Day of the dead happenings?

wprsly

This is the first time we are in RP at Halloween. I have not seen any mention of anything at all, let alone interesting.

Any tips on things to do?

dwig222

I don't know, but your post brings back memories of many Halloweens we spent down there at the trailer parks. We had a big table set up with huge bowls of candy. The kids would come by the car loads and some of them didn't even have a bag, they just used their shirts. I used to bring lots of grocery bags with me so they would have one. They went from one trailer park to another and then start all over again. Pretty soon we started to recognize them because it was their third time stopping at our park. Good times!

tortuga

We still get well over 1000 kids on Halloween at Playa de Oro. They start around 3:30 after school gets out and are done around 7 with stragglers all evening. Halloween is sperate from Day of the Dead which is Nov 1 for infants and children and Nov 2 for adults. These are generally family gatherings at cemetaries with picnics and celebrations of life at the graves.

If you're in town on Nov. 2nd, head over to the courtyard of the Cultural Activities Center, right across from City Hall and next to the municipal auditorium and the library. Creative teams have designed creative altars and epitaphs and the entries will be on display beginning at noon. There'll be live music by Ricardo Rivera and Trio Zafiro. If you aren't familiar with them, you should be. Trio Zafiro is the best trio in this part of Mexico and Ricardo is an incredible guitarist. There'll be a ceremony to announce the winners of the contest, and then a procession to the entrance of the Old Port, where offerings (made of environmentally safe materials) to the dead will be set out to sea.

The local film club has a screening that same day in the auditorium, for you film buffs.