Cheap Beer

First off, almost every luxury you have in PP is because of the 1.5 million vacationers per year and all the money they add to the economy down there.

Supply and demand is as alive and well in PP as it is in NYC. Go enjoy a bottle of Coors Light in NYC for $12 per bottle!

You should probably try a nice little dive in Sonoyta. I bet you could find your Tacate there for a 1.50. You may even get lucky and get a view over that lovely Sonoyta river. Instead of having an ocean view of the Sea of Cortez, nice breeze and all, you can save $1.25 and enjoy some gas fumes in Sonoyta.

Caborca is an option also.
A smart ass reply, but getting PP back on it's is not too get defensive (the New York analogy is crap). Ask a Mexican what he pays, not what a New Yorker pays for a beer, and then you will get my point. You have been brainwashed into thing $2.75 is a steal, as it is with restaurant food. So, your line the coast justifies the prce. Wake up, yes a modes hike for view etc, but Mazatlan is a flourishing town, with better amenities than PP, and the absence of dirt and sand on streets etc, and the fact remains they have shrimp, 30% lower than PP, beers in the 28-32 range, and you know what, a freeking beautiful ocean, with great amenities and fishing. So, why is PP stagnated, and really hasnt changed since 2008 as far as the 'big recovery' can be explained by the fact that Americans, and Mexicans have alternatives. SO suck up your $2.75 beer, and count all the condo's for sale because so many are 'bailing out' of PP, with it's piss poor and more expensive Internet, water supply issues, and ...it goes on. It really is a shame because I like PP, but for a 'dust bowl' town siting on a wonderful Sea of Cortez coast, it will stay a vacation spot for those from Arizona, New Mexico, etc. Real estate prices will stay down, because investing there is a risk. The owner I made an offer and he accepted was going to lose at least 65% of his original purchase price, and was glad to put his bad investment and loss, behind him. I backed out of the deal because of a contingency, and could not be happier. So, smell the coffee, the Mexicans in PP are chargig what you allow them to be charge because of the 'oh look honey in the USA we would pay..bla,bla,bla,' WHo gives a crap about the USA. What are shrimp, or whatever, being charged to Mexicans, or anyone, in Mexico, not in NYC. In Chihuahua, a Bud, Corona, Tecate is $28 pesos.

rplarry

A smart ass reply, but getting PP back on it's is not too get defensive (the New York analogy is crap). Ask a Mexican what he pays, not what a New Yorker pays for a beer, and then you will get my point. You have been brainwashed into thing $2.75 is a steal, as it is with restaurant food. So, your line the coast justifies the prce. Wake up, yes a modes hike for view etc, but Mazatlan is a flourishing town, with better amenities than PP, and the absence of dirt and sand on streets etc, and the fact remains they have shrimp, 30% lower than PP, beers in the 28-32 range, and you know what, a freeking beautiful ocean, with great amenities and fishing. So, why is PP stagnated, and really hasnt changed since 2008 as far as the 'big recovery' can be explained by the fact that Americans, and Mexicans have alternatives. SO suck up your $2.75 beer, and count all the condo's for sale because so many are 'bailing out' of PP, with it's piss poor and more expensive Internet, water supply issues, and ...it goes on. It really is a shame because I like PP, but for a 'dust bowl' town siting on a wonderful Sea of Cortez coast, it will stay a vacation spot for those from Arizona, New Mexico, etc. Real estate prices will stay down, because investing there is a risk. The owner I made an offer and he accepted was going to lose at least 65% of his original purchase price, and was glad to put his bad investment and loss, behind him. I backed out of the deal because of a contingency, and could not be happier. So, smell the coffee, the Mexicans in PP are chargig what you allow them to be charge because of the 'oh look honey in the USA we would pay..bla,bla,bla,' WHo gives a crap about the USA. What are shrimp, or whatever, being charged to Mexicans, or anyone, in Mexico, not in NYC. In Chihuahua, a Bud, Corona, Tecate is $28 pesos.
Your post is hilarious. All the items you mentioned to disparage RP, don't matter. What a beer is priced at a given establishment is what it is. Unless you want to play the chicle game after you have slurped down you cerveza. That would be cheezy, but maybe you are the queso type of guy.

My New York analogy is spot on. If you are down at the Melecon and they charge $3 per beer, that is what you pay. I don't care about Mazatlan, or it's "beautiful freaking ocean", and all the other garbage you spewed. It is what it is.

Go to Caponne's. The highest price beers and food in town for what you get, and they could care less whether you've been to Mazatlan, PV, Cabo or Nogales. They charge what they charge and if you want a beer, you pay.

If you want a cheap beer, go to an off the trail bar or a non tourist place. Enjoy the smog and exhaust, the friendship and conversation and the dust in your mouth.

Otherwise, go to the touristy oceanfront bars and pay for the view.

End of story Ronald.

MIRAMAR

Mazatlan is beautiful, so is south of Cancun, Manzanillo, etc., but we can't drive there for a fantastic weekend whenever we want (like we did 2 days ago) so that's the beauty of Penasco.

TICO-T

Your post is hilarious. All the items you mentioned to disparage RP, don't matter. What a beer is priced at a given establishment is what it is. Unless you want to play the chicle game after you have slurped down you cerveza. That would be cheezy, but maybe you are the queso type of guy.

My New York analogy is spot on. If you are down at the Melecon and they charge $3 per beer, that is what you pay. I don't care about Mazatlan, or it's "beautiful freaking ocean", and all the other garbage you spewed. It is what it is.

Go to Caponne's. The highest price beers and food in town for what you get, and they could care less whether you've been to Mazatlan, PV, Cabo or Nogales. They charge what they charge and if you want a beer, you pay.

