CBSC Fishing Derby 18

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hey Joe.......

I've been sitting it out now for going on three weeks. Boat's geared and gassed up. The F-350 is topped off and ready to roll. Look at www.windy.com for a fairly good forecast of what to expect. It does not look good, as they are predicting the same of thirty mph and above gusts. I'll make my decision this Thursday nite. Really got some seriously bad cabin fever going on here. Might just do a Ford Raptor rumble in order to get some fresh beach air. Maybe do a Salinas Point run on Saturday to spot a few more Vaquitas Muertos on the beach. If their fresh enough and still bloody, I'll steak em out and seal em up with my Food Saver for a "soon to be extinct animal barbie" celebration. Might be some big waves slamming down on that beach.

Every day now I get in the boat and fire up the electronics then dial in "Producer" on the GPS. It farts around for a few seconds then points me a 75 mile bee-line straight to the rockpile.

JJ

Well I guess I should get it out of my head now and tell myself that the ski is staying put in Phoenix.... Claudia already made work accommodations for the weekend off so we're going to come down regardless. Pry just be a take the truck out romping kind of weekend. Haven't broken anything since the Boo Bar Poker Run on superbowl weekend... had a u joint on the driveshaft fail right before the start of the poker run but we were able to get it fixed and still caught up with the group at the 3rd stop in Ejido Lagrimas.... speaking of which, does Lagrimas still live in the Rocky Point area? He just stopped posting on the forum and I used to enjoy his insight.

JJ let me know if you're headed down. I'd be interested in a beach run out that way as well. Thanks to everyone that provided their input on the wind report. I will start using a few of those sites as well as windfinder.com

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Joe............

I'll let you know on Thursday afternoon.

If the winds continue Friday night and into Saturday there should be some awesome surf conditions. Last year around this time we were eating lunch at one of the Sonoran Sun, Spa or something or others. The wind was really howling and the surf was eight or ten feet high. There were a bunch of people hunkered around the pool out there and we were checking out the destruction when all of the sudden a pod of Bottle Nosed Dolphins came in and started riding the waves. They took em in right up to the surf cresting and slamming down on the sand. At the last second they did a flip an headed out to catch another. Sometimes five or six would be shoulder to shoulder. Not one person sitting out at the pool ever noticed them! Same as the day a few weeks ago at JJ's when we watched a solitary Vaquita slowly cruise the shallows hunting for Cabrillas with fifty people sitting, standing and bullshitting on the outdoor patio. Not one of them noticed the porpoise other than a few kids in the water on puff-up kayakies.

JJ

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well.... SUNDAY isn't going quietly... Wind report is showing a slightly varied report for Sunday now .... Creeping into the realm of possible ... 12-15 out of the South... Needs to come down a little more ... Just enough to give me hope and tickle my d!©K

Kenny

Well Known Member
It's that time of the year again. Time for the annual Cholla Bay Sportsmen's Club fishing derby. First weekend is next weekend and hoping the wind will die down a little. I was able to get the jet ski down to CB twice in March for Spring Break although I can't say that I truly fished too hard. It was more of a shakedown run but had a good time with no real issues at all. I have since upgraded my fish finder system with a new Garmin Striker 4 color graph with GPS and waypoint navigation with CHIRP sonar for better clarity. I can honestly say this FF is the best one I've personally ever owned. The detail of the sonar is much better. I have also gotten my hands on some MARKS that I would like to hit for the fishing derby given the sea conditions permit. During my first two trips in March I ran the ski out of CB all the way over near PDO which is almost 10 miles one way. Most of the marks that I obtained are in the 5-8 mile range with some as close as 2.5-3 miles. I have VHF on board so I believe this is the time to go for it weather permitting.

Maybe the PROS can chime in to let me know if those marks will produce anything decent.

Until then tight lines!

ChollaBay4Life
I know this will go directly to your head old friend, but you sure as hell are looking good theses days.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
So Joe..........

Saturdays prediction is 40 mph. plus. Monday will be FLAT.

So, I'll just stay here. Planning on cooking up a big pot of West Texas Style Roadkill Chili. I'll be out on the Gila Saturday morning near Hyder with my lever action Henry Golden Boy rifle scrounging up some meat for the pot. A dozen Juancitos (Roundtailed Ground Squirrels), a Thumper (Cottontail Rabbit) or two and maybe nail a Pancake Turtle (Softshell Turtle) basking along the river bank. Get home, skin em, gut em and toss em in the pot till the meat falls off the bones. Along with five pounds of Pinto Beans, couple Onions, a hand full of fresh Garlic and a heap of just picked homegrown Tomatoes from my garden. Some salsa and salt to spice it all up. All simmering over a Mesquite and Ironwood fire.

Wish you could be here!

JJ

Kenny

Well Known Member
So Joe..........

