Credit Card Theft

Just a warning to other Rocky Point visitors. I had my credit card information compromised at the Pemex station near the entrance to Las Conchas. I thought it was suspicious when it took ten minutes to get my card back from their office and then a few days later unauthorized transactions started appearing. They purchased electronic games which can be downloaded so no ship to address is needed.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. My wife's card got jacked in a similar fashion. Not sure where, but when the statement came in, there were oodles of charges at Pemex gas stations all over Sonora. The only place we had been at the time was to Rocky Point, but we hadn't used the credit card to buy gas. Only to charge the hotel and a meal one night. This was a few years ago. The credit card company immediately killed the card, reversed the charges, and issued a new card.

On the other hand, I've used my credit card at the Circle K to fill my boat on several occasions and never had a problem with any fraudulent charges (yet).

Although not directly related to these posts...check your debit/credit cards. The companies are issuing cards with RFID chips in them, similar to what is being done with passports. The information on the card can be scanned without even having the card in your hand (like with a portable scanner in a bag, etc.) A fellow employee just got back from Laughlin....had $500 charged to his card that never left his possession. The cards with this feature have a symbol on the back (or front).....

bdawson

Same thing happened to me at the Pemex across from Reggie's about 6 months ago. Charged my card for an additional charge after I paid for gas. Copied my signature and everything. Fortunately, I cancelled the card before any other activity was posted.

We had the same problem in a Frys gas station in Casa Grande. The bank said it was one of the things the bad guys slide into the pump scanner. The person tried to make a house payment and the bank did nothing to him. They did reverse the charge for us but I can not understand why they did not prosecute .

loco

Same thing happened to me at the Pemex across from Reggie's about 6 months ago. Charged my card for an additional charge after I paid for gas. Copied my signature and everything. Fortunately, I cancelled the card before any other activity was posted.
Same thing happened to Me from the same Station.....Hmmmmmmm

Notify your bank and tell them you want replacement cards without the chip.

I called and asked for mine and it will only take 4 - 5 business days to get.

I asked if they (Chase) were getting many requests for new cards and he replied, a few but Chase's cards
are heavily encrypted. Still asked for new cards.

Sinshine

Needless to say, best to use CASH, preferably Mexican Pesos in Mexico. I use a credit union debit card to get cash at the ATM machines at Banamex, and never have had a problem. Used to get the actual exchange rate without fee. However, there is now a fee, based on percent of withdrawal.

Notify your bank and tell them you want replacement cards without the chip.

I called and asked for mine and it will only take 4 - 5 business days to get.

I asked if they (Chase) were getting many requests for new cards and he replied, a few but Chase's cards
are heavily encrypted. Still asked for new cards.

Sinshine
Anyone have any experience with the sleeves that I've seen advertised for the rfid cards?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
***CUSTOMERS BE AWARE**
For those who go to Puesta del Sol Restaurante at Playa Bonita, be aware that if you use your debit card you will be charge extra, somewhere between $8 and $12 dollars, not pesos, DOLLARS, Armando the manager told me that it is a bank error not theirs and that the bank will reimburse?sp your money within 4 days, I waited 2 weeks and nothing happen, went back and a different manager told me that it will take anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks to get your money back from the bank.
He said this has been happening for a while then I mention to him that they should ask, when the card is given, if it is a debit or credit and explain to the customer so there will be no surprises, to my surprise, NOT, he told me that it "is easier to just let it happen", however he failed to mention that for those that do not check their statements good they loose their money, in other words they do not get their extra charges back!! Now you might understand why it "is easier to just let it happen"
I love RP but I hate being scam anywhere, even if thier food and service is good!!!

Last edited: