Cost of Living

Wade K.

Hi everyone, just joined the forum. My wife and I are about to turn 55 and I'll be able to take a small pension then. We're looking at a few options but I'm very interested in trying living in Rocky Point for awhile to see if we'd like to make a permanent move there. If we mostly ate at home, kept the drinking to a minimum, lived in a comfortable but not lavish apartment, what would you say a reasonable ballpark amount would be needed monthly? Curious about how much easier the recent Peso slide has made it to live there. Thanks!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Outside of paying for a rent, I know a few couples who manage on $1000-1300 per month and live pretty well.
They eat out 2-3x per week and drink casually. The trick is finding enough things to do so you don't get bored.

We own our house clear and know my wife and I could live well for in RP for $1200 per month.

If you went futher south to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Baja/Ensenada and many other locations in Mexico you
can do it for even less with more things like maid/cooking services included a few times per week.

Rocky point is 20-30 percent more expensive than the above locales because pricing is based on largely, a tourist economy.

We went to PV 5 years ago and were shocked at how much less, so many things were there compared to RP at the time.

Here are a few links to check out.
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/020215/how-much-money-do-you-need-retire-mexico.asp
Here is one for Puerto Vallarta, prices (in pesos) updated this month. Remember the Peso around is 18.4 - 1 now.
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/puerto-Vallarta

You can't beat the laid back atmosphere south of the border.

Wade K.

Outside of paying for a rent, I know a few couples who manage on $1000-1300 per month and live pretty well.
They eat out 2-3x per week and drink casually. The trick is finding enough things to do so you don't get bored.

We own our house clear and know my wife and I could live well for in RP for $1200 per month.

If you went futher south to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Baja/Ensenada and many other locations in Mexico you
can do it for even less with more things like maid/cooking services included a few times per week.

Rocky point is 20-30 percent more expensive than the above locales because pricing is based on largely, a tourist economy.

We went to PV 5 years ago and were shocked at how much less, so many things were there compared to RP at the time.

Here are a few links to check out.
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/020215/how-much-money-do-you-need-retire-mexico.asp
Here is one for Puerto Vallarta, prices (in pesos) updated this month. Remember the Peso around is 18.4 - 1 now.
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/puerto-Vallarta

You can't beat the laid back atmosphere south of the border.
Thanks for the great info. We spent a week in San Miguel de Allende a couple of years ago. The Peso was about 13:1 then if I remember right and with all the Americans, etc prices seemed high. My wife isn't that enthusiastic about living further south but is ok with a short drive to places like Tucson. I've got some health issues that make me want to retire soon but no way really to do that in the States on my pension. Thanks again, definitely a possibility.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, just joined the forum. My wife and I are about to turn 55 and I'll be able to take a small pension then. We're looking at a few options but I'm very interested in trying living in Rocky Point for awhile to see if we'd like to make a permanent move there. If we mostly ate at home, kept the drinking to a minimum, lived in a comfortable but not lavish apartment, what would you say a reasonable ballpark amount would be needed monthly? Curious about how much easier the recent Peso slide has made it to live there. Thanks!
I would say you can easily live on $1000/month or less. I assume you won't be spending money on atv rentals etc. Your biggest expense would be eating and drinking out. If you don't do that much, 1k goes a long way in RP.

audsley

Well Known Member
I'm really straining to visualize a $1,000 - $1,300 a month lifestyle in Rocky Point. Here in Tucson, Comcast for cable TV and internet plus Verizon for cell service and data for the Ipad run me almost $400 a month. Gas is much more expensive in Rocky Point unless you drive to Sonoyta for border city pricing. Food at the Super Ley is cheaper than my Safeway, but not by enough to make a huge difference. Then there's recurring car expense including insurance and repairs/maintenance. "Things" often cost more in Mexico which is why used stuff is in such great demand down there, and you're taxed at the border for bringing it in. I understand that health care is generally cheaper there, but where else are any big savings?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
My outgo not counting travel (which is what I am) is about 800 a month. Food, phone, internet, gas, water and trash. It is super simple, don't be a pig and you can live very reasonably anywhere of course I don't have a mtg or a rent but still come on folks this is a great lfe

tortuga

Well Known Member
Probably close to $1500-1800 if you rent a decent place and pay utilities. Living in an RV park is the cheapest way to live here. No utilities and inexpensive space rent. Annual spaces run $270-350 a month including utilities. You can buy inexpensive trailers in Penasco and in the U.S. Here is the website for the park that I live in: http://www.playadeoro-rv.com/. Good luck.

flicks

Well Known Member
Probably close to $1500-1800 if you rent a decent place and pay utilities. Living in an RV park is the cheapest way to live here. No utilities and inexpensive space rent. Annual spaces run $270-350 a month including utilities. You can buy inexpensive trailers in Penasco and in the U.S. Here is the website for the park that I live in: http://www.playadeoro-rv.com/. Good luck.[/

It says on the Website $498-$750? I want you price! LOL

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
My little tuna boat with a 150 gallon fuel tank eats up at least $350.00 per trip of Yuma gas, not counting local daily top-off's at the Pemex on Sinaloa, of my big chicken-shit-white-privilege SS entitlement check that I worked fifty years for.

Must not forget the diesel to feed my F-350 4x4 dually to haul it to and from PP. We always do have a deep freeze full of non-gmo wild caught pescado though.

JJ

ron6639

Only good days

Wade K.

I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath house near Playa Bonita that I would be willing to rent to you. Contact me at [email protected] if you want more data
Hi Ron, I'm being told your above email has been disconnected. Wasn't sure what you were saying about being in Sedona? I thought you were offering to rent out a house in Rocky Point. I assure you that I'm sincere and no scammer but as I pointed out it'll be mid-January before we can get down there, just looking at the feasibility now. My first choice would be central Mexico for lower costs. Have a great one.