Border crossing at 21 mile checkpoint

WHOW,is all I can say. We hit the secondary checkpoint on wednesday at 11 or 11;30 and the guy there said we had a problem.I said whats that and he takes me to the back of the trailer and he shows me the expired tag on my trailer. I didn't evenknow. So I said I would take care of it when I returned to Phx. and said sorry. He tells me to turn around and go to Phx. .He would not budge at all. So we spent an extra 3 and 1/2 hours and went back to Sonoyota and through Caborca . So I am telling you all to make sure your tags on your trailers are current or they will turn you around. I had my title for the trailer and all. He said no way ,go back .I even offered to buy a temp permit through him (if you know what I mean )and he said no. Leigh

jerry

No this was souih of rocky point. I was trying to bribe him. Leigh
My friend had an atv turned back there. They turned around,dropped the atv and his 14 year old kid off at the railroad crossing...dropped the trailer off at Mirramar and he went back through....met up with the kid after he had a 10 mile ride along the tacks on a moon lite Mexican night to a place south of the checkpoint.They drove slow the rest of the way with the ATV leading..When the ex wife found out about this the fur flew!

Yeah it was such a joke. I got pulled over on the new freeway by the federal police going 75 in a 55 and he said ,make sure you get the plate fixed. no ticket or anything

Roberto

Well if you got stopped in AZ you might have had your entire rig impounded so don't bitch too much when Mexicans enforce their laws.

If you got stopped at Almejas, that's an Aduana stop. They enforce the vehicle laws outside of the Free Zone.

Terry C

Monday, On the short cut road in Sonota the federal police were checking vin #'s on the dash and the driver door on every veh.

Roberto

Federals were looking for stolen vehicles or illegal drivers. Mexico has a set of complicated laws about who can drive a vehicle in Mexico. For example, I haave been told by a Mexican abogado who works for Hacienda, Mexican citizens can drive a US licensed vehicle if they have the same last name as on the registration or the registered owner is in the car. I guess the laws are intended to stop the illegal use or import of vehicles without paying for Nationalization, a very expensive operation. There may be some differences between the free zone and other parts of the country as well.

Monday, On the short cut road in Sonota the federal police were checking vin #'s on the dash and the driver door on every veh.
Really?!? The short cut just after the intersection a few miles after the border as you pass the Circle K? Where did they have it? Closer to the OXXO and/or Arizona Market store? Did it create a line? And was it just autos going in towards Penasco or leaving?

Actually in Az. they would have written a ticket and you are on your way. I would have much rather paid a ticket and saved 3 extra hrs besides all the fuel. Hey I've been going down for 26 years without a problem and we do a whole lot for the people of Lobos. I'm just glad they didn't see all the food and clothes as well as wetsuits we bring down for the people. Life is good and we still made our delivery to them I just wish I could have saved time and money. Like I said I have never had a problem before, my fault for not noticing the expired plates. Leigh Also I had the title, with me, on the trailer, to show I owned it.

Recently, a Mexican woman was driving her boyfriend's AZ registered car from Tucson to Hermosillo, on a routine and frequent visit to her other home and family. Both she and her boyfriend have permanent resident status in the US. Her boyfriend wasn't with her. She had her daughter, and her daughter's three children with her in the car. She was stopped at a Hacienda checkpoint north of Hermosillo. Because the registered owner was not in the car, the car was confiscated by Hacienda, and transportation was provided to her and those in her car to her home in Hermosillo. In order for the car to be recovered, a fine of three times the value of the car must be paid to Hacienda, so her boyfriend has essentially lost his car. She usually uses her own car for travel between Tucson and Hermosillo, but this time she used her boyfriend's car while her car was being serviced. There was no evidence that she intended to dispose of the car in Mexico in violation of Mexican law. The car was lost solely do to the technicality that the registered owner wasn't present in the vehicle. Apparently, there is no available appeal process to challenge this unjust summary confiscation. Mexican laws are very harsh on Mexican citizens, so tourists shouldn't complain about very lenient treatment for their infractions, or be arrogrant about violating Mexican laws.

Roberto

This is all to insure that vehicles driven by Mexicans go through the lengthy and expensive importation process. Laws designed to collect revenue and to protect Mexican manufacturing and sales.

It was explained to me when I had a Mexican esposa who drove my vehicles. A Hacienda attorney friend said if she drove alone out to Fremont and crossed into el Centro there was no problem. If she turned right onto Fremont down to Josefa the vehicle could be confiscated as you described. I think it has to do with the free zone boundaries. The driver can be Mexican if the registered US owner is present in the vehicle or if the Mexican Driver has proof that they are formally married to the US owner.

Harsh laws. Think about that when people start complaining about US regulations.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What would that mean for Jerry and I? If he's driving my Jeep and I am not in it, what would happen if he got pulled over?

Chari...the laws they are talking about are for Mexicans...driving non-mexican registered vehicles.... I would check with Rosy (if you have insurance with her, or if not)...but I think he would just have to have the registration and a notarized document that he had permission to drive the vehicle.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, it's either put him on the title or get a notarized letter... Same amount of hassle.....

Chari...the laws they are talking about are for Mexicans...driving non-mexican registered vehicles.... I would check with Rosy (if you have insurance with her, or if not)...but I think he would just have to have the registration and a notarized document that he had permission to drive the vehicle.
I have been told that if the Mexican citizen can prove he/she lives in the U.S. and shows a valid U.S. driver's license and valid Immigration documents showing legal residence in the States along with the owner's authorization to drive the vehicle, it would suffice. The law exists to cut down on the number of vehicles being driven down here without having been properly imported. There was a time when drivers weren't hassled so much in town and just had to worry about being pulled over on the highways or caught at the checkpoints. Right now, screening is tough on this and even around town Mexican citizens are being yanked for driving cars with U.S. plates. I've been called on to intervene for two people who opted to just let the vehicles go rather than pay the high fines to get them back. By the way, you can be made to pay the fines and lose the car.
One case was an American citizen who didn't feel well so he sent his Mexican employee to Lukeville to get his mail. When the employee was coming back across the border, he was detained and the car impounded. The American had to pay the bail for his employee and a fine for the offense. He opted not to pay the added amount to get his truck back. Weeks later, Hacienda came knocking on the door with yet another amount due for the offense. The Mexican employee was told that if he didn't pay it, his home would be taken. The American paid that debt, too.
The other case was one in which an American couple had a little car and decided to simply give it to a hard-working Mexican family they'd known for years. The Mexican family knew they should legally import it, but never did. One day they got pulled over in town and the car was impounded. They paid about $1,500 dollars to avoid prosecution, but the car wasn't returned. It would've been returned to the Americans (after paying the impound fees), but the Americans were not available and either didn't want to add more money to the gift or make the additional trip down to take care of it.
In retrospect, it doesn't appear I was of much help to either of them, but at least they had an interpreter to explain the process and we were able to negotiate the fines down quite a bit from what was originally sought.

Chari, if Jerry is driving your Jeep, the notarized authorization should do it.

Roberto

Rosie;
What do you know about the CONDEFA plates. You see them commonly. I read somewhere that there is some loophole in the law that allows one to drive an unimported car with this plate.