Capones may be closed

Roberto

Standing by at this moment are a wrecking crew and a group of police. Dave was out front with some official looking folk. There was a long running law suit over the ownership of the property but last I heard Dave won.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Standing by at this moment are a wrecking crew and a group of police. Dave was out front with some official looking folk. There was a long running law suit over the ownership of the property but last I heard Dave won.
Dave and I talked about this in the past. I also believe he won. This EXACTLY why it scares me to death to try and own and run a business in Mexico. Title issues are so damned sketchy.

Roberto

I went by there and they are removing stuff from inside and loading it on trailers. 3 full so far. Place is taped off with State police there. Saw David standing across the street just watching so it was not his guys loading the stuff. There are some speculative details on one of the Facebook pages plus photos. Word there is the man who owns the motel and the restaurant next door got a judge to declare something or the other. If true to procedure here they will strip it then tear it down immediately so it would be irrelevant to find another judge try to get an injunction. They can do that legally. There will be nothing left to get back. Apparently some apartments behind are involved and will be demolished.

That building was built on land that was sold by the city. It is half as wide as the original street. They ought to take over Las Fuentes. But looks like say goodby to he old Capones.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Really sad. Wouldn't be surprised if Dave just throws in the towel and says FU Penasco, FU Mexico. It's hard enough to build a decent business then having to contend with something like this. I do believe you are correct Roberto, it was city land. As said, he and I had a long discussion about this a few years ago while we were fishing in Mazatlan. It's been going on for awhile.

The place itself has been there as long as I can remember from my days of staying at the Best Western. I don't know the players that currently own the hotel, but I used to know the owner (an American) quite well. I had "heard" that the current owner is cartel, but that could just be BS. I do know the current owner ain't in the hotel business, that's for sure. Last time I stayed there, the place was disintegrating from the inside out. In very bad shape. I suspect they'll level it all and some new project or condos or such will appear there.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
FaceBook posts show they are back open tonight
Well, that's GOOD news. Timing being everything, horrible time for something like this to happen, just as Spring Break launches.

On Edit: I wonder how much that cost Dave. o_O

Last edited:

audsley

So did this ever get sorted out? I went to Capone's Facebook page and found no news since yesterday morning and no explanation.