anything else I need to know, this will be my first boat, I currently have been doing the kyak thing, although fun I want to catch something bigger than a tilapia for once.:chef:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Near-shore reefs, on flat days. That's about as far as I'd go in that boat. But yes, it will let you get out and catch some fish.

juiced8

Where are the near shore reefs? Good sized fish out on those? Is there something else in that price range that would be better for fishing out there? Bass boat or something?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey guys, thinking about picking up a boat to fish with down there. Would an 18 foot Searay open bow work for the reefs out there. Trying to stay around 5 grand so the huge ocean liners wont be a possiblity. I've seen people fishing off of jetskis, so would this size of boat work? Anything else I need to know, this will be my first boat, I currently have been doing the kyak thing, although fun I want to catch something bigger than a tilapia for once.:chef:

Wasn't aware there are Tilapia in RP waters....

juiced8

Ok the only problem is I don't think the tall cuddy cabin will fit in my garage in cholla bay. And kind of don't want to leave it outside. Is there any other options on where to store it close by?

audsley

How much would one of those blue pangas the locals use set you back if you bought one down there, assuming you could find one for sale? And would two 35 HPs on the back be enough?

jerry

How much would one of those blue pangas the locals use set you back if you bought one down there, assuming you could find one for sale? And would two 35 HPs on the back be enough?
Craigslist. 18 foot panga fishing boat, custom wood interior w/trailer

Boat 21 foot Mexican Panga

I saw the first one and was warned away because you won't know if it leaks until it starts getting pounded in the waves The second looks cool.... You can rent a house in Santo Tomas for the weekend and have the guys pick you up on shore in the morning for a full day maybe 10 times for what a junk boat would cost. why bother?

playaperro

El Pirata
They mold a panga out of fiberglass for 7 grand and you can add some real nice stuff to them in Penasco.

Last edited:

juiced8

Ahh I get it, you must be the resident keyboard warrior, thanks for all the helpful info guey.

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Ahh I get it, you must be the resident keyboard warrior, thanks for all the helpful info guey.
No, that belongs to this other guy on the forum. He's currently on VACATION. I think he suffers from LOW T and the blue diamonds aren't enough anymore. I would think that losing your manhood would give any man anxiety.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Where are the near shore reefs? Good sized fish out on those? Is there something else in that price range that would be better for fishing out there? Bass boat or something?
There are decent reefs 10-12 miles out. That was my reference to "near-shore." Pintos, triggers, sardinero, occasionally even big grouper. There are also reefs more in the 20 mile range north out of Cholla that are good producers. Then, there's a whole set of deep reefs in the 30-60 mile range out.

My logic for saying stick with the near-shore reefs with that boat is that if the wind comes up (and it can, without warning), you're going to get plenty beat in a boat that size. You don't want to be stuck with a 20+ miles run in that boat in bad weather. My boat is a 28 ft. cat and I've had plenty of cold, wet rides back in when the weather decided to suddenly change.

As was said earlier, you want a boat with a deep V hull, not a bass or flat bottom boat. There's no such thing as "swell" per se in the northern Sea of Cortez. Not like the Atlantic or Pacific. Instead, you have a large tidal change and if you get wind blowing in the opposite direction as the tide is moving, you get sharp-faced waves at a very short (2-3 second) interval that makes the best sport fishing boats out there slam and pound. It can be very miserable and out-and-out dangerous.

jerry

"As was said earlier, you want a boat with a deep V hull, not a bass or flat bottom boat. There's no such thing as "swell" per se in the northern Sea of Cortez. Not like the Atlantic or Pacific. Instead, you have a large tidal change and if you get wind blowing in the opposite direction as the tide is moving, you get sharp-faced waves at a very short (2-3 second) interval that makes the best sport fishing boats out there slam and pound. It can be very miserable and out-and-out dangerous".
About 8 miles out from Santo Tomas the guys have found a good Grouper spot.While riding in a Panga a few months ago(leaky with no life vests of course) we hit conditions like you describe....scared the crap out of me and I was really glad I was riding with a guy with 25 years of practice in those conditions....still puked!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Jerry, I've had some poundings on pangas that I thought ruptured a kidney! Just a stool-packing, teeth-rattling, bone-jarring nightmare. How those guys do that day after day is beyond me. Of course, nearly all of them are at the very back of the panga running the tiller motor, softest ride on the boat. Tourists go up front!
:puff:

Roberto

There is a small very retro looking cruiser, looks like an RV on a hull for $1,000 for sale on Campeche.

As for Panga fishing, I'll stick to the shore!!

jerry

I think I've been talked out of shopping for pangas.
. Not till you hear this deal...The fishing coop in El Golfo gets the boats replaced on a regular basis if they respect the no fishing zones.They then can sell the 2 year old ones for 3 k to another coop. My buddy could middle this deal for you....what could go wrong?

audsley

Do I just leave the money in a bag at a pre-determined location, or does your buddy need me to wire it to him in Nigeria?

jerry

Do I just leave the money in a bag at a pre-determined location, or does your buddy need me to wire it to him in Nigeria?
Well he is not a Nigerian General but did get shot in the foot at the battle of Tubutama. no this is a real deal.They want us to buy one and split the catch with us....thinking about it