*BORDER INCIDENT* Can the CBP KEEP you from crossing INTO Mexico WITHOUT a Passport?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Do people regularly get asked to see their passports by CBP on the way into Mexico? I've never once been asked to see my passport. Only been asked where I'm going, how long am I going to be there, how much cash I have, and what my job is in the US.
I have never been asked to show them my passport on the way out... I have been asked something like, "You have your passport, right?" which I have always simply taken as a reminder that I need it for re-entry...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Asking what your job is, is a first for me. Has anyone else been asked that?

I have been asked that several times. I have been asked how long I plan to be out of the country, and I have been asked if I have the boat registration with me (again I just take that as a reminder that I need it in case a Mexican official asks)

mis2810

Asking what your job is, is a first for me. Has anyone else been asked that?

I get the job thing almost every time. Nothing special about my car, or the way I look that I can think of that would make them ask me that.

I'm having a hard time believing the OP that his story actually happened.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Im actually curious to the answer of this question too. I have a passport but have wondered about this myself. I was under the impression that if you're a citizen or were born in the country that they couldnt deny you re-entry into the US for any reason. I know they will give you shat for it but still let you in regardless. People have asked me if they can still go to Rocky Point without a passport and I tell them yes. I tell them ICE is going to scold you and give you the make sure you have it for next time deal but they will still let you in. This past Sunday the 29th a person in our group that came with us didnt have her passport because she hadnt received it in the mail yet but still came anyways. She rode back to AZ with me in my truck and when we pulled up she handed over the documentation stating she had purchased a passport and was waiting for it, had a picture ID (AZ drivers license) and social security card. The ICE agent was questioning her why she had gotten her passport from ASU and not the post office. Like seriously WTF does it matter where you purchased your passport?! I didnt get my passport from the post office, so why even ask that question, to put your nuts on someones face to let us know you have power?! Amirite?! Obviously everything was good and then for good measure the guy asks why I have two spare tires, one of which is mounted in the bed of my truck and is a full size 33...

AZJD

Im actually curious to the answer of this question too. I have a passport but have wondered about this myself. I was under the impression that if you're a citizen or were born in the country that they couldnt deny you re-entry into the US for any reason. I know they will give you shat for it but still let you in regardless. People have asked me if they can still go to Rocky Point without a passport and I tell them yes. I tell them ICE is going to scold you and give you the make sure you have it for next time deal but they will still let you in. This past Sunday the 29th a person in our group that came with us didnt have her passport because she hadnt received it in the mail yet but still came anyways. She rode back to AZ with me in my truck and when we pulled up she handed over the documentation stating she had purchased a passport and was waiting for it, had a picture ID (AZ drivers license) and social security card. The ICE agent was questioning her why she had gotten her passport from ASU and not the post office. Like seriously WTF does it matter where you purchased your passport?! I didnt get my passport from the post office, so why even ask that question, to put your nuts on someones face to let us know you have power?! Amirite?! Obviously everything was good and then for good measure the guy asks why I have two spare tires, one of which is mounted in the bed of my truck and is a full size 33...

hahahaha....they love to act tough to the people who are legitimately trying to help them prove their citizenship.

Last time I came back, my buddy didn't have his passport. He had gone through the trouble to get an original birth cert, had his social security card, and his driver's license.

The US BP agent looks at it all, yells at him for no passport and then says, "Your birth cert and DL says you are from Kansas. We ain't in Kansas anymore son. Where's your passport? And do you even know where Kansas is??"

My friend can be quite the smartass, so he looks the agent in the eye and says, "Yeah. Buddy. Take your finger. And put a dot smack dab in the middle of the U. S. of F*cking A. You'll find Kansas there." LOL

BP smiled and waived us back in.

:)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So I thought my question was clear enough - heres the answer -

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
I have been told that I cannot leave the United States by car without a passport...
Discussion Thread
Response (Mark)05/10/2012 06:46 PM
Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate, but you may be delayed for a short time when you return to the US if you do not have a passport, passport card, or other approved ID. If you are a citizen of another country you could be detained and formally removed if you do not have proof you are in the US legally. I hope this answer helps.

Mark

Link explaining approved IDs for Western Hemisphere
WHTI | Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative | USA

State Department page on travel to Mexico:
Mexico

Please note that in our online tracking software, a “Solved” status simply means that we have provided you with the best information we have to your question. There may still be steps you need to complete before your situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Those steps are explained in our response. If you need further clarification on those steps, please feel free to contact us back.

Thank you for contacting Customs and Border Protection's CBP INFO Center. If you have any other questions or would like clarification on this response, please feel free to contact us either by calling our toll free number 877 CBP-5511 (227-5511) or if calling from outside the United States our toll number 703-526-4200 and speak with a Public Information Officer. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm Eastern Time.

