Cheap Fishing Tackle Co

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I got a follow request on Instagram after posting the two pics of my fish from a couple of weeks ago from this company Cheap Fishing Tackle Co. I would definitely recommend checking it out as the prices look great and there are a lot of bottom jigs with shrimp and scampi. I see a lot of stuff that would work really well in Rocky Point both from a boat and kayak/shore.

https://www.cheapfishingtackle.co/

Hopefully the next weekend down will be for the first weekend of the Cholla Bay Derby. April is usually the windiest month so fingers crossed. Ill keep it tentative until I can confirm the weather as we get closer to the scheduled Derby dates.

Here is their IG account. 4th pic has all of the scampi/shrimp tales w/ painted jig heads. Those things would absolutely kill in Rocky Point.

https://www.instagram.com/cheapfishingtackle/

Tight lines!

ChollaBay4Life

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
I also use aliexpress.com. Theyhave a search for fishing and there stuff is good quality at great prices. They ship out of China air and I generally have what I order within a week.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Damn man this is awesome. They have the exact metal lures I pay 6.99 a pop for at phx fishing. I have never been able to find them anywhere online either. Thx for sharing.

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
You will be amazed how soon after you order you will receive. I very likley buy more stuff there than any other place.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Well got my lures a few days ago. Took a bit longer than had hoped but they were waiting on a shipment so they could fill my order. They reached out and offered different weights of the lures for free to get my order faster. They did a great job communicating with me. They called , texted, and emailed. Got a buddy ordering as well.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well got my lures a few days ago. Took a bit longer than had hoped but they were waiting on a shipment so they could fill my order. They reached out and offered different weights of the lures for free to get my order faster. They did a great job communicating with me. They called , texted, and emailed. Got a buddy ordering as well.

Just for clarification, are you talking about the company that I posted or the website that Bill recommended? Show us what you got!!!

da_q-ban_one

This IS truly invaluable, thanks for posting!

I live in AZ and love going to rocky point but unfortunately (and despite the close proximity), I am not able to go as often as I'd like.. So I am quite the newbie when it comes to the sizes, types, and color combinations of rigs/baits/lures to use..
I was hoping you and other locals/frequent visitors might be able to chime in on what you prefer using and share your go-to rigs, lures and colors (please be as descriptive and detailed as you can and if possible, reference a few of the lures and rigs you currently use or would buy from the above mentioned website)... In the next few days I'd like to buy some lures and gear from that site, as I'll be visiting RP at the end of May or beginning of June..

I should mention that I DO know my way around a rod n reel, know my knots (for the most part), and a lot of the terminology... But my knowledge mostly applies to freshwater fishing...

When I do make it out to RP, I usually try to set aside @ least one full day to get out on the water (I have a buddy that owns a panga and we usually go anywhere from 10 to 45 miles out, targeting barred/gold-spotted sand bass, grouper, extranjero, sierra, sea trout, pinta and of course the all too common trigger).

I will eventually someday bring my own small inflatable boat or kayak, so if your experience is mainly inshore, I would also like to know what/where to fish in these conditions as well (i.e , closer to shore, kayaking, or on the beach surf..)

Can you make some recommendations as to what tackle I can buy from this website?

I hope I didnt bore anyone too much with my questions/rants.. haha

Thanks in advance - cheers n tight lines!!

Last edited:

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
I got the big lure to attempt to troll with. Had trouble with the 1oz lures staying too high in the water column while trolling them from the yak. Then again I'm not really setup correctly for it but something to try in June.

da_q-ban_one

@ckyevanjay, are those the ones that go for 6.99, and if so what are they called? I'm assuming the blue and plain chrome ones are the colors that work best for you, what size is the bigger lure? Are the 1 oz sized ones good for casting and retrieving in the surf (from the beach or pile rocks), or would I need to go bigger? Also, how do those 1 ouncers fare when straight vertical jigging from a boat in say 50-100+ ft of water, and what about if there's is a bit of current/some chops, would I need to go bigger then also, or is the 1 oz good? Thanks in advance!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I got the big lure to attempt to troll with. Had trouble with the 1oz lures staying too high in the water column while trolling them from the yak. Then again I'm not really setup correctly for it but something to try in June.

Nice dude!!!! That's a mess of metal! How was the process and was shipping expensive? In regards to your comment about trolling. The weight as well as how fast you are paddling and how much line you have out will determine the lure depth. I actually think trolling bass lures that dive or sink like RattleTraps are the best option but you can troll anything. One ounce are definitely on the light side. I wouldnt go less than 2oz and when in the kayak vertical jigging or bottom bouncing I like to go as high as 6 or 8oz during stronger current to get it on the bottom.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
@ckyevanjay, are those the ones that go for 6.99, and if so what are they called? I'm assuming the blue and plain chrome ones are the colors that work best for you, what size is the bigger lure? Are the 1 oz sized ones good for casting and retrieving in the surf (from the beach or pile rocks), or would I need to go bigger? Also, how do those 1 ouncers fare when straight vertical jigging from a boat in say 50-100+ ft of water, and what about if there's is a bit of current/some chops, would I need to go bigger then also, or is the 1 oz good? Thanks in advance!
The 1oz lures are perfect for my rod and reel setup. Could be a bit heavy for lighter tackle. I can chuck them a solid 30-40 yards depending on wind. You can still slow retrieve them but they will def get hung up in shallower rockier water. I lose some every trip so always stock up. Yes those are normally 6 bucks a pop in the store. The lArge one is a 3.5 oz

Anything silver and flashy tends to work, I've caught fish on white jigs, silver,red,blue, and white spoons or kastmasters. The small bait fish that run are silver so anything that might resemble that will work. These lures I use ive caugh all types of fish with during all types of day and weather so its hard for me to try anything else. I will throw a jig for flounder though and bounce it around in the rock/sand. The flounder is the one fish I cannot catch. I bring friends down who dont fish and they catch them sitting right next to me. Currently its my white whale from the shore.

