Chicken Little or Ostrich

There have been a bunch of posts the last couple of days as a result of the report of another shooting in Penasco this past weekend. There seems to be one group that is taking the "chicken little" approach...."the sky is falling....the sky is falling"....don't go to Penasco, because you run the risk of getting killed!

Another is on the opposite side, taking the "ostrich with head in the sand approach".....there is nothing wrong with Penasco, and there is no reason to worry about any danger. I wonder how much of this attitude is based on personal financial interests

I hope that most of us will take a stance somewhere in between.....yes there has been an increase in the risk level with the recent shootings.... the type of violence that has not previously occurred in Penasco. We should not be blinded by the financial interests of some. These risks need to be addressed HONESTLY and REALISTICALLY!

But we also shouldn't panic and avoid coming down....it is still a great place to visit and relax...for now! If things get progressively worse, then make a decision on what risk you and your family are willing to take. These risks have to be evaluated based on the activities you engage in when you visit. Do you just hang out at the rv park or the condo? Do you visit town and "experience" the night life? Have these types of shootings been occurring all along, and because of better reporting, we are now aware of them?

Last edited:

Kenny

It will be in a car wreck.

The reality is that the road to PP is much more dangerouse than the town. Hands down, not even close... The odds are that if you, or one of your family is going to die on a trip to Mexico, it will be in a car wreck.

Last edited:

Roberto

The reality is that the road to PP is much more dangerouse than the town. Hands down, not even close... The odds are that if you, or one of your family is going to die on a trip to Mexico, it will be in a car wreck.
Well, that red light coming from your navel might warn off some of the other drivers:roll:

If there have been unfair posts against those who are afraid enough to want to cancel their trips to RP, then in all fairness I must say that it is also unfair to shrug off the opinions of some and just chalk them up to "personal financial interests". Just because someone lives and works here, that doesn't mean that they cannot contribute an honest opinion based on true feelings of security here as opposed to other places, or faith that we can stay and do something to make this a better place.
Remember please, that for some of you RP is a weekend getaway. For some of us, this is our home, our community, our town. We take offense when others trash it. We are optimistic about our future here, and yet how many times does someone get on here and dismiss this country, the officials, and the system as corrupt? Maybe to us, the States is more corrupt than you see it.
Some get on here and cite news sources and statistics. Then someone else gives sources and statistics to support an opposite view. All of a sudden "statistics can be skewed", "the real truth is being covered up", or we're all a bunch of realtors afraid of starving to death.
I agree that concern is warranted, Joe. Concern and action. But while some of you can throw this city into a bin of places you used to go...some of us are more committed to Penasco than that, and for more than just economical reasons.

dmcauley

If you are a full time resident ,Rosie, then you are quite aware of the criminal element. It is worse in other areas but that does not make RP any safer. My wife is a 49 year resident of RP and we are almost ready to become full time again, but we are well aware of the situation there. I don't think tourism is really being affected by the shootings as much as by the economy here in the states but time will tell. Some think that RE prices are way down as compared to the 90's yet in 2001 you could buy a condo on Sandy Beach for 70,000.00. If this would come about again, there would be a major influx of cash. Don't hold your breath-

Not only do I live here, but I have the newspaper and report on the crime, so yes, I'm aware. I've not said there is no crime here. And I agree with you that crime is just one factor of many that need to be addressed by the new government. I've talked to both the incoming governor and the new mayor and am convinced they know it too.
I'm optimistic and doing what I can as a citizen and resident. So are many others, which grows my optimism even more.

ernesto

Just like anywhere else in the world, if you're nervous , don't come. More room for me! It's almost like it was 15 years ago, except the border. If you think they're not making it tough you're mistaken. It's easier for them to pull someone over for a secondary inspection in the bays to the right.They absolutely want to slow things down and f things up.

Kenny

Just like anywhere else in the world, if you're nervous , don't come. More room for me! It's almost like it was 15 years ago, except the border. If you think they're not making it tough you're mistaken. It's easier for them to pull someone over for a secondary inspection in the bays to the right.They absolutely want to slow things down and f things up.
exactly, to the right.. I've been wondering when someone was going to key on that.

Maybe a "ceasefire" is in order on the safety issue....and we can whine/bitch/moan/groan/complain about a topic we can all agree on....the slowdown by US Customs at the border???

