Border Report (July 2, 2020)

EarlM

We live in Penasco full time and have been here throughout the lockdown. We had medical appointments in San Diego last week so we left town on July 3rd. This was our first trip north to USA since February. No issues departing. We returned to town yesterday (7/14) and this was our experience:

No line of cars and we crossed Lukeville border south around 2:00PM. Got red light and they poked through all our stuff and asked if we had any guns (they have not asked us that in the past). We showed receipts for some new/boxed items we had in the car (under $300) but the inspector seemed more interested in looking for firearms. While we were stopped, every car behind us also got a red light, three cars or so. We were waived by at the National Guard checkpoint right after the border. Sonoyta roads were fairly empty, no police in sight. We wore our masks and did the crawl through town.

When we arrived at the sanitation road block in Puerto Penasco with about three vehicles in front of us. There are two lines, one for residents and one for tourists. We have our permanent resident cards so we went in the resident line. The man looked at our cards, smiled and gestured us to get out and walk through the sanitation tunnel. They took our temps as we came out of the tunnel. We returned to the car and they sprayed the front seats and dash with magic bug solution. We then drove off and were on our way to our house. That was it. No forms. No stickers. No questions. The tourist line seemed to take longer and there were people with papers in their hands like they had to fill out things. We had current CFE bills and other papers to show we have a house here, but they did not ask for any of it, just looked at our residency cards. Seemed a bit chaotic, but all were friendly and it was no big deal.

As a side note, on the US side of the Lukeville crossing they were in the process of installing a large x-ray machine, like big enough for tractor trailers. This is in addition to the smaller one they have at the secondary inspection area. The new one is almost in the middle of the road as you head south to the MX entry point. You have to swerve around it towards the gas station to continue south. So money is being spent to "improve" the Lukeville port of entry.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Got red light and they poked through all our stuff and asked if we had any guns (they have not asked us that in the past). We showed receipts for some new/boxed items we had in the car (under $300) but the inspector seemed more interested in looking for firearms.
I’m guessing that the gun search was merely the work of a novice inspector hoping to confiscate a firearm, and unaware that his chances of finding a southbound US citizen stupid enough to pack a gun is around zero. Years ago, when Mexico temporarily enhanced its southbound security measures, we were somewhat harassed by a guard who asked . . . . do we have any guns? . . . . . do we own any guns? . . . . . do we like guns? . . . . . I’m thinking that, too, was not part of standard border protocol, but rather, an individual seeking to take advantage of his post.

ernesto

Well Known Member
And so now.........A homeowner can or can't get in with a CFE bill to prove ownership? You need your bank trust?

RP Life

Well Known Member

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I’m guessing that the gun search was merely the work of a novice inspector hoping to confiscate a firearm, and unaware that his chances of finding a southbound US citizen stupid enough to pack a gun is around zero. Years ago, when Mexico temporarily enhanced its southbound security measures, we were somewhat harassed by a guard who asked . . . . do we have any guns? . . . . . do we own any guns? . . . . . do we like guns? . . . . . I’m thinking that, too, was not part of standard border protocol, but rather, an individual seeking to take advantage of his post.
I agree. i think an overzealous individual can change everything. For a while we were hassled for our dog, then it was meat, now it may be guns.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I agree. i think an overzealous individual can change everything. For a while we were hassled for our dog, then it was meat, now it may be guns.
Dog pictures, dog papers, dog food, steaks, chicken.... Mexico is the KING of stopping the most inconsequential activity meanwhile, 300 yards into Mexico they're driving on the wrong side of the street, speeding, blowing through stop signs, police bribes.... LOL no dog food though!

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
They tried to make me produce a registration for a dirt bike on my last crossing. I showed them the title but they wanted a registration for a 30 yr old ATV. Gas is the big item they cram us on, we never bring gas down because they are very hard on the gas importation law.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
They tried to make me produce a registration for a dirt bike on my last crossing. I showed them the title but they wanted a registration for a 30 yr old ATV. Gas is the big item they cram us on, we never bring gas down because they are very hard on the gas importation law.
I love watching them. My girlfriend and I laugh our asses off because they always ask me for the registration to the jet ski but the best part is that they can never find the serial number tag on the hull itself. So they walk around the jet ski with my registration in their hand but actually reference NOTHING. It's such a GAME for show. Thank you for playing, now tell them what they've won Johnny!!!! 3 days in paradise!!!

I sold my old rims and tires to Villa in Cholla Bay a couple of springs ago when I got new 35's.... Against all odds I was somehow able to get 4 rims and tires (33") through aduana at 1150pm at night.... LOL I had to argue but in the end they gave way and let me pass.

The other good one in recent memory was when I had just received my new registration for the truck in the mail. I had placed the new sticker on the license plate but I left the actual registration slip on the counter in the kitchen before we left. Completely forgot it. Got all the way down there, red light, pull up and she asks for registration per usual. I can't find it. She says we have to turn around she can't let us in the country. I'm like dude, you can clearly see the new sticker on the plate for 2 years.... after arguing and having STEAM come out of my ears she finally let us pass. I was PISSED!!!!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well... be prepared to KEEP ALL VALUABLE ITEMS and OR WALLET PURSE ON PERSON for the foreseeable future....

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Gas is the big item they cram us on, we never bring gas down because they are very hard on the gas importation law.
We always bring a 5 gallon can of gas, but put it in right at the gas station at the border, so freshly emptied by the time they inspect.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Well... be prepared to KEEP ALL VALUABLE ITEMS and OR WALLET PURSE ON PERSON for the foreseeable future....