Last edited:

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Nice dude!!!! That's a mess of metal! How was the process and was shipping expensive? In regards to your comment about trolling. The weight as well as how fast you are paddling and how much line you have out will determine the lure depth. I actually think trolling bass lures that dive or sink like RattleTraps are the best option but you can troll anything. One ounce are definitely on the light side. I wouldnt go less than 2oz and when in the kayak vertical jigging or bottom bouncing I like to go as high as 6 or 8oz during stronger current to get it on the bottom.
Ordering process was easy peasy, just your standard online store. Added what i wanted and they reached out to me a few days later saying they didnt have enough of what I ordered so had to make a few changes. All good in my book! I think shipping was 6-8 bucks. They do have a minimum order of 25 dollars though.

I've got some big saltwater crank baits which I've just never used. A few top water ones as well. A few of them do dive or just sit still.

Do you paddle pretty quickly when trolling or is it more if a lazy slow paddle? I have not had much luck lure fishing or trolling from the kayak. Just dropping some squid down always pays off. Want different fish though so need diff technique.

Last edited:

da_q-ban_one

The 1oz lures are perfect for my rod and reel setup. Could be a bit heavy for lighter tackle. I can chuck them a solid 30-40 yards depending on wind. You can still slow retrieve them but they will def get hung up in shallower rockier water. I lose some every trip so always stock up. Yes those are normally 6 bucks a pop in the store. The lArge one is a 3.5 oz

Anything silver and flashy tends to work, I've caught fish on white jigs, silver,red,blue, and white spoons or kastmasters. The small bait fish that run are silver so anything that might resemble that will work. These lures I use ive caugh all types of fish with during all types of day and weather so its hard for me to try anything else. I will throw a jig for flounder though and bounce it around in the rock/sand. The flounder is the one fish I cannot catch. I bring friends down who dont fish and they catch them sitting right next to me. Currently its my white whale from the shore.
Interesting, I will have to stock up on some of these as well then. Thank you for the info.

Should I have created a separate post of my own to ask my question (above), or is it OK to just ask if it is regarding OP's topic (sorry I'm also a newb when it comes to forums). Thanks again for the info!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Those will work but from the kayak I like to have the deep divers. 15-20 feet. Huge lips or RattleTraps because they sink so I can set the lure depth by how much line I have out and fast I paddle. Paddling speed should be lazy to slow. I had GPS on my first fish finder for the yak and it had chart plotter so you could see your speed and direction. I have topped the kayak out at 8mph so a lazy to slow paddle you're still going 1.5-3 mph... perfect speed. I think the boat guys troll at 3mph....

da_q-ban_one

Da....bring your yak down to near the Lobos lighthouse on a calm day ....
Lobos is def on the books for my next big trip. I've had the pleasure of going once, on one of Tom's 5 day charter and ever since have been trying to convince some buddies to come with, but no one's schedules ever coincide, or someone always gets cold feet.. I had a blast when I went.

The next time I go I'll def see if Tom'll let me bring one of my small inflatable kayaks so I can fish right in front of the lighthouse... Eventually when they have some lodging nearby, I'll make the trip on my own or once they actually finish building that hotel maybe I can convince my wife to go down with me..

I don't need much besides some running water and a roof or shade to pitch a tent :)
But it's a whole diff story if my wife is to come, so I'm afraid she will not be visiting lobos anytime soon haha..
Cheers!

Q-ban

jerry

Well Known Member
image.jpeg
Lobos is def on the books for my next big trip. I've had the pleasure of going once, on one of Tom's 5 day charter and ever since have been trying to convince some buddies to come with, but no one's schedules ever coincide, or someone always gets cold feet.. I had a blast when I went.

The next time I go I'll def see if Tom'll let me bring one of my small inflatable kayaks so I can fish right in front of the lighthouse... Eventually when they have some lodging nearby, I'll make the trip on my own or once they actually finish building that hotel maybe I can convince my wife to go down with me..

I don't need much besides some running water and a roof or shade to pitch a tent :)
But it's a whole diff story if my wife is to come, so I'm afraid she will not be visiting lobos anytime soon haha..
Cheers!

Q-ban
https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g153981-d4868005-Modern_beach_home_just_one_hour_south_of_Penasco-Puerto_Penasco_Northern_Mexico.html Maybe 30-40 minutes tops north your wife can stay on the beach and sleep in comfort at our little gated community....I built this one in 2006 and sold it to a lady that rents it occasionally...and fishing with the in development charter guy Scott is good or just from shore when the Corvina are running

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Cheers!

Q-ban

Q,

Im ready whenever you want to go. A forum member will let us camp on the patio...