Roberto

Thanks for your effort but they really did not provide the information we need. They did not mention that there was such a requirement but they also did not say directly that NO the US does not require a passport to leave the country. Their response was about Mexico's requirements, not the US requirement. I think the question could have been more specific and even mention that ICE staff are telling people that they need a passport to leave the US.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thanks for your effort but they really did not provide the information we need. They did not mention that there was such a requirement but they also did not say directly that NO the US does not require a passport to leave the country. Their response was about Mexico's requirements, not the US requirement. I think the question could have been more specific and even mention that ICE staff are telling people that they need a passport to leave the US.
Roberto look at the subject line from me. Here is the original question to them,

"I have been told that I cannot leave the United States by car without a passport. Is this true? Can CPB actually prevent me from traveling out of the USA? I know what applies to Airline and cruise ships, I am asking about land travel (non-commercial) into Mexico without the need of traveling back into the USA. "

I think my question was clear but they chose to dance around the subject. I will rephrase my question but I think somehow I will get the same answer

Kenny

Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate.
It seems clear that you can only travel within 25 miles of the border without proper papers, so the question more importantly is what could be the consequences of going farther into Mexico if the matter was pursued by the Mexican authorities?

Last edited:

Roberto

Roberto look at the subject line from me. Here is the original question to them,

"I have been told that I cannot leave the United States by car without a passport. Is this true? Can CPB actually prevent me from traveling out of the USA? I know what applies to Airline and cruise ships, I am asking about land travel (non-commercial) into Mexico without the need of traveling back into the USA. "

I think my question was clear but they chose to dance around the subject. I will rephrase my question but I think somehow I will get the same answer
Well that is clear enough, it did not all appear in your initial posting.

TICO-T

Hey, why doesn't everyone just get the card passport and stick it in your wallet. No problems my friends!

P.S. The punishment for not having proper papers is you would have to tend bar at an Irish Pub on St.Patricks's Day for eternity! Smile!

jerry

Hey, why doesn't everyone just get the card passport and stick it in your wallet. No problems my friends!

P.S. The punishment for not having proper papers is you would have to tend bar at an Irish Pub on St.Patricks's Day for eternity! Smile!
Funny! This passport thing has scared away more American visitors than all the Fox News Peroxide Blondes scare stories about beheadings.People I know picture being turned back at the border...families separated...feral children left at on the mexican side forced to eat scaps of Sonoran Hotdogs and dance for colorful beads thrown there way by "friendly' older gentlemen

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Great thread everyone! I have to agree with Jerry that the well advertised "you need a passport" policy has really put a squeeze on auto entry to Mexico and RP is auto only. A rather pathetic 28% of adult US citizens hold a passport last time I saw it in the travel press. I hazard to guess it is even lower in Arizona. All other modern countries have a higher percentage holding passports.

As for actual practice in light of people reporting crossing without one, I would never do it myself. Everyone traveling with me has a passport or card so I don't have any additional hassles when I cross. Going back to heading to Santo Tomas via Caborca, and permits, visas and bribes being mandatory I choose to never seek out trouble at the border or the aduana. I also had some ugly shake downs coming back to the US in the '70s. I just want to cross in peace now.

Kenny

All other modern countries have a higher percentage holding passports.
And I'd guess that most all of them would fit inside the U.S. at the same time, and more than a few in Texas alone.

Kenny

"Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate"
It seems clear that you can only travel within 25 miles of the border without proper papers, so the question more importantly is what could be the consequences of going farther into Mexico if the matter was pursued by the Mexican authorities?
So I see that no one whats to even give this some thought, or if did they had decided that, as Frank Zappa said," it can't happen here", and quickly put in out of there mind... When I mentioned it to Jerry, he talked "free zone", but apparently and according to the reply, it's only a free zone outside of 25 miles from the border if you have the proper papers.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So I see that no one whats to even give this some thought, or if did they had decided that, as Frank Zappa said," it can't happen here", and quickly put in out of there mind... When I mentioned it to Jerry, he talked "free zone", but apparently and according to the reply, it's only a free zone outside of 25 miles from the border if you have the proper papers.
The free zone refers to car paperwork it is a free zone in the State of Sonora for a tourist to travel freely, it does require that your personal papers are in order. fm2 fm3 fmm etc.

Kenny

The free zone refers to car paperwork it is a free zone in the State of Sonora for a tourist to travel freely, it does require that your personal papers are in order. fm2 fm3 fmm etc.
Of course, but that's not my question. The state department said this (below) in their response. So one more time!

"Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate"

AGAIN...So I see that no one whats to even give this (above) some thought, or if did they had decided that, as Frank Zappa said," it can't happen here", and quickly put in out of their minds.

Edit... What our state department says is that Mexico only "allows" Americans to go 25 mile's into Mexico if they only have a license and birth certificate.​

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Of course, but that's not my question. The state department said this (below) in their response. So one more time!

AGAIN...So I see that no one whats to even give this (above) some thought, or if did they had decided that, as Frank Zappa said," it can't happen here", and quickly put in out of their minds.

Edit... What our state department says is that Mexico only "allows" Americans to go 25 mile's into Mexico if they only have a license and birth certificate.​
The point here is that I didnt ask the State department what Mexico allows, I asked the State department if they would stop me from entering Mexico without a passport, I never got an answer! I re-requested we will see