Crossing the border to mexico and back into the US without a passport???

cra8024

I have read many different post about traveling without a passport or passport card. I want to go to RP tomorrow and don't have a passport. I will be with 3 family members, one a child. I understand that with a DL and BC I can get back through to the US border with some hassle. Is this correct? What are some of your experiences? I can't afford to be detained in Mexico. I have school... I can't wait to enjoy the beach and the sun.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Roberto

Well Known Member
The reports from people crossing from Mexico into the US without a passport are consistent. They have no significant problem. Most report no problem at all. I have never heard that a US citizen was detained at Lukeville or any other nearby crossings because they did not have a passport. Just show your documentation, driver's license and birth certificate (best the birth certificate is an original not a copy although copies have worked too). You might get 'jawboned' a bit about it. Same going in to Mexico as they seem to be asking on the US side and some have reported having a problem. I'd just nod 'yes' if asked. Smile, be plesant and act a little dopey. Hey if it works for GV it will work for you !!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Aye Aye Aye...

For an American citizen - the only burden for re-entry is being able to demonstrate that you are a citizen.

There is no law that says a passport is the only legal method of proving citizenship. Therefore, they can not deny you entry (or exit) simply because you don't have a passport. They can implement POLICIES that say that their uniformed agents have to ASK you for your passport, but they can not legally deny a legal citizen entry into their home nation (unless they decide to detain you long enough to have Janet Napalitano petition the President to declare you to be an enemy combatant, but I digress....)

Take your birth certificate, take your DL or other government issued picture ID, and go have a good time.

If you plan to travel back and forth between AZ and Mexico regularly, then by all means, get a passport, because it is certainly easier to flash the blue book than it is to face the myriad of random questions that might arise as a result of using alternative means to demonstrate your citizenship...

mondone

Whitecaps
Aye Aye Aye...

For an American citizen - the only burden for re-entry is being able to demonstrate that you are a citizen.

There is no law that says a passport is the only legal method of proving citizenship. Therefore, they can not deny you entry (or exit) simply because you don't have a passport. They can implement POLICIES that say that their uniformed agents have to ASK you for your passport, but they can not legally deny a legal citizen entry into their home nation (unless they decide to detain you long enough to have Janet Napalitano petition the President to declare you to be an enemy combatant, but I digress....)

Take your birth certificate, take your DL or other government issued picture ID, and go have a good time.

If you plan to travel back and forth between AZ and Mexico regularly, then by all means, get a passport, because it is certainly easier to flash the blue book than it is to face the myriad of random questions that might arise as a result of using alternative means to demonstrate your citizenship...
That being said, I once, when red-lighted going into Mexico, was asked for my passport in the last year. Don't know what may have happened if I had not provided it. Would hate to be turned around after 2.5 hours of travel. Just saying.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
That being said, I once, when red-lighted going into Mexico, was asked for my passport in the last year. Don't know what may have happened if I had not provided it. Would hate to be turned around after 2.5 hours of travel. Just saying.

That was by the Mexican Border agents, right?

The OP was asking about having a passport to come BACK into the US.

With the Mexican immigration officials - they can pretty much stop you, and deny you entry, or turn you back, for whatever reason they deem appropriate... regardless of whether you have your passport or not.

Rhino

Well Known Member
I've said it before...I have never, ever had a problem going into Mexico or coming back in to the the US with nothing more than a valid US driver's license in the last many years. The last time I used my license only was about a month ago. If you have no issues with our record, you should have no issues. All that said, I typically use my passport or passport card.

mondone

Whitecaps
I realize that, but that doesn't minimize the fact that entrance into Mexico MAY(???) be denied. Why would they ask me for my passport? Who knows? Damned if I am going to drive to the border only to be refused entry.

The Man

Is it not, that MEXICO can deny you entry without a passport?

I was asked one time a while back by an mex border agent to see my passport!

I had it in my possession and even asked for my dog's papers.

Had everything! I do think is saids we need one somewhere, by MEXICO! Good question tho!

Now always carry a passcard. My wife uses a state DL passcard issued by the states that border Canada and MEXICO.

At the border she went in to get an FMM and the mex agent said no, need a passport or a pass card!

The enhanced state DL just makes easy to get back into the states.

Would be real easy for an Arizonan to go to DMV and apply for an enhanced DL and not have to hassle with any other forms of ID and even carrying a birth cerf., to get back.

My wife never got the FMM! But had her apply for a passcard.

The Man

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
The only issue with people who don't have passports or passport cards is the delay they cause others who do have those documents. Nothing worse than being the next car in line when you see a car full of people in front of you passing one piece of paper after another to the agent. Be a good neighbor, just get the proper docs.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
On your link.....

403. That’s an error.

We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know.

rockypoint

So what ever happened did you end up going to Rocky Point? Are you back lol We would like to go this weekend but i do not have a passport

Roberto

Well Known Member
So what ever happened did you end up going to Rocky Point? Are you back lol We would like to go this weekend but i do not have a passport
This subject has been beaten to death here. Do a subject search and see all the posts and information. A passport is 'requested' and good to have BUT citizens are NOT being prevented from crossing back into the US, nor are US citizens being prevented from entering Mexico without a US passport. Bring a government issued photo ID, driver's license is fine and an original birth certificate is preferred, not a fascimile. Again US citizens without a US passport are NOT being prevented from crossing back into the US . Again US citizens without a US passport are NOT being prevented from crossing back into the US . Again US citizens without a US passport are NOT being prevented from crossing back into the US .

What's the next question? The election is over so yes you can buy booze.

Come on down, the water is fine and the beer is cold, the streets are quiet and safe until GV the one man crime wave comes down in August, then all bets are off. Don't miss the Rocky Point Talk rumble in the alley behind Guau Guau's sat night when Disneynut takes on all contenders, Dry will showcase his martial arts skills and Kenny and the Dog wil have a rematch. We expect several notable walk on's too.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Is the Sasabe crossing still all dirt roads?
Thread Hijacker!! Meet me Sat night in the Alley behind Guau Guaus and bring your keyboard !!

(answer to the best of my knowledge,( Jerry is out of pocket), is yes dirt.)