Corvina catching

Kenny

nice boat kenny, do you use an outboard motor on that beast or just hooking up a trolling motor? i like that you can launch that boat virtually anywhere....ill be down the weekend of the june 11th and going to try and hook up with Ric Hammer like we did last year and get into some more big fish : ) hope hes available
That's Don's boat, andMexico%20june%201&#5.jpg here's another great picture of him and his son.

don

Thanks for the comp Kenny,
Depending on the ocean conditions, distance to fishing location, and 2 to 4 fisherman aboard I'll hang either a 8, 25 hp. A 40 hp for pull toys, skiers.

don

Not sure what you mean Bill, the weight or bulk? l Usually I'll have the boat in shallow water and set the engine on the transom (engine in tilted position) and tighten the hold down screws. The engine is heavy, wouldn't want to set the skeg on my foot. The boat is a rocket with a 40. Goes scary fast.

Last edited:

RIC

Some day I am going to find the time to join you Don on one of those trolling trips from the small inflateable boats. That just looks like a blast. You posted once before but could you again post details on how you rig up for those trips?

Ric

www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

don

The forty is not that heavy (its a 1992 johnson/evinrude =Johnrude short shaft), but I don't carry it far. Honestly I don't have a clue as to how much it weighs... probably better that way.

Ya' know Ric, I'll vary my tatics depending on the season. For instance I've only caught red snapper only over sandy bottoms and that's occured in late March, to mid April while trolling deep, 20 + feet. Cudas' seem to be plentiful in late Feb, early thru March, trolling shallow and fast. Corvina were more mid depth, 10 to 20 feet and we start hitting those mid May. Once again, we were trolling fast, usually above 5mph. Above 5 and we caught fewer sand bass, hooks probably rip through their mouths or poor hookups. For Sierras (May on) and Dorado (July-peanuts) we'll troll shallow and in our wake. Never caught a pargo before June. As you know, we target groupers, warmer months and we'll troll above 5mph. Cooler months and we slow down, even jigging at times. The cooler months (Nov. Dec. Jan.) have always produced the largest fish. For lures, go with Gene Kiras' book, "Baja Catch". BTW, a good GPS capable depth sounder is a must, I will not go on the water without one. Just like you discovered, certain spots will produce year after year.
Lastly, I've given up on using mono, can't troll deep enough with 25lb test, and lighter test we'd break fish off as they headed for their caves. Sure would like to head out with you, maybe this summer?

jerry

hey Don kenny and Matt caught some big assed Corvina (25-28 inches) wish you were there as i now know where the rock pile is!