Can I get in and out without a Passport??

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
Came through on Tuesday around 1pm, only one lane open (the far right one), after about 20 minutes another lane opened. Agent had one car in front of ours, we both had AZ DL, he took them, asked why we didn't have our passports, etc. We went through the motions, apologized, said it was a last-minute trip. What was different than the usual experience was that he said, "I can't wait until the end of the month (May), because then I get to send people into that building there (the main office to the right) and tell them it's going to cost $50 each to do the administrative paperwork!" I can't find anything online about this, especially recent, and nothing on the cbp.gov site, but it seems like this was rumored/floated years ago.

Any truth to what he said?
Why don't you get some passport cards??

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
I agree, at least get pp card. I would not doubt if they did send people in as it slows lines down when people dont have pp. A friend was told that spring break was brutal for this as many college kids did not have pp and it caused long lines at border which in return makes tourists negative on rp due to these long waits. There already is enough tourists tired of the long line into mexico on busy weekends.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Came through on Tuesday around 1pm, only one lane open (the far right one), after about 20 minutes another lane opened. Agent had one car in front of ours, we both had AZ DL, he took them, asked why we didn't have our passports, etc. We went through the motions, apologized, said it was a last-minute trip. What was different than the usual experience was that he said, "I can't wait until the end of the month (May), because then I get to send people into that building there (the main office to the right) and tell them it's going to cost $50 each to do the administrative paperwork!" I can't find anything online about this, especially recent, and nothing on the cbp.gov site, but it seems like this was rumored/floated years ago.

Any truth to what he said?
The border agents are still letting people through with only a DL and a birth certificate.
My son and girlfriend came back into the USA 3 weeks ago, the girlfriend only had a DL and birth cert.
The agent reminded her that she needs a passport/card to comply with the HSA guidelines.
It added 2 minutes to the process. I'm sure the speech varies with the disposition of the border agent. No added fee either.

Bottom line is not having a passport/card won't prevent you from crossing back currently, but will speed up the process of entering back into the USA.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Russ posted this a couple of years ago:
The need for a passport to reenter the USA by land is embodied in a legal "initiative" It is the WHTI initiative. Because it is a land crossing it is different from an air or sea entrance to the country. The WHTI initiative does not replace the US constitution which provides it's citizens the right to re-enter the the country of their birth without this document.

14th amendment: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdictionthereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

As long as you can prove you were born in the USA you have the right to reenter the country without a passport. Drivers license - ssn or any other valid proofs of "belonging", as has been said before, they pretty much know who you are before anyone even talks to you.

Regarding ID in the southbound lane. They cannot ask to see your passport. You may use it out of convenience but it is not necessary. A drivers license suffices, I use mine and it is a Mexican DL.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
This article and a couple of others say it could be in effect by end of may. Akso, with the usa exit/entry tracking system inititive coming to fruition,it wont be long before passports are required going south

http://societystays.com/americans-travelling-without-a-passport-could-face-potential-fines/
"The proposal, which could be approved as early as May..." Key words are "could be." This was all I was asking about, the actual letter of the law. Or, the "rules," as many keep saying.

Thanks!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I left home in a rush last week and forgot my wallet, with pp card in it, as I was handing to him the card they give you along with your passport in case you loose it and he said "no good, just give me your name and date of birth" in less than 3 seconds he had ALL my history in front of him, he even asked me a question that nobody else would know but me, back from the days when I first got my "Alien Registration Card" as I came from Mars!!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I left home in a rush last week and forgot my wallet, with pp card in it, as I was handing to him the card they give you along with your passport in case you loose it and he said "no good, just give me your name and date of birth" in less than 3 seconds he had ALL my history in front of him, he even asked me a question that nobody else would know but me, back from the days when I first got my "Alien Registration Card" as I came from Mars!!!

