Declaring merchandise going into Mexico

azfish

I like the 40 ozers, I know they dont have them. you can bring,
Adults ages 18 and older may bring up to 3 liters of wine, beer or liquor.

Thanks for the help.:ham::fishslap:

playaperro

El Pirata
I like the 40 ozers, I know they dont have them. you can bring,
Adults ages 18 and older may bring up to 3 liters of wine, beer or liquor.

Thanks for the help.:ham::fishslap:
Ok one case of beer per adult..

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good advice! I went ahead and declared the dishwasher and some other stuff and showed the receipts. It was after 8PM so the bank was closed and the agent took me into the office, did a calculation and said I owed $36. She gave me a receipt and I drove thru with out a second look.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Thanks for all the good advice! I went ahead and declared the dishwasher and some other stuff and showed the receipts. It was after 8PM so the bank was closed and the agent took me into the office, did a calculation and said I owed $36. She gave me a receipt and I drove thru with out a second look.
One advantage of declaring things like your dishwasher, is at times they break or something happens, you can return it to the U.S. for warranty work and with the receipt from Mx. customs you can cross it again with no tax, as it is imported now. So it has its advantages.

PP- You did the correct thing. NEVER try to bribe anybody! You have to know your duty-free importation limits. They can be between $50 and $150 per person, depending on your immigration/resident status. I believe the maximum is $400 per car.

I recently found out after 20 years of bringing in appliances and praying I didn't get the red light that I can buy them cheaper in RP and not have to deal hauling them and with customs.
I bought a new stove at the store (Colonials Muebles?) for $350, it is next to the bus station 6 blocks past the Super Ley.

We went to the Walmart de Penasco and found the prices to be anywhere from really inexpensive to Phx like and more (electronics were crazy expensive).
I still prefer to buy from the local businesses there. I only use Super Ley (Safeway) to buy something for a few $$ give them a $50 bill and get the change in Pesos (better exchange rate)
to use for gas purchases. My water guy told me about that trick.

toetrx

I need to bring down two ceiling fans for our condo, they were $100.00 each. Do I need to declare them at the border? Someone had told me that you are allowed
$100.00 in merchandise per person in the vehicle, any advice would be appreciated.

Roberto

Everything is sufficiently confusing right now about all this that I would just stop, park and go into the little office in the center, show the reciepts and ask. I think it used to be $75 in permitted items. There used to be a list of permitted items that required inspection and one that did not require inspection. There are definately items not permitted under any circumstances irrespective of value, and there has been a total limit of $1,000 you could import without using a broker. Yeah, stop and ask !!

Roberto

Here are the official rules of what you can and cannot bring into Mexico as a tourist, from the Sonora Tourism web site.

2.5 What is customs and what do I have to do?

In Mexico, customs is the authority responsible for the tax payment of goods and vehicles that enter and exit the country, and one of their duties is to inform you about the taxes you must pay in order to bring goods, money, or vehicles inside the country. As you go through customs, you must declare if you bring with you any goods other than your personal belongings so you can pay the resultant taxes.
2.6 Which goods are part of my personal belongings?

Your cloths, shoes, personal hygiene products new or used, a camera, a video camera with batteries, 12 films or video cassettes, binoculars, cell-phone, pager, typewriter, computer new or used (laptop, notebook, omni book, or similar), and portable printer, new or used. You may also bring in as part of your luggage a camping tent and gear, 4 fishing canes with accessories, two used sports equipments that you can carry on your own, a water surf board with or without sail, a portable or mixed sound reproduction equipment, 5 laser discs, 5 DVD and 20 CDs or audio tapes.
Also considered part of your personal luggage are a music instrument that you can carry by yourself, books and magazines in such a number that it would not seem they are for sale, 5 toys that you can carry, pharmaceuticals for your personal use (in case you need psychotropic drugs a written medical prescription is required).
Handicapped individuals may bring any personal goods they use to help them diminish their disability; adults 18 years old and older may also bring up to 20 cigarette cartons, 25 cigars, 200 grams of tobacco; as well as 3 liters of wine, beer or liquor.
2.7 What is a “franchise” and how much am I entitled to?

Is the benefit free of taxes for goods you introduce into the country. If you arrive to Mexico by plane or ship, you may introduce one or several articles apart from your luggage, up to 300 U.S. dollars, or its equivalent in other currencies. If by car or bus, the franchise is of 50 U.S. dollars per person, including under age, as long as they travel in the same vehicle. This franchise does not include additional alcoholic beverages, tobacco or additional gasoline for your vehicle.
2.8 How much do I have to pay for goods additional to the personal belongings and franchise?

If the cost of your goods exceeds the franchise but is under 1000 U.S dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must pay 17% of the total value, and fill in the “foreign commerce contribution payment” form. If the cost of your goods excluding the franchise is over 1000 U.S. dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must hire the services of a custom broker, for the importation procedures. (ask at customs where to find it).
2.9 How do I go by inspection at customs?
Not relevant to drivers.
2.10 What is not allowed to bring into Mexico?

