Cruise Ships

mondone

Whitecaps
Scuba divers seen surveying area proposed for cruise ships, is this idea resurrecting itself now?

dmcauley

After seeing the condos going up and the galf course on Sandy Beach I now have to believe that anything is possible. A strong economy and 25 years of talking got the former done. With scuba gear it shouldn't take much more time.

MIRAMAR

In the June issue of Join Us magazine, the mayor talked about one of his goals (I believe he said by 2013) is to have Penasco as a Home Port for cruise ships, which would make Penasco the first home port in Mexico. Join Us said they were looking at 3 different sites for the dock- they didn't identify where the sites were- I would guess Sandy Beach, the port, and possibly Mirador. I've seen them ferry people onto shore in Cozumel and Samana in the Dominican Republic, but maybe because it would be the home port, they couldn't ferry everyone onto the cruise ship (?). I'm not a cruise ship person so possibly someone with more experience could answer that.

dwig222

I don't think any cruise line tethers to a home port. I'm very curious about a home port in Puerto Penasco because the major cruise lines have cancelled so many Mexico cruises out of L.A. and San Diego. They couldn't fill the ships because the media has made Mexico to be so dangerous. Are they trying to drum up business from the people of Mexico?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I don't think any cruise line tethers to a home port. I'm very curious about a home port in Puerto Penasco because the major cruise lines have cancelled so many Mexico cruises out of L.A. and San Diego. They couldn't fill the ships because the media has made Mexico to be so dangerous. Are they trying to drum up business from the pople of Mexico?[/eQUOTE]

Not only Mexico, but from the millions of other foreigners who cant travel to the U.S. or dont want to travel to the U.S. because of tough visa restrictions, but would like to see the Sea Of Cortez. With the international airport it would be a really good thing for RP. Im sure between Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, they will keep the boats packed. I heard in a couple months there was going to be a big announcement about RP, that was going to affect property values, maybe this will be the announcement. Do we have any cabin boys out there?

With the huge amounts of food, luggage, drinks. etc to on-load and all the stuff to off-load. A home port ship would have to have a dock. It would be next to impossible to use tenders to do all of that.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
With the huge amounts of food, luggage, drinks. etc to on-load and all the stuff to off-load. A home port ship would have to have a dock. It would be next to impossible to use tenders to do all of that.
Indeed, indeed. And unless they build some docks, or dredge the current harbor (so, is this where they finally kick the shrimp boats out for good?), those ships will only be able to enter and leave port at high tide. I'd guess some of them would bottom out and sit on the harbor bottom at low tide. It's by no means a deep-water port! But, money greases all the squeaky wheels. I guess we'll see.

AZ ROB

I read somewhere I will try to find it that with the cruise ships pulling out the stops between California and Mexico the Mexican Govt bought 3 cruise ships or were in talks to buy 3 I will keep searching

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Indeed, indeed. And unless they build some docks, or dredge the current harbor (so, is this where they finally kick the shrimp boats out for good?), those ships will only be able to enter and leave port at high tide. I'd guess some of them would bottom out and sit on the harbor bottom at low tide. It's by no means a deep-water port! But, money greases all the squeaky wheels. I guess we'll see.
Stuart, I know this is almost science fiction for RP but couldnt they build a loch system that would keep the marina at a constant water level? Im not even suggesting that this would happen in RP Im just curious to see if this is possible or is even being used elsewhere in the world. Im sure RP isnt the only place on Earth where big ships need to pull into shallow water, what other methods are used world wide? I must say, i know this isnt directly related but that huge mall at the harbor is starting to look pretty nice and with the face lift to the malecon and a proposed rumor I heard that the Mexican gov just awarded RP a bunch of money to repave all the streets in town, things are turning a little for RP and if or when they can start getting people to come back I wouldnt say its not completely out of the question but lets face it this is still RP. Like someone else said it only took 25 years to get the condos, this shouldnt take that long, lawl....

Cortez2

Bechtel Corporation has taken over the development of the new home port in RP. They have a survey crew here now surveying where the port will be and points for dredging to the port. It will be a home port for a major cruise line, with embarkation and debarkation making the use of the new International Airport. Construction will begin as soon as the surveying is completed. Big things coming.

MIRAMAR

http://www.joinusrockypoint.com/?p=2221#more-2221

Peñasco Mayor Zepeda Munro confirmed there have been important strides in seeing that Puerto Peñasco become a home port for cruise ships, expressing his confidence that necessary infrastructure will be built. He added expectations are that this work will begin prior to the end of the present municipal administration.
The Mayor stressed that during a recent international meeting, the most important global shipping companies determined this port as a strategic point given its proximity to the U.S., and given studies that demonstrate cruise goers travel by land in order to make it to their cruise ports.
Therefore, he stated, cruise ship companies have a good vision of Peñasco, not to mention it would be very good for this city to become a home port, an objective they have been working on for some time.
The Mayor stated the idea is that the departure point for cruise ships would begin construction during his administration, regardless that this would continue under the next administration no matter what party that may be.
The Mayor furthered in order for this project to become a reality, construction of an adequate dock for cruise ships needs to be done which they hope to achieve in the short term.
He indicated a definite location for the cruise ship dock has not been determined, though there are two or three options. The best alternative will be selected from among these. The Mayor reiterated that this project is something that does not yet exist in Mexico and is quite ambitious, with a broad vision that will help consolidate Puerto Peñasco as a tourist destination.

Rhino

So, according to your knowledge or understanding, with the Home Port be located at Sandy Beach or Old Port....or both?

El Gato

Any idea as to what cruise line? I know Holland America had committed sometime ago but think they pulled out when nothing happened.