Charities, Volunteering, etc.

I'm compiling a list of charities, volunteer opportunities, things like that for RP Tides, and I'd like your help in making it as complete as possible. Here are the organizations, I've got, but anything I've missed and/or any information that should be included would be very much appreciated. In no particular order:

• Adopt a Classroom (RockyPointClassroom.com-- I think I've got enough info on that, but Mark if you want something special in there let me know)
  • 2 Fish Ministries (I have the website address and info that's in there)
  • Lion's Club (it's my understanding that this is a Spanish language club so far, and though Gringos are welcome no "American" branch is in Penasco yet. Yes? No?)
  • Esperanza Para Los Ninos (I think I have enough info on this one)
  • Penasco Children's Foundation (Ditto to above)
  • CEDO (that's an easy one)
  • Larry D. Large Foundation (plenty of info available)
  • Rocky Point Animal Adoption Center (Nancy Phelan's excellent operation)
  • Red & Terri's Puppy Rescue (plenty of info on their website)
  • AMOR Children's Home (I've got enough to go with on this)
Who am I missing? Anyone have ideas for anything that ought to be included in this list to make it really helpful?

Thanks in advance, guys. Post your responses here, or email me directly (or both) at [email protected]

Andrea, you may want to add Manos de Ayuda, Inc. they will be the recipients of the wheelchairs that Bill Hale has brought down for us. This organization is a consortium of doctors that set up a monthly medical clinic to help out needy children here in Rocky Point.

You may also want to talk to trade a.k.a. Harold Tuttle and his wife Kathy, they have built the Community Center and are doing wonderful work in the barrio Oriente, operating food drives and distribution and many other helpful programs. Their organization is "Esperanza Para Nueva Vida" Harold has been a big help to Barb and I and our efforts with the schools. I just returned from visiting Harold who brought me the 5 faucets we needed for our new school Thank You once again Harold.

Also DIF is a great cause... this organization teaches home skills to single parent families and a daycare center and I believe soon a hospice... Mentiras y Traición has a post on this forum with information about the walk and vigil to raise awareness and funds to build the Hospice for cancer victoms DIF Sponsored Cancer Walk

Last edited:

Kenny

brings unity and strength

:usa:It's great to see people joining forces to help those in need, especially at the local community level. With the population rising, staying connected and working together brings unity and strength to those who might not otherwise have a voice, or a way to get the resources they need :mexico:

Kenny

Caborca is my towns sister city.

Last edited:
:usa:It's great to see people joining forces to help those in need, especially at the local community level. With the population rising, staying connected and working together brings unity and strength to some who might otherwise have no voice, or a way to get the resources they need :mexico:

Kenny

Caborca is my towns sister city.
Well Said Kenny...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was told several months ago that the AMOR childrens home had closed. I have some things I would like to donate. Please tell me where they are.

It looks like you're right about AMOR closing. I hadn't finished my research yet when I posted those, but their website is gone and I haven't been able to reach anyone via email yet so it doesn't look promising. It's a shame, too! If I find out differently I'll let you know. As for the donations, 2Fish Ministries says it accepts donations of food and clothing at the Black Dog (ask for Maria). You might give that a try. They're apparently feeding a lot of people these days (see http://2fishministriesrockypoint.com/ )

Jim

Here is a good cause

Are you coming down for the Rocky Point Rally or anytime in November? Visit the Camel Toe Cantina and bring along some sporting goods for the Youth Sports Foundation of Rocky Point or school supplies for Adopt-A-Classroom of Rocky Point, and the CTC...will give you a free draft beer and shot of tequilla... Please see the flyer for details. Thanks.Camel Toe Charity Flyer.jpg

