Border Line is bad tonight

brokenwave

Well Known Member
There were a fair amount of people in town this weekend. So who knows?

I hit the border at 9 AM with 3 lanes open, one car in front of me.:) So glad I left early this morning.

Saw more than a few trucks or trailers dumping construction debris along Highway 8.
Must be part of the beautify Penasco program.

I'm going back next weekend too, with the fishing derby going on we will leave at 7 am Sunday.

joester

2 salty dawgs
on Friday, 4/13 at noon - only one lane open going north back into Az - took over 45 min.
one lane open - I thought they were putting more CBP people on the border.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
on Friday, 4/13 at noon - only one lane open going north back into Az - took over 45 min.
one lane open - I thought they were putting more CBP people on the border.
They are. However, the legit border crossers have to pay the inconvenience fee because many of the agents are in the field catching the illegal crossers at locations other than ports of entry. Once again, the honest folks get screwed.

joester

2 salty dawgs
It's understood. We don't make the trip more than a couple times each year - so many other places to visit, only so much time. We do love the Mirador beach tho :)

ernesto

Well Known Member
There's always 4 guys watching one guy working at the checkpoints in Why and Gila, I really don't think it would add that much to the deficit to hire and pay a couple of agents to work the gates at Lukeville. It's all about customer service and the desire to provide it. We have every right to travel outside the country and should expect expedient service on the return.I have called and complained to the port Captain and he agreed with me. He said it's a supervision problem on weekends frequently.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
How about the same hateful attitude of almost every one of them? Especially US Customs.

Same old law enforcement brainwashing that every one of US is criminal perpetrator......................until they decide otherwise.

Makes me want to puke every time I finally get to be interviewed by them at the line.

And by God if you dare to remind them that they work for US! And we pay for their lovely life of hate. Anyone ever hear anything positive from them like a simple "Howdy" or "Have a Good Day" or "Welcome Back to the USA"?

Of course not.

JJ

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Sure there are agents who do have an attitude and seeming go out of their way harass people crossing back into the US as JJ pointed out.

But for the most part they are courteous to the thousands of people they see every day.

When I cross, I employ the same attitude with all agents, I start with a smile, a Good Morning/Afternoon answer their questions directly and usually ask them how's their day going?
In 25 years of crossing 10-15 times a year I have been given a hard time twice in all my crossings.
But now, it takes me less than 1 minute of interaction with the agent and on my way I go.
Very easy.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
Sure there are agents who do have an attitude and seeming go out of their way harass people crossing back into the US as JJ pointed out.

But for the most part they are courteous to the thousands of people they see every day.

When I cross, I employ the same attitude with all agents, I start with a smile, a Good Morning/Afternoon answer their questions directly and usually ask them how's their day going?
In 25 years of crossing 10-15 times a year I have been given a hard time twice in all my crossings.
But now, it takes me less than 1 minute of interaction with the agent and on my way I go.
Very easy.
We have generally been treated well when we cross also.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I don't cross into the US often. Maybe 5 or 6 times in the past 10 years,

My best crossing was years back. It was a hot, hot day. Lines moderately long. I had a Bob Marley CD on, prolly too loud while waiting in line with the generator running, AC on the roof of the Roadtrek and dash both blowing cold. Guy in the booth, a burly, short black man with a gleaming shaved head, glared out at me as I reduced the volume, leaned out of the booth a bit with a snarl on his face and said "I'm really pissed at you". A bit shocked I replied., "Why". He said cause you are sitting in the air conditioning listening to Reggae and I'm here in this hot booth" And broke into a broad smile with a laugh.

On another occasion I was crossing in a Roadtrek van motorhome. I usually stopped at the last Pemex to pee in case of along line to cross and got into the habit of buying one of those microwave precooked hamburgers. I was munching as I pulled up to the inspection booth and was greeted by a skinny guy with a hawk face, looking strained, eyes darting around. He sort of mad dogged me I thought, but I kept munching. He paused, staring at me long enough to feel uncomfortable, then stepped out of the booth and slapped a yellow post it form on the windshield and told me to go to secondary inspection. I had no schedule to keep but thought it would take a while for inspection, what with all the storage spaces in the motorhome. I grabbed a book to read and went into the waiting area. After only a few minutes I was called outsides and told I could leave. As I pulled away I noticed the yellow form still on the windshield, stopped and removed it. It was a referral form to inform the inspector of the reason for secondary inspection. Scrawled at the bottom of the notes was "Kept eating his hamburger" and nothing else !! The fact that no one had read or removed the note and that I was not really inspected carefully led me to believe that inspector was not well thought of by his cohorts. So it takes all kinds.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
Coming back from San Carlos to the US by way of Nogales, many years ago, the agent reached in and confiscated my ham and cheese sandwich literally out of my mouth because it was a prohibited farm product WTF?

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
In my experience some agents are nice and personable but others have a huge chip on their shoulder. Some glare at you and immediately begin interrogating you. I usually decline to answer some of their personal questions and this seems to enrage them even more.

marybna

Well Known Member
I worked in Hermosillo for about 3 years. I would go for 2 or 3 nights and come back. I had to care samples of my safety equipment they were going to order. I have a few rentals that I rent to border patrol. I said I never knew when I was going to be stopped and search coming and going. He told me"That is the point!"

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I always get a chuckle when they heft their 100 plus lb. dope sniffer pooch over the nine foot tall side of my trailered boat. Like to imagine the odors lighting up in his poochie brain. For some reason it always takes four guys to inspect the cabin along with the ten storage lockers. They love to leave behind dozens of black greasy boot prints on the sparkling gelcoat of the deck and gunnels. It's like watching the Keystone Cops while they try to figure out how to get into the thing.

JJ

ChuckNoll

Never had any issues with an attitude at the border or the checkpoints in 12 years of travel. Everybody has always been polite and typically pleasant. My favorite was the time I was asked if I was bringing anything back and responded, (a sixpack of Tecate and half a bottle of tequila." The agent just looked at me with a smile and told me that I didn't try hard enough.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
When I crossed back on Sat at 2 PM, 1 car in front 2 lanes open, I picked the wrong lane. Car in front got a 5 minute complete check over.

I pull up, say to the agent, good afternoon, he then gives me a 5 minute check over. That hasn't happened to me ever (25 years of crossing),

As I pull through the secondary inspection choke point I see a burly looking woman agent walking towards me as I creep over the many speed bumps
and she raps on my rear window as I start to accelerate to highway 85 with her screaming at me to stop.

I stop and she opens every compartment in my car, goes through my cooler twice, it had 6 things in it.
I mention to her that the 1st agent gave me a thorough inspection and she told me to only answer her questions. What a nasty person!!
10 minutes later I was finally able to head home.
So much fun.