So, I'll just stay here. Planning on cooking up a big pot of West Texas Style Roadkill Chili. I'll be out on the Gila Saturday morning near Hyder with my lever action Henry Golden Boy rifle scrounging up some meat for the pot. A dozen Juancitos (Roundtailed Ground Squirrels), a Thumper (Cottontail Rabbit) or two and maybe nail a Pancake Turtle (Softshell Turtle) basking along the river bank. Get home, skin em, gut em and toss em in the pot till the meat falls off the bones. Along with five pounds of Pinto Beans, couple Onions, a hand full of fresh Garlic and a heap of just picked homegrown Tomatoes from my garden. Some salsa and salt to spice it all up. All simmering over a Mesquite and Ironwood fire.

Wish you could be here!

JJ
Without some pictures, it never happened.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
I'll tell you something Mr. K.............

You won't find many if any "pictures" in the books by William Hornaday, Jim Corbett, John Steinbeck, William Beebe and hundreds of others.

You do realize that on any street corner in Mexico you can buy little 4"x 6" full color, action adventure "funny books" without any words in them at all? Excellent entertainment for the illiterate. No need to know how to read in any language. Popular for butt wipe as well.

By the way, can you communicate in more than six words? I'm juzt axeing ya.

JJ

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Without some pictures, it never happened.
We did spend about 4 nights together in the same bedroom in May 2011 at Jerry's! LOL and thanks Kenny! Feeling pretty good. Still trying to stay active. We need to get the Corvina Hunt going again!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So Joe..........

Wish you could be here!

JJ
I'm only doing a turn and burn anyways... Sunday is looking pretty decent if it's 10 or under that would be better weather than 2 weeks ago when I caught the Pinto,... It's worth it if I can get out one of the two days. We're going regardless so it's suck sand on Saturday and wish I brought the skeeter on Sunday or bring the ski, suck sand on Saturday and then have the skeetdoo to go out a majority of the day Sunday and then back to phoenix to go on 5 day work grind.... If tomorrow evening the wind report is saying the same thing about Sunday Im hooking up the skeetdoo to the rig and it's on! FOR THE DREAM... so heavy! Right now 8-9 miles per hour all day not gusting higher than 10 all day that's GOLDEN!!! FOR THE DREAM!!!!

CHOLLABAY4LIFE​

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Is this Mexican fishing license that can be purchased online only good for baja or can I buy and use it for THE SOC ? Saw the marinas out there last time down and got paranoid they were going to arrest me and confiscate my jet ski ... I never had to worry about no license with the kayak but now with the jet ski should I be concerned about fishing without a license ?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Your fishing license for Baja is good for anywhere in Mexico.

FYI - The Mexican Marines don't give a damn about your fishing license. I offered mine up one time during a routine stop and the Capt. said he didn't need it. Gave him my TIP for my boat and he was grateful to have that. Basically, one guy took a quick look in the cabin, saw fishing gear, didn't give a damn. They were looking for drugas. Didn't check safety gear or anything else. All polite and very friendly during the stop. Got the impression the Capt. just had to have some numbers on a piece of paper to show he was doing his job.

If PESCA is around, they DO check licenses. Says PESCA on the side of their older center console boat, but in all my years, I've only seen them around once, maybe twice.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Is this Mexican fishing license that can be purchased online only good for baja or can I buy and use it for THE SOC ? Saw the marinas out there last time down and got paranoid they were going to arrest me and confiscate my jet ski ... I never had to worry about no license with the kayak but now with the jet ski should I be concerned about fishing without a license ?
For Joe, Here is the place I was telling you about.

20180421_151939a_resized.jpg

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Your fishing license for Baja is good for anywhere in Mexico.

FYI - The Mexican Marines don't give a damn about your fishing license. I offered mine up one time during a routine stop and the Capt. said he didn't need it. Gave him my TIP for my boat and he was grateful to have that. Basically, one guy took a quick look in the cabin, saw fishing gear, didn't give a damn. They were looking for drugas. Didn't check safety gear or anything else. All polite and very friendly during the stop. Got the impression the Capt. just had to have some numbers on a piece of paper to show he was doing his job.

If PESCA is around, they DO check licenses. Says PESCA on the side of their older center console boat, but in all my years, I've only seen them around once, maybe twice.
Thanks Stuart

Kenny

Well Known Member
I'll tell you something Mr. K.............

You won't find many if any "pictures" in the books by William Hornaday, Jim Corbett, John Steinbeck, William Beebe and hundreds of others.

You do realize that on any street corner in Mexico you can buy little 4"x 6" full color, action adventure "funny books" without any words in them at all? Excellent entertainment for the illiterate. No need to know how to read in any language. Popular for butt wipe as well.

By the way, can you communicate in more than six words? I'm juzt axeing ya.

JJ
That's just a long winded way of saying that you can't take a picture, if it's just bullshit. Like Steinbeck, it's just fiction. We get it.

Last edited: