bottom fishing southern sea of cortez

imstillsouthtexasreds

Street Magician
Fishing next week north of Cabo. Is that bottom fishery more or less the same as what y'all experience? If yes, any tips you can give?

I've not bottom fished there, but when I do bottom fish, I like to use heavy knife jigs, or sometimes big live bait (if I'm feeling lazy).

Thoughts appreciated.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Not the same. And not the same fish. You can fish jigs (depending on where you are) for jurel (yellowtail) and use live baits for big pargo. The best fishing in that area is usually casting surface jigs for roosterfish near shore. We've also slayed some really nice african pompano using live sardines for bait north of Cabo, but on the Pacific side. Great eating fish! I've always found that most of the captains don't want to bottomfish down that way. They'd rather go troll for tuna, dorado, and billfish, so a lot of them don't even have bottom GPS marks where they know the structure, reefs, etc. Not saying all of them, but that's been my observation in the past. South they troll and up north we bottomfish. Water depth also has a lot to do with it. Our deepest hole is about 600 ft., over by Consag Rock near San Felipe. Once you get south of the Midriff Islands, water depth goes to the 1000's not all that far offshore. Big difference when trying to bottomfish.

Watch this to get an idea of what it looks like underwater in the east cape area. There are bottom fish available but most fishing operations target the surface for pelagic species of game fish.

imstillsouthtexasreds

Street Magician
Thanks for the info and video guys.

I've been doing some research and have decided to take my 7yo with me. We are staying in SJD Cabo so will leave out of that marina. I've looked at some panga options. One outfit has a big Everglades CC, figured a boat like that would be better for him.

Anyone familiar with the charter ops there? Any recs? He is dying to catch a billfish (with a little help from me). Is it possible up there at this time of year, or do we need to go out of Cabo? I'm concerned the seas might be a little sporty for him if we head south.

If they are still around (it's been several years) we had great luck with Gaviota's Fleet out of the marina in Cabo. Last time there we caught and released 6 striped marlin and boated 10-12 good sized dorado in one trip.
Again, it's been a while but their boats were pretty new and clean, Capt. and crew knew what they were doing and everybody spoke English.
-Good luck

joester

2 salty dawgs
if not too late - check out Eric with Gordo Banks Pangas - his boats are in the Puerto Los Cabos marina. We have fished with Chame on the Killer 2 a few times - nice 26' center console -
room for 3 to fish. He's a great man who really works the area - he has some 300plus # yellow fin in his past. We like that he uses lighter tackle - mostly 20 -30# gear - shooting for tuna and dorado mostly.
we have yet to target wahoo - but will keep trying.
http://gordobanks.com/

KDM

King of Da FOO!
Watch this to get an idea of what it looks like underwater in the east cape area. There are bottom fish available but most fishing operations target the surface for pelagic species of game fish.

Incredible biomass there!!!! Obviously a marine sanctuary, but is that indicative of the northern reaches of the Sea of Cortes??? Have fished Cabo and Lapaz a number of times but strickly for pelagics

joester

2 salty dawgs
Cabo Pulmo is a special place - the fish there have increased about 480% since it became protected. We were there 2 years ago, did some snorkeling - beautiful.
Love that little off-the-grid village - we'll be returning there next trip to that area of baja.

Reactions: KDM

imstillsouthtexasreds

Street Magician
if not too late - check out Eric with Gordo Banks Pangas - his boats are in the Puerto Los Cabos marina. We have fished with Chame on the Killer 2 a few times - nice 26' center console -
room for 3 to fish. He's a great man who really works the area - he has some 300plus # yellow fin in his past. We like that he uses lighter tackle - mostly 20 -30# gear - shooting for tuna and dorado mostly.
we have yet to target wahoo - but will keep trying.
http://gordobanks.com/
This is the outfitter I had found online and was going to fish....until we got here and I ate my first meal at the resort on Sunday. Yep, puke city for the past day and a half. I've never been so violently ill in my life.

I've eaten my way across Latin America, and spent a good portion of 6 years in Colombia...all without issue. But something got me this time. And my sister in law just walked in the door from dinner, and she's sick now also. I'm hoping it's just food poisoning so it doesn't spread to the kids. I'll try to get on the water Thursday and will report back if I do.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This is the outfitter I had found online and was going to fish....until we got here and I ate my first meal at the resort on Sunday. Yep, puke city for the past day and a half. I've never been so violently ill in my life.

I've eaten my way across Latin America, and spent a good portion of 6 years in Colombia...all without issue. But something got me this time. And my sister in law just walked in the door from dinner, and she's sick now also. I'm hoping it's just food poisoning so it doesn't spread to the kids. I'll try to get on the water Thursday and will report back if I do.
Bummer! Immodium is your friend, get to the pharmacia and get some, pronto.

In all my years of traveling Mexico, have only had it happen once, but hit me like a ton of bricks while out fishing. Hope you feel better!

GV Jack

Snorin God
If you're down there and don't have Imodium, get Treda or it's generic at the pharmacia. Works great.

Landshark

If you're down there and don't have Imodium, get Treda or it's generic at the pharmacia. Works great.
That's what I've heard too. Made these notes to self:
Treda for food poisoning - antibiotic
Ah- Midol - 2 tablets for parasite infection. Take 1 dose

Incredible biomass there!!!! Obviously a marine sanctuary, but is that indicative of the northern reaches of the Sea of Cortes??? Have fished Cabo and Lapaz a number of times but strickly for pelagics
We have been diving in the San Carlos area and there are lots of fish there but it is different. We see lots of small leopard groupers, panamic Graysbys, Flag Cabrilla, grunts and snappers. We do not see the giant schools of jacks that are in the lower SEa of Cortez. We see tons of Passer Angels and many Cortez Angels as well so butterflyfish and puffers and so much more.

KDM

King of Da FOO!
We have been diving in the San Carlos area and there are lots of fish there but it is different. We see lots of small leopard groupers, panamic Graysbys, Flag Cabrilla, grunts and snappers. We do not see the giant schools of jacks that are in the lower SEa of Cortez. We see tons of Passer Angels and many Cortez Angels as well so butterflyfish and puffers and so much more.
Greatly appreciate the information!!!!

KDM

King of Da FOO!

man that sucks bad. Happened to me first time inCozumel. Lomotil and me got real friendly on that trip. 1st day I could not leave my room!!!