I've sat there with the inspector having no one at the booth for 5 minutes before he waives the next vehicle in.....I've had them ask 101 questions that have nothing to do with their function....if they have a reason to suspect something....send the vehicle to the secondary inspeaction station...and stop slowing the line down! I've sat at the border when it opens up, and the inspectors stall waiving in vehicles after the 6am opening....

And then there is the Mexican side....where thy have you make 2 lines, only to funnel you back into one just before the gate where you play chicken with some idiot who can't alternate with your line! There is plenty of room for 2 lines all the way to the inspection stations where you go to 3 lines.

Anyone else have anything?????

Last edited:
M

mexmac

It is so easy to point out a problem and express an opinion without knowing all the facts, causes, and effects. As the President of Mexico puts the screws to the drug cartels and decreases the territories that they can operate from, the violence increases between the cartels. This is a war fought for control over the distribution of drugs into the USA. When there is a report of violence along the border it just goes to prove that drug use in the USA is so out of control and is a business of such magnitude that people are willing to kill to keep their share of it. These killings are brutal for one reason and one reason only. They are a message to their rivals to stay away, much like the mafia murders in NYC in the 1950’s and 60’s, when the federal government finally clamped down on organized crime in the USA.
For a short time the border patrol was stopping vehicles before they crossed into Mexico searching for guns and large sums of cash. It seems the huge sum of money the USA spends on buying illegal drugs is buying the guns that the cartels are using to shoot at each other. This vicious circle has far more ties to the USA than it does Mexico. What is the old saying about glass houses and throwing stones? The federal government stopped these check points much to disappointment of the Mexican officials.

If your intent is to come to Mexico and get involved with the drug trade then be afraid, if you want to come here and enjoy the city and the beach, you have less fear than going to the mall or the gym in the USA.

MIRAMAR

Last night in Tucson, a house was broken into, 5 men looking for drugs and money. When they realized they were in the wrong house, they tried to hijack a passing car, shooting and killing a 15 year old girl who was to start school today.

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/303872

Drug violence can happen anywhere, and we need to combat the source: people using drugs in the U.S.

Mexmac and Miramar, thank you both. What happened to the young girl in Tucson is terribly sad, but I think by linking it here you've made a very valid point. This is precisely why I feel safer in Mexico. It's easier here to know mitigate danger because we know what areas/at what hours things are less safe. And even if one has to go up Calle 13 at 4am, the odds are that they would be perfectly safe, unless drunk, looking to score, flashing money, being obnoxious, etc, etc...

Kenny

You were on a roll :razz: the with the, "unless drunk, looking to score, flashing money, being obnoxious, etc, etc" Rosie. I guess Roberto with his vast experience and knowledge :roll: can fill in the etc etc for us who know not of what you speak.:confused:
Could this type of carousing in PP get us all in trouble, or what?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I've been here a while now Full-time 3 years and visiting a total of 26 years. So I guess to some I am a fool to live in Penasco with its over the top crime rate (LOL) with my lovely wife and my 16 year old son. To those that feel this way I have to ask, where in the world are you going to have paradise today? (only in your head thats where)

Its kind of like the weather, it's hot in Tucson, its hot in Phoenix, its even hot in Vegas, well its kinda of hot here too, but I would still rather live near the ocean and be hot, than in a city.

So if you like living in a city where its hot thats ok with me just dont trash where I live. When its hot some stay indoors in the AC, I like to jump in the ocean.

Back to the crime, there's crime in Phx, theres crime in Tucson, heck theres even a little in Vegas and yes we have some here. No problem I would still rather live here knowing what I know than in the states. Go in to the AC its the same as not going and looking for heat in the drug trade or other neferious activities. I have never been remotely nervous about being here exept for those darn taxi drivers in traffic (ha ha). Then again I am not looking for trouble and I don't go out to the "bad" parts of town after 10:00 at night. Thats all I have to say about that, have a nice day and keep your senses - the world even yours is not perfect! By the way the weather this morning is darn near perfect for August NO HEAT AT ALL!

mexicoruss....I don't disagree with you....I was just trying to make the point that we shouldn't go to the 2 extremes....."chicken little" or "rose colored glasses" (again, sorry about that Rosy!!).....

I do know where and what to avoid to stay out of most trouble....LOL....but I have a teenage daughter (19) who has Mexican friends that she hangs out with...that does not necessarily have the experience you or I have...and may wind up going somewhere that has a potential for trouble. She's at an age where you can't stop her from doing things....so I have to be mindful and aware of what is happening in town....and plan my visits (and hers) accordingly. Fortunately she isn't in a position to get down to Penasco on her own without a lot of expense.