You must not bring into the country, in your vehicle or among your personal belongings, fire weapons, bullets, explosives, and related chemical substances. Also forbidden are recreational drugs, narcotics, psychotropic and other illegal substances or vegetables.
You must be aware that the elaboration, preparation, sale, purchase, supply, transportation, introduction or removal from the country of any of the previous products is a crime punished with 10 to 25 years in prison.
2.11 What is forbidden to remove from Mexico?

Removing archeological treasures, documents, and historic objects belonging to the national patrimony, and wild plant and animal life without the appropriate authorization is forbidden.
2.12 How much money in cash or checks can I bring into Mexico?

Bringing any amount of money is not a felony, and you do not have to pay any taxes. However, if you bring more than 10,000 U.S. dollars, but under 30,000, or its equivalent in other currencies, you must declare it at customs. If you neglect this action, you will be penalized by paying 20% to 40% of the amount in excess of 10,000U.S. dollars; if the amount not declared is over 30,000U.S., dollars you will be turned to the appropriate authorities.

I didn't see anything about the meat & dairy products they've been confiscating recently, but I don't expect a government-run website to have been recently updated either. Could be months before they get that sort of information up.

T

Tomcat

I have a sony 32 inch flat screen that has to come off the wall as well as a surround sound in my fifth wheel ! its 3 + years old ! do i have to declare that ?
Here are the official rules of what you can and cannot bring into Mexico as a tourist, from the Sonora Tourism web site.

2.5 What is customs and what do I have to do?

In Mexico, customs is the authority responsible for the tax payment of goods and vehicles that enter and exit the country, and one of their duties is to inform you about the taxes you must pay in order to bring goods, money, or vehicles inside the country. As you go through customs, you must declare if you bring with you any goods other than your personal belongings so you can pay the resultant taxes.
2.6 Which goods are part of my personal belongings?

Your cloths, shoes, personal hygiene products new or used, a camera, a video camera with batteries, 12 films or video cassettes, binoculars, cell-phone, pager, typewriter, computer new or used (laptop, notebook, omni book, or similar), and portable printer, new or used. You may also bring in as part of your luggage a camping tent and gear, 4 fishing canes with accessories, two used sports equipments that you can carry on your own, a water surf board with or without sail, a portable or mixed sound reproduction equipment, 5 laser discs, 5 DVD and 20 CDs or audio tapes.
Also considered part of your personal luggage are a music instrument that you can carry by yourself, books and magazines in such a number that it would not seem they are for sale, 5 toys that you can carry, pharmaceuticals for your personal use (in case you need psychotropic drugs a written medical prescription is required).
Handicapped individuals may bring any personal goods they use to help them diminish their disability; adults 18 years old and older may also bring up to 20 cigarette cartons, 25 cigars, 200 grams of tobacco; as well as 3 liters of wine, beer or liquor.
2.7 What is a “franchise” and how much am I entitled to?

Is the benefit free of taxes for goods you introduce into the country. If you arrive to Mexico by plane or ship, you may introduce one or several articles apart from your luggage, up to 300 U.S. dollars, or its equivalent in other currencies. If by car or bus, the franchise is of 50 U.S. dollars per person, including under age, as long as they travel in the same vehicle. This franchise does not include additional alcoholic beverages, tobacco or additional gasoline for your vehicle.
2.8 How much do I have to pay for goods additional to the personal belongings and franchise?

If the cost of your goods exceeds the franchise but is under 1000 U.S dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must pay 17% of the total value, and fill in the “foreign commerce contribution payment” form. If the cost of your goods excluding the franchise is over 1000 U.S. dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, you must hire the services of a custom broker, for the importation procedures. (ask at customs where to find it).
2.9 How do I go by inspection at customs?
Not relevant to drivers.
2.10 What is not allowed to bring into Mexico?

You must not bring into the country, in your vehicle or among your personal belongings, fire weapons, bullets, explosives, and related chemical substances. Also forbidden are recreational drugs, narcotics, psychotropic and other illegal substances or vegetables.
You must be aware that the elaboration, preparation, sale, purchase, supply, transportation, introduction or removal from the country of any of the previous products is a crime punished with 10 to 25 years in prison.
2.11 What is forbidden to remove from Mexico?

Removing archeological treasures, documents, and historic objects belonging to the national patrimony, and wild plant and animal life without the appropriate authorization is forbidden.
2.12 How much money in cash or checks can I bring into Mexico?

Bringing any amount of money is not a felony, and you do not have to pay any taxes. However, if you bring more than 10,000 U.S. dollars, but under 30,000, or its equivalent in other currencies, you must declare it at customs. If you neglect this action, you will be penalized by paying 20% to 40% of the amount in excess of 10,000U.S. dollars; if the amount not declared is over 30,000U.S., dollars you will be turned to the appropriate authorities.