Bouyweather accuracy

I've seen posts about the Buoyweather site on the fishing forum, but though I'd ask the question here.

How accurate has the site been in terms of wind/water conditions in the Penasco area? How far in advance does it give you forecasts?

I could probably check the site, but I know it's a "pay" site....and don't know how much info is available on the "freebie" section...if they still have it.

P

pikeu68

Bouyweather is about as accurate as any other weather predictor. Some days it is right on the money and other days it is not even close. The site is still available and you can look at the 2 day forcast for free and this tends to be the most reliable because it is the most recent. There is a 7 day forcast, but it changes frequently. The best way that we have found to determine the fishing conditions is to get out of bed and go look at the water and then decide what to do.

Thanks pikeu68....the getting out of bed is great if you're down in Penasco already.....

I'll check out the free 2 day stuff....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
As said, the 2-day is free, the 7-day is like $99 a year. I have a subscription. Overall, the accuracy is good in the 2 day range, but like the weather itself, changes during the 7 day.

Where I find it useful is looking at trends and for trip planning, not so much specific accuracy in a prediction. Perfect example: I was going to come down over the 4th and take my boat to fish Lobos. Early in the week, Buoy was showing red flag conditions for the weekend on Saturday. By Thursday, that changed to yellow flag conditions, but still showed a substantial blow lasting most of the weekend. So, I opted not to spend the money to drive down, stay, fill the boat with gas -- only to be stuck on the beach. And blow it did nearly all weekend.

It may be a little off on any given day, but as a trend tool, it's extremely accurate.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Agree with Stuart-

I also have a full subscription, and the 7 day can shift frequently as the days get nearer, but usually the 2 day is pretty close to what you will actually see on the water

One other point I would make is learning how to read the wave charts. Wave height is only half the picture- the other is the wave period (measured in seconds between the peaks).

Don't just assume that because the wave heights are .5 to .6 meter that things will be rough; If they are .5 meter rollers on a 12 second interval then that is actually quite manageable.

Now, .5 meter at 2 or 3 seconds is definitely pretty sloppy.

I'll be watching the forecast for next weekend (17-19) trying to decide if I will drive down to RP, or out to San Diego to fish the Coronados.

Thanks.....Yeah...I've done enough sailing....the wave period is something to look...have to look at the freebie 2 day to see if that's given....