Changes in Immigration Procedure in Mexico

Besides the new rule about showing passports or other correct ID when entering Mexico as of March 1, there will be changes in FMTs, FM2s and FM3s as well. This is from an immigration lawyer in San Diego.

Mexico’s National Migration Institute published its Manual of Criteria and Migration Procedures. The Manual will be enforced as of 5/1/10 throughout the 32 delegations of the National Migration Institute in Mexico. Courtesy of AILA member Enrique Arellano.

The intention of the National Migration Institute is to clarify, streamline and simplify processing requirements for each immigration category. Applications currently being processed and those filed before May 1, 2010 will be analyzed and processed based on current policies, practices and procedures.

Some of the most relevant aspects of the Manual are the following:
• All migratory forms for tourists, business visitors and technical visitors with lucrative activities, who intend to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days, will be replaced by a single “FMM” form (“Forma Migratoria Múltiple”).

http://www.visalawyerblog.com/global_immigration/
Follow the link to read the rest. (This is copyrighted material and it's against the law to post the whole thing without permission) ;)

I already wrote about the FMM a while back, and I'll be writing about it the whole thingl in The Tides within the next day or two but thought you all might like a heads up. (That's a very informative site for immigration issues, by the way. Lots of good stuff in it.)

Oh, and that new "show your papers" law? Baja officials have already said they aren't going to enforce it at the Otay Mesa and San Ysidro crossings other than occasional spot checks. Those border crossings are so busy it would be impossible, and would seriously slow down traffic (at least until they get new electronic thingies to process it all). We'll have to wait and see how it goes at Lukeville.

Roberto

" Upon entry, the foreign national
must obtain the new FM2 or FM3 migration card within 30 days."

Hmmmm. I applied for renewal in November of 09 and don't have it yet.

Last edited: