Crossing driving someone else's vehicle

Good morning all,

We bought a fifth wheel and will be using a friend's truck to tow it to PDO, where it will stay. I know I've seen this question posted before and I apologize for being too lazy to look it up. What kind of document do we need to prove that we have permission from him to drive his truck? Would a notorized letter be sufficient?

Thanks!

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ It would be prudent to have the owner in truck with you, or following you in another car, ~~~ entering Mex. probably no problem, back into US can be a prob., ~~~ I got this 1st hand a couple years ago when I was towing a friends quad & trailer back, good thing I had the owner behind me cause we were both we pulled over to secondary insp. till all was verified, ~~~ never fails when I have boat with me, they ask is it my boat, when, where, did I get it, ~~~ twice I had to show proof, & once I was x-rayed, ~~~ depends on what monkey is checking you, ~~~ some can be real nasty, ~~~

~~~ It's a quarter after 1:00 am, & I need some weed, ~~~

I drive my sisters car a couple of times a month back and forth from the states to Rocky Point, and she also drives mine, we are rarely ever together in the cars. We each carry a letter of permission with us, but never have been asked to see it. There has never been a question going into Mexico, and maybe twice, going back to the States in the past two years, I have been asked who the owner of the car is and I say my Sister and they say, OK, go ahead.

Anyone who has seen what I drive in RP will understand why I only cross the border in borrowed cars. I am always asked whose vehicle it is, and when I say...they let me across. I have never had a problem. I have crossed in both American and Mexican vehicles and it's always been the same.

S

Submarine

Well a few years ago I brought down 3 jetskis with a friend of mine. One was his, two were mine but the spare ski I hadn't yet registered in my name. The Mexican border patrol wouldn't let me cross with the extra jetski until I 'greased' them with $40 (negotiated down from $100).
Your experience may vary.

C

cactusamigo

Bribing ("greasing") any Mexican authority doesn't do the rest of us any favor. DON'T DO IT!

C

cactusamigo

Maybe so, but you don't have to be a part of it. Abide by the rules, and don't contribute to corruption. Show respect to the authorities by not offering them bribes. Participating in "mordita" only perpetuates this corrupt practice, and makes it difficult for all of us. It is not something one should boast about.

Cactus....not that I agree with bribery, but you are posting based on western/US "culture"....you are dealing with a culture that has/accepts bribery as a way of life.....

S

Submarine

I would rather pay a bribe on the side of the road here or in Mexico directly to the Officer than go to court and contribute to the institutionalized corrupt system we have now that hides under the guise of legality. It's certainly cheaper.

Since I'm boasting, I might as well include the $10 I paid near Shacks 5th Ave and $15 at the station for speeding on a quad. Both were dubious but I didn't mind. Just one of those tickets would have cost triple what I've paid in mordida if it was in the US. Maybe thats why Mexico doesn't seem to have the legal industrial complex like we do here in the US. Just a few months ago they were panicking because hundreds of photo radar victims were supposed to appear on the same day. Guess all that paper pushing isn't paying off though, as that corrupt debacle is costing more than it's generating.

So it seems you could have the U.S. system where DUI enforcement is a huge moneymaker so much so that they lowered the bar so they can catch more people. Photo radar cameras, illegal "click it or ticket" sweeps even though seatbelts are secondary enforcement; illegal search and siezure of your cellphone so they can fine you for Texting; cops using questionable speed enforcement tactics like pacing and improper radar procedures when it's quota time at the end of the month. Multiple detectives tailing a habitual photo radar violater that wears a mask just so they can generate headlines, even though each ticket is 'only' $181 (and at what cost to the department while other serious crimes went unpunished? All because the speeder was "playing games"...don't mess with my ego says Vanderpool!), Speed limits arbitrarily set and not properly posted when speeds change, Speed traps (though I guess Ajo got screwed when the road from there to Why went to 65mph) Parking tickets up the wazoo (I beat one dick in court because he wrote me for parking too close to a fire hydrant which was blocked with debris and I photographed and measured and I was 1 ft farther than required) and on and on...

Or you could just pay $20 or so every time you get stopped for the Officer to "take care of this for me".
Seems like Mexico has us beat on this one.

Just saying...

C

cactusamigo

Submarine - I don't agree with your attitude on either side of the border. It's interesting how some individuals repeatedly find themselves in situations that they have to bribe themselves out of, where most of us never find ourselves in these situations. Your post sheds some light on the reason.

RP Joe - You are stating a "tradition" that the people are trying to break. They need our help to make it happen. The common Mexican has no recourse, but the tourist does. The government of Puerto Penasco has been very emphatic in getting the word out that NO money is to be paid to the police. If you are stopped for an infraction, insist on paying your fine at the police station. This is the only way to stop the practice of being stopped solely to be shaken down for a bribe. If you are stopped, and you insist on going to the police station, most likely the officer will back off and send you on your way, unless you have committed a serious infraction. If you pay a bribe one time, you will be repeatedly targeted. The word spreads quickly as to who is an easy touch. The administration does not want the police causing any problems with tourists. Support the administration in its efforts.

S

Submarine

Your right my prickly friend, 3 times in 28 years of going to Mexico is a tad excessive. Actually, I guess we can even knock off one of those bribes as it was technically done at the Police station... paid in cash... into the proper account I am sure.

But excuse me if I'm a tad disillusioned about the legal system in Arizona. If you've done a few police ride-alongs, and I have, particularly in the South Phoenix area; you will quickly realize that, in the officers opinion, most of the drivers in that area are drunk or under the influence after 9 pm or so and most of the times on weekends. Yet you never see a DUI checkpoint in South Phoenix. You see them in Scottsdale, in Tempe, on the way back from Saguaro lake. Why? Well people in South Phoenix will just rot in jail instead of paying exhorbitant fines and legal fees. Hell, you don't even have to have been drinking to be arrested for DUI:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-05-29/news/heather-squires-was-arrested-for-dui-without-drinking-a-drop-of-alcohol

Inka don't get me started on police corruption in AZ, mostly with regards to the MCSO. I won't impugn the character of the average police officer, although I think more MCSO deputies and Andy "One Bullet" Thomas have blood on their hands due to the attitude coming from the top. Arresting editors who print unflattering articles, indicting County Supervisors without a shred of evidence (even ones I don't like such as Mary Rose Wilcox. Hey, she got her ass shot off for BOB. It grew back tenfold so we can let that one go), indicting Judges because they "conspired" to get a new court building.... seriously! What's going to happen is the Feds are eventually going to put a stop to all of this and we'll have the MCSO cut off at the balls for years.

Maricopa County is like some bad B movie just waiting for Steven Seagall or Jean Claude VanDamme to ride in and save the rest of us from the rich landowner and his goons.

C

cactusamigo

Things must really be different in Maricopa county. I never heard of police "indicting" anyone. That is usually done by a grand jury made up of citizens. Anyway, what does your diatribe about law enforcement in Arizona have to do with anything in Mexico?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Mexico vs USA, NAAA, they both are corrupted, I said it before, more money more chances to hide it, IMHO no difference, just the percieve notion that USA is not a third world country, whoopty dee!!, MMMMMMMHHH I wonder why most USA citizens, your average Joe Blow that is, stop travelling abroad? more and more I believe what the mexicans are talking about.
Sorry cactus but I agree to disagree, I have live in many countries to realize when a bribe is a bribe and USA is not as clean as you want to believe it is when it comes to those things, it just is more expensive than a third world country, but the result is the same...if you have the money honey.....
The sun is coming out and the urge to go to the beach is killing me right now, I take my coffe to go, thanks!!!:eek3:

Last edited:
S

Submarine

Things must really be different in Maricopa county. I never heard of police "indicting" anyone. That is usually done by a grand jury made up of citizens. Anyway, what does your diatribe about law enforcement in Arizona have to do with anything in Mexico?
Andy "one bullet" Thomas is the county attorney, and if you know any thing about the grand jury system it's pretty much a rubber stamp system for prosecutors. Andy Thomas, Joe Arpaio, Dave Hendershott, and Barnett Lottstein are the real conspirators corrupting this County. Seriously, just do a little research on these clowns and you might be surprised.

My point is that if I was given a choice between Maricopa County's corrupt parasitic system or Sonora's mordita, today I would choose the mordita. When we get back to "Protect and Serve" I'll change my opinion.

C

cactusamigo

I don't believe that I implied that people aren't bought off in the U.S. It happens at every level of government, and involves much larger amounts than the simple "mordita" in third-world countries. I frequently wonder why large quantities of illegal drugs are apprehended in the U.S., but major dealers never seem to be arrested as a part of these busts. The way our elected representatives' votes were bought on the "health care reform" issue is the most visible form of corruption at the national level. My point is not to promote corruption by being a part of it. Don't offer a bribe because it may seem to be the easy way out, which is an illusion.

S

Submarine

Point well taken, I'm just choosing to go my own way and pay the mordita.

I was watching something on the 'real' Miami Vice era cocaine cowboys of Miami. It mentioned how drug deals never went down the way they did on the show, with a bunch of guys with guns exchanging money and dope. The dope was delivered, the money sent back to Colombia later because the people the yeyo was delivered to worked for the Columbians. Maybe that's why there aren't any major dealers arrested, because they aren't any in this country. But regardless, if the drug war is corrupted I'd take that over legalization.

It was interesting to see Andy Thomas and Joe Arpaio side by side today dismissing their racketeering case against the Maricopa Co. Supervisors and Judges. That ship is sinking fast.

C

cactusamigo

Submarine - I find it hard to believe that there aren't any "big boy" illegal aliens overseeing the local operations, considering how much dope and money are moved. The DHS states that Mexican drug cartels are running major distribution networks in 267 (or so) of our major cities, and these guys aren't paying taxes! Confiscations are more important to our agents than arrests of those running these operations.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Submarine - I find it hard to believe that there aren't any "big boy" illegal aliens overseeing the local operations, considering how much dope and money are moved. The DHS states that Mexican drug cartels are running major distribution networks in 267 (or so) of our major cities, and these guys aren't paying taxes! Confiscations are more important to our agents than arrests of those running these operations.
Of course confiscation is more important, 'cause taking that dope of the streets is a loss for the cartels, but the old trick of letting, say 500lbs. be caught and while the cops play cat and mouse with the decoy another 3 tons is going by with no problem, the old business saying "loose a little to make a lot" still works now a days.