Commercial guys catching Blue Jellyfish

capt. k

There is a huge operation set up about a mile south of Santo Tomas. They have brought in tractors, backhoes, three huge cargo dump trucks, an 80 ton crane and about fifty pangas to harvest the very plentiful Blue jellyfish in our area. Most of the jellyfish are within a half mile from shore so the pangas go out and literally fill their boat (on a calm day almost to the point of sinking) then they unload into a pickup with a large mesh tarp so the crane can pick up the load and dump them in these huge dump trucks. Our guards say they have found a market in China for them. Quite an operation. They spent a week fixing up the road so they could get the big crane in to the beach. I have seen more and more of the blue jellies each summer so I will not them and doubt it will hurt the eco system?

jerry

Can upon this online. "
The cannonball jelly fish Stomolophus meleagris is actually considered a threat to the biodiversity of the marine ecosystems in the Sea of Cortez.Through a study conducted by the Biological Research Center of the Northeast (CINBOR), they found that by commercially fishing or harvesting the cannonball jellyfish, the population can effectively be controlled.Once harvested, the jellyfish are then processed and used for its medicinal properties such as use in the treatment of arthritis and hypertension.The largest market is to be found in Asia where the cannonball jellyfish is considered a delicacy and is highly valued.Although this species is captured in the states of Tabasco and Oaxaca, mainly for research, experimentation and marine resource assessment purposes, only in Sinaloa and Sonora is it harvest commercially for profit.

Here in the state of Sonora, the majority of the jellyfish harvested are in the area between Kino Bay and Agiabampo Estuary.According to Juana Lopez Martinez, who led the CINBOR study, the cannonball jelly fish population has continued to increase over the last several years due to rising temperatures of the sea.A balance needed to be struck as the cannonball plays an important role in the sheltering of juvenile fish as well as serving as food for turtles and moon fish.It also is an important nutrient source for the sea bed, mainly in biodiversity rich areas as coastal lagoon fronts.By allowing a short harvesting season, April/May, the biodiversity of the area in kept in check while allowing another source of income for the fisherman in the area.(CINBOR 2011)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
http://www.elsoldecaborca.com.mx

Sea cucumber's...headed to china
Not being racist, but is there ANYTHING that the Chinese will NOT eat, make soup, or otherwise claim mystic medicinal properties from? Sea cucumbers, sea horses... good grief!!

Reminds of an article I read this morning about an up and coming trend here in the US -- eating crickets. Yup! Chirp-chirp crickets. At least they seem to be sustainable, if you put the totally gross factor aside.

:gag:

Fish and chirps? Try crickets for protein

LISA RATHKE

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WILLISTON, Vt. - At Tomorrow’s Harvest farm, you won’t find acres of land on which animals graze, or rows of corn, or bales of hay. Just stacks of boxes in a basement and the summery song of thousands of chirping crickets.

It’s one of a growing number of operations raising crickets for human consumption that these farmers say is more ecologically sound than meat but acknowledge is sure to bug some people out.

Once consumers get beyond the ick factor, they say, there are a lot of benefits to consuming bugs.

“We don’t need everybody to eat insects,” said Robert Nathan Allen, founder and director of Little Herds, an educational nonprofit in Austin, Texas, that promotes the use of insects for human food and animal feed. “The point we really like to highlight with the education is that if only a small percent of people add this to their diet, there’s a huge environmental impact.”

Cricket fans say if only 1 percent of the U.S. population substituted even just 1 percent of their meat consumption with insects, millions of gallons of water in drinking and irrigation would be saved, along with thousands of metric tons of greenhouse-gas emissions from machinery and animals.

At least one study finds the claims overstated that crickets are a viable protein source to supplement or replace meat.

Interest in entomophagy — the consumption of insects — was fueled in part by a 2013 report from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations on the viability of edible insects to help curb world hunger.

Since then, the number of producers of food containing crickets, from protein bars to chip, has jumped from zero to about 20, and cricket farms for human food have grown to about half a dozen in the United States, Allen said.

The protein-packed food can be ground into powder and added to other foods or eaten whole, dried, sauteed and spiced. Crickets have a nutty or earthy flavor that’s masked by other flavors in protein bars.

Self-described adventurous eater

“This is the stone age right now as far as insect farming. We have nowhere to go but up.”

KDM

King of Da FOO!
The jelly fish you are describing sound like what we call "cabbage heads" here in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Some of the true Cajuns eat them in various ways. One is pickling them. Never tried it and never will.

Landshark

I'll stick with the tasty Sonoran beef, the fish and shrimp, thank-you!
I'm thinking the people eating the bugs would agree with you but since they don't have any dinero the bugs become dinner. Nothing like eating a big, fat, juicy roach! Muy delicioso!!

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'm thinking the people eating the bugs would agree with you but since they don't have any dinero the bugs become dinner. Nothing like eating a big, fat, juicy roach! Muy delicioso!!
I"m sure I've eaten a few. Unknowingly, of course!

JimMcG

Chapulines were recently selling in Oaxaca for 15 pesos per plate and are by no means eaten only by poor Mexicans.

Landshark

Chapulines were recently selling in Oaxaca for 15 pesos per plate and are by no means eaten only by poor Mexicans.
Didn't know about this so I read about it and you're right. Hard for me to understand how grasshoppers taste good but maybe they do! To each his own....

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I eat octopus with guajillo peppers and love it! Maybe the bugs in a good sauce? I dunno....