When I went to Sonoita yesterday I parked right in the middle of their inspection area while I checked at the insurance office. There were 4 'uniformed' guys there but they only waved me through on the way back.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
We always bring a 5 gallon can of gas, but put it in right at the gas station at the border, so freshly emptied by the time they inspect.
I will sometimes bring down empty gas cans and fill them up in Sonoyta because gas is about $1 less per gallon there vs Penasco.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I will sometimes bring down empty gas cans and fill them up in Sonoyta because gas is about $1 less per gallon there vs Penasco.
Good to know. I haven't fueled up in Sonoyta in a few years because I thought they were all $4/g regardless. I sometimes have enough to get to Sonoyta but I will fill up in Penasco just so I can get to Why. $1/g is significant.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Joe before the peso crash when it was 18 to 1, gas was about $4.20 per gallon in Penasco and $3.30 in Sonoyta.
My last trip to Cholla in March gas in Sonoyta was 15.8 pesos and in Penasco it was almost 20 per liter.
Roberto or others who live in Penasco can report what gas is today. Peso rate should be 21 to 22 - 1.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe before the peso crash when it was 18 to 1, gas was about $4.20 per gallon in Penasco and $3.30 in Sonoyta.
My last trip to Cholla in March gas in Sonoyta was 15.8 pesos and in Penasco it was almost 20 per liter.
Roberto or others who live in Penasco can report what gas is today. Peso rate should be 21 to 22 - 1.
So basically, you're telling me that I should come down Aug 2?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Joe, Aug. 2 - I don't see a problem other than it's going to be Hot and Nasty Humid. Or things change for the worse in the next 2 weeks.
I'm planning on going Aug 8th for 3-4 days with some family and a neighbor so we can check on our places, put some $ on our electric accounts
drink a few beers and experience Cholla in Aug. again. (it's been a few years since we've experienced that).

Aug 1st is the date where you can get into the ocean again and sounds like entry will become easier for some.
I don't know about testing for CV? maybe or not required? This is a cluster because it changes a lot.

Need to wear a mask entering Sonoyta and Penasco in car.

For you who would be probably renting, just need a reservation at an approved Hotel/Condo/Home that has been sanitized?
Unless that has changed, not hearing much about that now.

I'm hearing you need to show your rental reservation in Sonoyta at their check point, but neighbor said he was asked in Sonoyta
where he was going and said to check on his home and nothing else needed.

There are a few posts here from people who have successfully done this.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, Aug. 2 - I don't see a problem other than it's going to be Hot and Nasty Humid. Or things change for the worse in the next 2 weeks.
I'm planning on going Aug 8th for 3-4 days with some family and a neighbor so we can check on our places, put some $ on our electric accounts
drink a few beers and experience Cholla in Aug. again. (it's been a few years since we've experienced that).

Aug 1st is the date where you can get into the ocean again and sounds like entry will become easier for some.
I don't know about testing for CV? maybe or not required? This is a cluster because it changes a lot.

Need to wear a mask entering Sonoyta and Penasco in car.

For you who would be probably renting, just need a reservation at an approved Hotel/Condo/Home that has been sanitized?
Unless that has changed, not hearing much about that now.

I'm hearing you need to show your rental reservation in Sonoyta at their check point, but neighbor said he was asked in Sonoyta
where he was going and said to check on his home and nothing else needed.

There are a few posts here from people who have successfully done this.
I haven't seen anything about needing credentials now after Aug 1. Did you see my other post from last night about Cholla Bay having a guard station at the entrance?! Obviously I'll just give Hippie or Villa a heads up and have someone come get my ass if we're not staying in CB but damn this is frustrating. Air BnB prices have NOT gone down. Typical Mexico. Because they haven't had income for 4 months they're now in GOUGING mode. Unlike capitalism supply is NOT meeting demand in Rocky Point.... No money for 4 months???? Drop price and rake???? NOPE!!! Not in Mexico. They are going to try and GOUGE their way back from all that lost revenue. No joke, we window shopped San Diego and Rocky Point is now officially more expensive than San Diego. what a fucking joke. Air BnB business model: LIST PRICE $52/NIGHT Fees $78 for a grand total of $130 a night! Like huh????!!! Why are the fees always the equivalent of another nights worth of money?! $42 to clean a one bedroom?! Our footprint is so light I bet you wouldn't be able to tell that we even stayed in some of these places after we leave.... JOKE!!!!!

playaperro

El Pirata
National guard are new guys started by A last year, they drive white trucks and uniform say NG on sleeve, Army guys are the ones right after border crossing, Marines were the ones controlling the entrance to Penasco, says Marines on chest, Be like mixing us customs and border patrol at border.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Joe, I missed that post,
Yep the rentals are trying to make up for 4 months of nada. The Fees and cleaning are inflated now.

The days of getting a rental deal are over because the place has to be registered with the City to get approved for sanitizing
and people to use it.
Fee's and taxes add 20%, sanitizing another $30-60, cleaning $35-75, Damage waiver etc add's more.

Lot's of renters were not collecting the taxes and fees before (to attract more renters because their rentals were cheaper without charging the fees)
or collecting it and not paying it to the city. This was happening mucho before, by private owners.
That's over now, Penasco is controlling this to make sure fees and taxes are reported and collected, paid to the city.