trade

Hi all! Thanks for kind words Mark, I logged on awhile ago to catch up but life got in the way:shock: We have a non profit in the US (AIM) and in Mexico (La Esperanza Para Nuevo Vida AC) "Hope for A New Life" We have been working in Mexico for 10 years as of this year! It does go fast. We build houses, churches, a couple of buildings for rehab centers and our latest venture a community center. As with all the other projects this will also be gifted to the local community. They have been very helpful with constuction and day to day operations. We also distribute 4000 lbs, of food each month. We have done medical clinics in the past but in the future I think it would be best to support Manos De Ayuda as they do a wonderful job with monthly clinics! If you feel led to help we always need food:-D You can contact me via a PM or Mark (Seadweller) Our center is at Lazaro Cardenas & Ave. 54. We are having a fiesta there Saturday the 7th of November. along with our monthly food distribution. Lastly we are almost finished with the community center but need some help with the plumbing. The plumber who was coming down ran into some problems and can't finish. He has it partly done with copper tubing and PECS.

Harold if I can keep Rick off of his boat for a couple days we will try to get over there this week... since the wind is blowing he can't go out fishing anyway...

trade

That would be fantastic! flushing toilets and showers! The girls are going to love you guys! Thank you!!!

Hi all! Thanks for kind words Mark, I logged on awhile ago to catch up but life got in the way:shock: We have a non profit in the US (AIM) and in Mexico (La Esperanza Para Nuevo Vida AC) "Hope for A New Life" We have been working in Mexico for 10 years as of this year! It does go fast. We build houses, churches, a couple of buildings for rehab centers and our latest venture a community center. As with all the other projects this will also be gifted to the local community. They have been very helpful with constuction and day to day operations. We also distribute 4000 lbs, of food each month. We have done medical clinics in the past but in the future I think it would be best to support Manos De Ayuda as they do a wonderful job with monthly clinics! If you feel led to help we always need food:-D You can contact me via a PM or Mark (Seadweller) Our center is at Lazaro Cardenas & Ave. 54. We are having a fiesta there Saturday the 7th of November. along with our monthly food distribution. Lastly we are almost finished with the community center but need some help with the plumbing. The plumber who was coming down ran into some problems and can't finish. He has it partly done with copper tubing and PECS.
Trade, I'd like to add your Fiesta in my November Events list, can you give me more info for it? Also more info about your charity so I can add it to the list I'm compiling for RP Tides (http://rptides.blogspot.com ) Have you got a website?

Anyone else got any events for November (or December or...) to add to the list?

Thanks

C

cali0306

Rocky Point Charity

Hi! My family and I are traveling to Rocky Point around the holidays and we would love to help the community while there. Any orphanages that need help or if anyone knows any families or areas that are in need? Would love to help out children...if anyone has ideas or knows organizations I would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks to all...

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Hi! My family and I are traveling to Rocky Point around the holidays and we would love to help the community while there. Any orphanages that need help or if anyone knows any families or areas that are in need? Would love to help out children...if anyone has ideas or knows organizations I would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks to all...
See Seadweller's posts...

Well, I finally got my (partial) list of charities published. I still have a few to add, but I wanted to give some comprehensive information about what they do, etc. rather than just list them and it turned out to be more work than I anticipated-- and I pooped out. :oops: I'll get the rest of them in there as soon as I've recovered :lol:

If any of you wouldn't mind taking a look to see if I've goofed anywhere or need to add more info to something, I'd appreciate your input. http://rptides.blogspot.com/2009/11/charities-volunteer-opportunities-in.html

And remember, I'm not done yet-- but just maybe you know of one that I don't know about, so don't hesitate to suggest one to me.

Muchisimas gracias... :notworthy:

Are you coming down for the Rocky Point Rally or anytime in November? Visit the Camel Toe Cantina and bring along some sporting goods for the Youth Sports Foundation of Rocky Point or school supplies for Adopt-A-Classroom of Rocky Point, and the CTC...will give you a free draft beer and shot of tequilla... Please see the flyer for details. Thanks.View attachment 505
Jim, I'll give your offer a special mention in a Beach Buzz this week. Some folks will do a lot for a couple of free drinks. :coldone: :lol: