Boating Emergency Assistance out of Puerto Penasco

don

EPIRBs' vs SPOT

I've researched SPOT vs EPIRB's and EPIRB's have advantages. I contacted Dave Carter from Boat US about the two devices, SPOT and EPIRB's (thanks to a SF article, Which one is right for you?) and here is his reply.

The short answer to whether the Mexican Navy will respond is we do not know. The U.S. is a signatory of COSPAS-SARSAT (the international agreement that manages EPIRB responses) where as Mexico is not. An EPIRB that is activated in that region would be picked up by the nearest Mission Control Center (Suitland Maryland) and then they (or the Ground Receiving Stations – California or Miami) would contact the appropriate Mexican officials to perform the search and rescue. This is the same level of service people can expect when boating in the Caribbean as many countries there are not COSPAS SARSAT signatories.

The SPOT Messenger is a nice product but should not be used as your sole source of emergency communications. Unlike an EPIRB, the signal MAY be picked up by SPOT’s fee-for-service rescue coordination company. At which point they would identify the appropriate rescue personnel and contact them just as a concerned family member would do.

Anyone use the car wash in town to wash down their boat and trailer? Often wondered if it was reliable and the cost...

I used to use the Public harbor and enjoyed helping out the little guys. But after several trips return trips and my launcher was not around plus being charged an extra 20 bucks an hour after 5PM (we also fish late in Summer months), I decided it was not worth it. So, Safe Marina gets my business, plus at least someone has a float plan.

Don

Last edited:
What about using a Linear to boost the range for emergencys?
I didn't think you actually use a linear amplifier on FM systems, which the marine radios are.... I know you can on AM (CB/SSB) radios. Any radio experts out there? Looked on the web and found some that appear may work...but at the price, you might as well pick up a satellite phone!!!