If you want a cheap beer, go to an off the trail bar or a non tourist place. Enjoy the smog and exhaust, the friendship and conversation and the dust in your mouth.

Otherwise, go to the touristy oceanfront bars and pay for the view.

End of story Ronald.
On the Malecon go to Lucky's Cantina. Bottle of Tecate or Tecate light is $2.25. If you pay for 6 in advance it is $2.00 per bottle. Trust me.

Picked up a 24 count case of Pacifico for 64 cents a bottle, already cold.
For the bars that still serve Pacifico at $3 a beer, equals almost a 500% profit.

We know bars buy it for less than we can so a 700% profit is likely.
The profit on other brands is the same. Since staying in a tourist town, us Gringos are a captive audience
and the bars know this $3-3.50 beer will prevail.

Think like the some locals do and enjoy food and drink in bars where specials are offered, examples Bryan's, Beach bum and others.
I really like the 13 to 1 exchange rate Bryan's has in place, so pay in pesos and enjoy more
affordable prices for meals and drinks. (works out to a 30% discount vs dollars)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
If you want cheap beer, buy it by the case and go to the beach. If you want to have an experience and enjoy one of the local watering holes then you have to buck up and pay. It could be a little difficult to have a beach front or malecon bar and make it when you sell your beer for what you can buy it for at Ley. If you can't afford it then I would say don't go to the watering hole. If you can and still like to complain......then I guess there is no answer.....get over yourself. The cantinas and other places that sell booze for the going rate will still be there when you are googling the best places to drink on the cheap in ....blah blah blah......

If you want cheap beer, buy it by the case and go to the beach. If you want to have an experience and enjoy one of the local watering holes then you have to buck up and pay. It could be a little difficult to have a beach front or malecon bar and make it when you sell your beer for what you can buy it for at Ley. If you can't afford it then I would say don't go to the watering hole. If you can and still like to complain......then I guess there is no answer.....get over yourself. The cantinas and other places that sell booze for the going rate will still be there when you are googling the best places to drink on the cheap in ....blah blah blah......
Russ, Was I just diss'd? If so.
I was pointing out the economics of beer pricing and providing a few places that do have reasonably priced food and drinks (like $2-2.50 beers).

Eventually, I will be visiting places in Mexico further from the border with nice ocean views, where you can eat and drink for 1/2 of what it costs in RP.
But since I've been coming to RP for 20+ years, I will have to contend with the "It is what it is" attitude about prices in RP for food and drink.

Oh, maybe take a case of cheap beer (Pacifico) to the beach and also experience all the good that RP has to offer, even the expensive beer. :)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
No dissing in my post just a reality check for the OP. The rents for space in RP for a cantina are higher than they are further south so the product has to cost more. It is simple economics. I just got back from Guadalajara and could not believe how reasonably priced everything was...luxo hotel downtown for about 60 usd a night, taxis (all day fare) 1000 pesos for 4 people and he took us everywhere and stayed around for us, like a personal shuttle service. a 2 hour taxi ride from Guadalajara to Tequila one way 800 pesos. Beer and food were still pricey but we were in the touristy areas but with Mexican tourist not Americanos. The new craft beers were very good but 55 pesos each, still not too bad.

Things cost what they cost and the local economy will settle out who stays in business and who is overpriced or not service minded enough and it changes with every locale. I didn't like the OP's comparo to Mazatlan as it is a different place altogether and although I love Maz I live in RP so I almost always take offense to snide remarks against her.

Thats all, don't feel dissed.

Russ , I didn't think so, and on most forums having some thicker skin is useful.

You are right, it is amazing how much less many things are in Guadalajara, PV, Mazatlan etc.
When you experience pricing at other places in Mexico and are back in RP you go, "Why is it more here? were still in Mexico"
It's like comparing pricing when living in New Mexico and then visiting NYC or San Francisco. That's a "Wow" price difference for sure.

It's all tied to available income and charge what the market will bear ( businesses have to make a decent profit to stay in business).
Capitol-ism at it's best.

Does that mean you won't be paying my tab at our local pub? I love Capitol-ism it is just hard to afford it sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want cheap beer and pretty decent food, Bryan's has $1.50 drafts and $2.50 bottles.
If you pay in Pesos it's even cheaper, they use a 13-1 exchange rate.
So in reality you are getting draft beers for $1.15 and bottles for $1.85 assuming you bought $$ for 18.5 to 1 or more.
Our bill tonight was $34.75 in dollars and only $24,55 by paying in Peso's. :):):)

playaperro

El Pirata
If you want cheap beer and pretty decent food, Bryan's has $1.50 drafts and $2.50 bottles.
If you pay in Pesos it's even cheaper, they use a 13-1 exchange rate.
So in reality you are getting draft beers for $1.15 and bottles for $1.85 assuming you bought $$ for 18.5 to 1 or more.
Our bill tonight was $34.75 in dollars and only $24,55 by paying in Peso's. :):):)
Bryan's has a crater pot hoe almost in front, how bout some community service so I can return, cost me a tire, strut and couple motor mounts.

jerry

Why is it I can go to the farmers market in McCall Idaho and buy made on site green corn tamales cheaper and way better than the ones in Caborca let alone RP.
...and then get a Mexican beer and nachos lake side cheaper too?

TICO-T

DON JULIOS ON THE MALECON. $2.00 bottle of Tecate light or Sol. Satisfied Frog. $2.50 bottles of Tecate light.

jerry

Why is it I can go to the farmers market in McCall Idaho and buy made on site green corn tamales cheaper and way better than the ones in Caborca let alone RP.
...and then get a Mexican beer and nachos lake side cheaper too?
And ride the ski lift up to the top of Tamarack Resort and mountain bike down ( slowly!) and buy 3 LA style city tacos with a large local beer for $8.75. This is all thanks to the Millennials....the best generation