Border Militia

jerry

go 20 KPH in the school zones and you will be OK. Pull over when locals are tailgating you for going so damn slow. Have pie available for bribes.

JimMcG

I've never seen one. Is that what they are doing now days?

What speed should I stay around?
Speed is ok. Keep your eyes on the road ahead for police traps which are set up once and a while, usually on US holidays or long weekends. Radar detectors will help also.

To be safer, drive the posted highway speed limits, although no one does.

Speed is ok. Keep your eyes on the road ahead for police traps which are set up once and a while, usually on US holidays or long weekends. Radar detectors will help also.

To be safer, drive the posted highway speed limits, although no one does.
Radar detectors don't work well enough when they are using those hand held radar....by the time the detector goes off...you're caught. The Sonoita police usually hang out in the same area....just when you come off the shortcut (Arizona Market), or up the hill before you leave town. The speed limits change from 20 kph to 40 kph back to 20 kph a couple of times.....

JimMcG

Radar detectors don't work well enough when they are using those hand held radar....by the time the detector goes off...you're caught. The Sonoita police usually hang out in the same area....just when you come off the shortcut (Arizona Market), or up the hill before you leave town. The speed limits change from 20 kph to 40 kph back to 20 kph a couple of times.....
The federales have been known to park in a cluster of trees in a ranchito between Nayarit and Penasco on the west side of the highway, and are quite difficult to see until you are almost on top of them.
I don't personally use a radar detector but some people do.

The federales have been known to park in a cluster of trees in a ranchito between Nayarit and Penasco on the west side of the highway, and are quite difficult to see until you are almost on top of them.
I don't personally use a radar detector but some people do.
Now the federales radar does give a good useable signal....on the straightaways heading down, I've gotten them at least a mile away....Saved my butt a couple of times....the idiot behind me didn't have a clue and passed me...got stopped!

Terry C

What they do in certain rual areas here is turn them off and turn them back on as a vehicle approaches. busted!!!!!

What they do in certain rual areas here is turn them off and turn them back on as a vehicle approaches. busted!!!!!
That may be, but with the old system they use ( I think it's the X band), every time they turn it on, the signal travels quite a bit...and you can pick it up from previous "applications" as you're approaching.

The Federales use the KA band same as highway patrol in the US. The cops in Sonoyta are just using old equipment with the X band. Its easy I have always found them in the same place. What I found to be worse is the Park Police on the otherside of the border.

playaperro

El Pirata
New Fines in Sonoyta:
Speeding $40.00

Open Container $100 might talk them down to $60

Make sure your pot is rolled 4 joints per person no fine they only take them away.

JimMcG

New Fines in Sonoyta:
Speeding $40.00

Open Container $100 might talk them down to $60

Make sure your pot is rolled 4 joints per person no fine they only take them away.
It is funny how things change. Back in the day, I have actually passed out cold beers to 'cops', already feeling no pain, at a highway checkpoint. By the time we were on our way I had actually been holding one cop's loaded AR-15 while we were doing some serious macho bull****ting.:-|

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Last Labor Day my radar detector detected a detective with a speed gun and it registered as Ka band, they must be getting updated equipment, also I did notice the police ws wearing a white shirt and dark blue pants, which seem odd unless it is the summer attire!!

There was pretty much no traffic on our way to the border from Tucson on the Friday (@ 11:30am) before Labor Day this month, but a line getting into Mexico on the US side courtesy of our Border Guards. They had the dogs out and were asking questions to random drivers. Seemed like those pulling toys got the most attention. Line was about two dozen cars long, took an extra 15 minutes or so to get through, got the green light.

And yeah, we noticed the guy (standing on the right side of the road) w/ the radar gun on the way out of Sonoyta. After the short cut I was rollin' at about 10mph, just waiting for him.

Coming back through the border on Tuesday at noon (stayed an extra day--too nice to leave on Monday), there were only about 3 cars ahead of us split into 2 lanes. Guard didn't care that I didn't have a passport, barely looked at my birth certificate (I appear very Caucasian). He didn't even give me a warning, even though he tapped all around the car & made us open the trunk and was all business, very serious.

There was an extra stop into Tucson just prior to Sells (or 3 Points--I dunno, I was sleeping), the usual place they set up. Guy joked that he could hear someone kicking in the trunk. A new one for me--thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited:

fasteddy

I there any problems coming across without a passport? I have some friends who haven't received theirs yet. what do they make you do if you just have DL and birth certificate?

JimMcG

I there any problems coming across without a passport? I have some friends who haven't received theirs yet. what do they make you do if you just have DL and birth certificate?
Provide them with the receipt for the passport application.

See my post above regarding the passport. 3rd time I've been through since the new "law" went into effect in June. I do plan on getting one, though, just been lazy, cheap--and a little curious!