coastal highway

El Gato

Well Known Member
Somewhere I saw detailed directions from San Diego to Penasco using the Coastal Highway but can't locate them now. Have friends coming this weekend - can anyone give detailed directions? Not sure if they have a GPS or not - if so are there any special codes they need to input? As you can tell, I've never used a GPS and no idea of how you get them to work ;)

Thank you for the help.

garyd

Well Known Member
Somewhere I saw detailed directions from San Diego to Penasco using the Coastal Highway but can't locate them now. Have friends coming this weekend - can anyone give detailed directions? Not sure if they have a GPS or not - if so are there any special codes they need to input? As you can tell, I've never used a GPS and no idea of how you get them to work ;)

Thank you for the help.
Lokk in the sonoyta bridge postings

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This is from San Luis crossing to Penasco. The only modification would be that you can come straight into Penasco now from the highway with having to go out to the round about on the main highway

Attachments

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
[FONT=&amp]New Costera Highway & Toll Road Log [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]between Puerto Penasco & the San Luis Rio Colorado Downtown Border Cross[/FONT][FONT=&amp]ing [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The toll road (SON 197) opened on September 10, 2009. The toll fee is 94 pesos each way. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]It is a straight, two-lane highway with wide shoulders: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]157 Miles in about 2.5 Hours[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The following is a road log from 9-26, 2009[/FONT][FONT=&amp]. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](1) Odometer reading in miles from San Luis Rios Colorado (SLRC) downtown border entrance to just outside Puerto Penasco. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](2)[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Odometer reading in miles from outside Puerto Penasco to SLRC (Zero mileage starts at bottom of log and goes up page.) [/FONT]
(1)
Mileage
(2)
Mileage
DESCRIPTION
*Items highlighted in YELLOW are pictured on the accompanying Photo Log
KM MARKER
IF AVAILABLE
Intersection of Calle 1 (entrance) & Avenida A. Obregon (“Main Street” SLRC) Go East
(?)
“Main street” has become Hwy 2. Here the road turns to dirt & there is a Detour.
There is approximately 1 mile of construction and bad road. Follow signs and markings to turn off.
(?)
Intersection. Going towards Penasco: Turn to SON 197 (Signage: to Puerto Penasco and El Golfo).
(?)
Round-about & sight of future Pemex station.
(?)
Toll Booth: Estacion Doctor (“Prepare su cuota” - Please have your pesos ready.) 94 pesos
* On the west side of the toll booth area are bathrooms. Going south, next ones are an hour away.
(?)
Pull off with trash can & water container (water was empty on our trip).
Cross Rail road tracks
(?)
Intersection. Signage is posted. Towards Penasco = Left turn / Coming from Penasco = Right turn
Puesto de Control Militar. This is the military checkpoint & vehicle inspection going northbound only. Slow down going in both directions and follow direction & signage.
This is part one. The cost has changed to 105 pesos per car each way or just over 8.00 usd

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
What I call the Icky Igloos. (What else can you call them?) You’ll know when you see them.
There are also some pretty cute little cabins and several shrines & statues in this area.
Going south
Past KM 82
Intersection. Signage is posted. Towards Penasco = Left turn / Coming from Penasco = Right turn
This is also the turnoff to Golfo de Santa Clara. The Pemex station is a short drive on El Golfo road.
* Going in either direction you are pretty much an hour from bathrooms or gas.
HWY 003
Km 134
Great overlooks of the ocean in this entire area. Get the camera out. Beware of traffic & sand.
121 - 117
(?)
Signs noting a pull-off with picnic table, trash and water. (For in the future).
(?)
Signs noting a pull-off with picnic table, trash and water. (For in the future).
Uno mas beautiful overlook. High point with the sandy beach below.
Marked as Los Pinitos on road signs; dirt road reads ALMODOVA. Distant buildings near beach.
(?)
Salt flats with green & palm trees.
Ejido Collada. Big curve in the road. From this point towards Penasco the road parallels the railroad.
* Look for several osprey nests and the birds on the old posts along the railroad.
Another Empty pull-off - No services
Sign reads: Water for Radiator. Emergency stop.
An Ecology Station. Informative reading and great photograph display. No services.
Ejido Carlos Salinas de Gortiari—Inhabited area. Many small settlements in this area.
El Solito Restaurant & Bar. Under the palapa. Ejido Los Aceves
An Ecology Station. Informative reading and great photograph display. No services.
View of Laguna Shores area, Black Mountain and in the distance the condos on Sandy Beach.
Cross the railroad.
(?)
Intersection. Signage is posted. Towards Penasco = Right turn / Leaving Penasco = Left turn
Going towards Penasco, you are turning onto HWY 8 coming from the border & Sonoita.
Watch for high speed traffic on this Highway. (When leaving Penasco - follow signage to Laguna.)
Arrive at Pemex & Circle K on the outskirts of Penasco.
(?)

