Cholla Bay Fishing?

Hello,

I will be going down to Rocky point for Christmas and want to do some fishing. We have had good luck before with kastmasters, spoons, and squid. I have a few questions. How is fishing in December? Where is the best place in cholla bay to fish. I just got a 10' surf pole, is it useful to really get a lure out there? or should i stick with my traditional 6' spinning rods? How would you recommend going for bigger fish from shore? I'm bringing some sabiki rigs for bait and have squid.

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Just getting into ocean fishing.

Thanks for your help!

Cholla bay is most likely the place to fish this time of year from the shore because of its rocky shoreline.Its good for small grouper,rockbass and maybe even a white seabass.Fish are a little deeper so mid to deep diving crankbaits are good and Kastmaster spoons are always a killer. Stick to the rocky shoreline and live bait is definitely a plus but squid is very good to try crankbaits or swimbaits early morning stay deep! Good luck!

Thank you for your advice! I've never used live bait in the ocean. How would you rig live bait? California rig, possibly free line?

Try using a egg sinker about 3-4 oz. let the line slide freely through the sinker with a swivel and about a foot of line for your hook.The bait can be hooked through the nose area or just under the dorsal fin open spool watch your line and give it a few seconds before setting the hook.

If using lures or bait, a good way to keep out of the rocks it to use a float. Set the float as deep as you are willing to wade to get your tackle if it does get hung up..