Boat registration

Does anyone know if the mexican side will take a photo copy of the boat registration or do I have to keep the original in my truck ?

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

B

bahiatrader

They took a photocopy from me, but just in case, I'd bring the original with me. They also took a photocopy of my birth certificate that I had emailed to me when I went beyond the "free zone". I think it may depend on who processes you. :?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Depends on what you're trying to do with the photocopy. You are well-advised to always have the original with you.

When I applied for my TIP (Temporary Import Permit), they would *not* accept a color photocopy of my trailer title. They insisted on the original. I finally talked to the Aduana jeffe and he personally inspected the trailer and matched the serial number to that on the photocopy, stamped and signed it. Took two hours for that little fiasco at Nogales.

At Lukeville, they will often ask for the boat registration when you cross and your drivers license or passport to verify that, in fact, you are the registered owner of the boat. Now that I have a TIP, I just show them that and it's never questioned because it's "official" Mexican paperwork. And Mexico (if you don't yet know, but will find out) is all about the paperwork!!

Carry the original with you. A lot less hassle. Plus, if it's registered in AZ, that *is* your boat title. You get a new one each year when you renew your boat decal.

Kelney

I think you could hand them a copy of a baseball card with a picture of your boat over the player's picture and it would work. What few times I have provided them a copy of either my TIP or registration they look at it with a crinkled confused look :? That tells me they do not read English for the most part and really have no idea what the hell they are looking at and is just doing a check to appease their supervisor who may be watching.

That being said, I still always keep my original's with me in a binder with all my insurance, licenses, etc.. However I did accidently leave my binder recently at the San Carlos Marina which was not fun..... Thanks again Stuart!

B

bahiatrader

I agree with Stuart 100%, about having all your original paperwork, but Kelney's right. A baseball card would probably work just fine. It seems that I only get stopped and asked for paperwork at the border one out of every eight or ten times I cross. For stops on the road, I carry all the pertinant information readily at hand. I usually try to be friendly and polite, while handing them the papers one at a time as fast as they'll take them... one at a time explaining everything in English as fast as you can. The more paperwork, the better. :?
I lived in Mexico, and traveled all over the country. The Federales De Camino are pretty squared away, and won't bother you unless there's something obviously wrong, or they think you may need assistance. The soldados do it because that's their job. The transitos, or city police are entirely different. Gringos are a source of income. I've had transitos in several cities ask me for my papers and even Visa. Whether it's legal or not, they do it, so you'd best be prepared. I've paid la mordida a couple of times when I was in a hurry, but that's entirely your option.