INKA!!!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
IMHO this is BASURA. I have people ask me all the time if they can go to RP without a Passport and I always respond, "YES". I then refer to our FORUM for subject information and LA VERDAD. I disagree with previous statements. I think the Passport desire has hurt the travel to RP. People are worried that they cant go in fear of not having a passport. Incorrect. I have told many to go regardless because it is a FACT that you can return without passport. If it is a fact then there isnt a conversation. I DO always inform that ICE agents aren't going to be the most pleasant when you don't comply with the norms but again, it isnt illegal. You're going to get the, "please comply with standards" flyer and heavy tone like the agent is your mom that is really, "disappointed with you". Again, and with all due respect to ICE which has been INCREDIBLY CONSIDERATE and FRIENDLY in the past couple of years (Thank you!!) It isnt illegal therefore, if it isn't within your means to purchase a card or passport before your travels, GO! I do agree that if you plan to come multiple times a year at the very least get the electronic chip card for very cheap and added convenience of quick entry.

I suggest the passport card which was $45 (Back in the day) but I believe is now $50 or $60. When you pull up two back from the window the reader scans your electronic card and displays a number on the screen. This number identifies how many electronic passport cards are in the vehicle. IMO this speeds up the process because the ICE agent knows who is in the vehicel and how frequently you cross. Associated with a license plate it is easier for the ICE agent to profile or determine a certain probability. I hope I dont get second for that comment JAJAJAJA. I LOVE ICE!!! In my experience there is a certain amount of respect that I have been given using the electronic passport card because it makes their job easier at least to some extent, not that their job is easy.

As mentioned above, it does speed up the process and is favorable in ICE opinion however, again not illegal. Have fun. If you visit RP once a year dont bother IMHO but 4 X / YR... Yes, get the card.

CHOLLABAY4LIFE

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
This was from our subdivision facebook page as there was a discussion on whether a passport was needed. This is a couple of replues from the past 2 weeks. Of course there were many who have had no issues not having a pp but the fine is the cost of getting a pp card. I tell people now to get one as being hassled and fined coming back just once, will of course put a bad taste in ones mouth of their trip to rp.

We went two weeks ago and a couple of my friends had there i.d and birth certificate and they got held at the border and our side of the border charged them 50.00 each to come back home.

I was detained for 4 hours due to no passport, in a little trailer on the side of the damn road!! it is not fun! Don't risk it!

I just went a few weeks ago and they don't check on the way in, but on the way out I got warned. They said for anyone 16 and over will be charged $50 each time you go without a passport. This new law starts in the next 30-60 days. So for now, yes you can go with your ID and Birth certificate

JimMcG

Well Known Member
There is a big difference between forgetting to bring a current, valid passport and just not having obtained a current passport. The customs agent can pull up your passport information from your driver's licence and usually has no problem in a rare instance of forgetting to bring it, whereas not having applied for a passport puts the traveler in a completely different risk category until cleared for entry.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
For all those entering without a passport, It really makes the re-entry wait longer for everybody else in line. With a passport/card 20-30 seconds.
Without 2-3+ minutes depending on the attitudes in the car and the border agent. .
It all adds up to the wait on busy weekends.
Hopefully the proposed fines will encourage people to get a passport/card.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Do you still need a pass port to get back home or your ID?
Passport, Passport card, even a expired one all accepted at Lukeville and Nogales. Birth Cert and drivers license will also get you back into
the US at these 2 stations with a few minute delay to verify your ID. So nothing has changed in 5 years.

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Updated verification Jan 8,2022
My adult daughter wanted to go down to Rocky Point in March 2022 with us in our RV.
I tried making an appointment to get her a Passport Card.
The locations here in AZ are booked into March and then have to wait 4 to 7 weeks for it to arrive.
So, I called Lukesville Border crossing and spoke to a great guy who said...
" All she needs to get back into the USA is her original birth certificate and a drivers license."
Yes, she is a US Citizen and born here.
He repeated... ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE three times to insure I heard it and understood.
Great. Now she can join us in Puerto Penasco for two weeks.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I've brought us citizens back into the US with just a driver's license. Once, I forgot my purse and had no ID. They have ways of determining who you are!