This part 2 when entering Penasco from the west on the Coastal Highway you can drive straight into the resorts at Sandy Beach without going back out to highway 8

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Honestly, I drove the costera to San Luis 3 weeks ago and it was self explanatory. If you speak English and can read highway signs you should be A OK.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Thanks Russ....I'm sure that there are many out there without the navigational skills of Mexico Joe.....and will appreciate the "turn by turn" you've provided.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks Russ....I'm sure that there are many out there without the navigational skills of Mexico Joe.....and will appreciate the "turn by turn" you've provided.

Like I said, it is so easy that if you cant read 3 signs the whole drive then you shouldn't be driving/operating heavy machinery. I got dizzy and almost puked reading Russ' trip log. 3 signs Joey, I could have gone from RP to SL when I was 11, no map. I had never done it till 3 weeks ago. Didnt have the luxury of a trip log when it was spur of the moment and it was so easy honestly, dont worry be happy and drive, GAS is on the right.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ's trip log was not meant to be a puke read, it was meant to be a guide for people who like to travel and not miss things that might be missed if you go along at 80 mph and are only interested in getting from point a to point b. The log was written several years ago and has served well as a guide for lots of folks venturing south and east from Cali to Penasco for the first time and has been lauded as the first one of its kind and not lacking in detail. So if you must puke please clean up after yourself and try not to get it on anybody else. Gracias. PS Gas is on the right........

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Like I said, it is so easy that if you cant read 3 signs the whole drive then you shouldn't be driving/operating heavy machinery. I got dizzy and almost puked reading Russ' trip log. 3 signs Joey, I could have gone from RP to SL when I was 11, no map. I had never done it till 3 weeks ago. Didnt have the luxury of a trip log when it was spur of the moment and it was so easy honestly, dont worry be happy and drive, GAS is on the right.
Mexico Joe....at the risk of making this "another one of those threads" that we've been getting on the Forum lately, many of your posts make people puke too..... Russ provided a service posting the info.....it's a very easy drive getting to El Golfo, but if you take the time to check any of the mapping services, there are several routes you can take from there to the border (or the reverse direction)...so just maybe, Russ provided the most "efficient" route....but no, you have to go be a total ass with your post!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Russ's turn by turn directions are very helpful. Thx I may have to use the one day. It may even help those, whose Driving/Navagation skills are suspect anyway.
We have all seen them at one time, lately, alot!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe....at the risk of making this "another one of those threads" that we've been getting on the Forum lately, many of your posts make people puke too..... Russ provided a service posting the info.....it's a very easy drive getting to El Golfo, but if you take the time to check any of the mapping services, there are several routes you can take from there to the border (or the reverse direction)...so just maybe, Russ provided the most "efficient" route....but no, you have to go be a total ass with your post!

I disagree, I think posts like Russ' trip log make it seem like it is a tall task at hand which creates anxiety. Why do you think there is so many questions regarding the route? It's because people have made it sound like it is some cluster f#$K of a situation and that you need detailed trip routes with KM postings. It's the complete opposite. I wanted to express MY OPINION on this PUBLIC FORUM to let anyone that may have slight anxiety that a CHILD of 12 years old can do it without any help. Big highway signs that we are accustomed to in the states are on the highway in ENGLISH, what more could you need?! Im just trying to convey how easy it is.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Russ's turn by turn directions are very helpful. Thx I may have to use the one day. It may even help those, whose Driving/Navagation skills are suspect anyway.
We have all seen them at one time, lately, alot!
How are they very helpful if you havent driven the road yet?! lol In addition, you PRY wont have to use it one day because it is self explanatory. It was a nice gesture on Russ' part though.

Beachbob

I have another major website in rocky point, I had a client call me last week saying that he was "shaken down" by a local cop about two miles from border (heading north back into US). I get a lot of internet traffic regarding the coastal highway
(probably more than any other website) and I this is the only complaint I have received in years. Make sure you obey all traffic laws and have your proper paperwork. This was an elderly man, not a young college student. Good luck all. The road is actually a very nice road to drive on.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I have another major website in rocky point, I had a client call me last week saying that he was "shaken down" by a local cop about two miles from border (heading north back into US). I get a lot of internet traffic regarding the coastal highway
(probably more than any other website) and I this is the only complaint I have received in years. Make sure you obey all traffic laws and have your proper paperwork. This was an elderly man, not a young college student. Good luck all. The road is actually a very nice road to drive on.
What is your web site?

Beachbob

Well, I would suggest that you do a search on google for the coastal highway and more than likely, the top site under most search terms is mine. I am not hear to promote the site, I was just assisting in info that I receive. No I don't receive 10,000 views a day or anything like it, but I am the #1 search term in most cases. Hint, was that review good enough for you.