Bringing patio furniture down...any tips?

DeniseAck

Well Known Member
Hi all--

First off, I don't want to start a discussion about the ethics of avoiding import tax. That being said, I really wouldn't have the time to go around from store to store in Penasco to find what I needed. So, we're bringing some furniture down from AZ in an open pickup bed. I've heard that sometimes you have to pay tax on imports, but I've also heard that you can get a "pass" to furnish a home. And if it's your own furniture (eg: you say it's used), it's not a problem at all. It's not a ton of stuff, but we planned to take it out of the boxes anyway. (A couple of lounges, a couple of chairs, a glider bench.) We don't have to scuff it up or anything, right?

Thanks!

mtburman

nope, just put it in the truck and hope for green light. I have been stopped with numerous "used" items, no issue. Been stopped with new mattress, household items, no issues. Only time I paid tax was when i requested too, one time.

Complete remodel of condo, stopped 3-4 times, never anything more than a question or two.

mis2810

Well Known Member
We brought down a ton of new stuff. Most of it was taken out of the boxes but not all. Luckily, we only got the red light once. I think we paid $75.00 on about $500 worth of stuff. The other trips we were lucky to get green.

jerry

Well Known Member
Have some receipts from say Denise's Resale Barn. For 25 % of value ready...my bet is they will pull you over with that much stuff...best to spread it out

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Take all out of original packaging and use the phrase "Usado" (used) or Segunda mano, (second hand) if you get the red light.
But really hope to get the Green light and continue on with a quick wave to the agents.

mis2810

Well Known Member
The problem with a lot of the furniture we brought down was that it needed to be assembled. We hid a ton of stuff flat, under what looked like the flat bottom of the SUV. It's easier to hide stuff when it's enclosed in an SUV rather than a pick-up. We made sure the SUV didn't look like the Beverly Hillbillies when you looked through the windows, either. They can still pull you over even if you get the green light. The extra $$ was only for December and January - for Xmas gifts, etc.

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
We was faced with the same dilema. We needed patio furniture but I got tired of being a "smuggler". The last few times we needed furniture I hired a broker and paid the tax on my "used" furniture. The last time we went to Sam's Club in town and found what we needed. The price was extremely reasonable and they delivered. Must admit I felt good about supporting local business.

mis2810

Well Known Member
We was faced with the same dilema. We needed patio furniture but I got tired of being a "smuggler". The last few times we needed furniture I hired a broker and paid the tax on my "used" furniture. The last time we went to Sam's Club in town and found what we needed. The price was extremely reasonable and they delivered. Must admit I felt good about supporting local business.
With some stuff that's fine - like patio furniture. But there was no place locally that I could find modern, contemporary style furniture. I did not want my condo to be decorated in the Mexican rustic style. Not that I have anything against that, but everyone does it to death. We get a lot of Mexican nationals renting our place and they don't want Mexican rustic decor - they want modern. We have fresh bright walls, dark espresso wood furniture and our accessories have all the color.

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
Is what we thought but it changes for 1 tem to multiple items. We had 3 people in car and an a/c unit at $750 and they said could only claim a maximum of $300 duty free per car load on one item. My sister corrected me and said they tried to say $75 per person but she had new rules on ipad which she brought up to custom lady...rules had just newly changed so was a bit of confusion. Is $300 per person on multiple items. So 15% duty was paid on balance. When they were looking at a/c unit she was asking if we had more, had we understood the law better and had said yes, we would of got $900 exemption and no duty. Still was a huge savings over mexican cost. Is nice you can combine exemptions with others as canada / usa border will not allow it. We claimed it as it was such a huge item and had read duty was much higher if they found it during red light search....was also something we definitly could not say was used.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Go to Elektra. They have all kinds of appliances there at a very reasonable price. I paid 290 bucks for a 9 cubic foot fridge last year. They also deliver for 8 bucks.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Go to Elektra. They have all kinds of appliances there at a very reasonable price. I paid 290 bucks for a 9 cubic foot fridge last year. They also deliver for 8 bucks.
Thanks. I just had guessed that if there were an appliance place in town, there would be no variety. Will check it out.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
All new. The same fridge I got for 290 at Elektra was 475 at Coppels. I am bad with street names but it is east of Benito around Simon Morua. You can see the sign from Benito.