Dehydration

Roberto

Stuart got me thinking about this, again, as I am pretty sure it's a problem for me. I just don't feel thirsty all day, then absolutely crash in the late afternoon. I have to make myself drink at regular intervals, water is OK but I've been wondering if anyone has a formula to make a rehydrating drink? I have bought the stuff at Reggies and it seems to work well but I think it is very expensive for daily consumption. I think I paid $25 MP last for a small 600 or 700 Ml bottle.

Any thoughts? Also now that I'm acting out my dependency again, I'll Google it :oops::oops::oops: and report back anything interesting.

B

bandicoot

We use a mix called squencher here at work. I'm not sure where they buy it, but I'll ask.

This stuff works GREAT if you are out in the sun and "need" it. If you don't "need" it, it will make you pee out of your butt:-o

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Gatorade is good alternative, Roberto. I prefer water myself, but it doesn't replenish the minerals and electorlytes you lose sweating. Costco has cases of Gatorade from 9-14 bucks US. I always have some Gatorade on the boat, but didn't bother drinking it because I hate the "Kool-aid" aftertaste. Now, I'm drinking it regularly despite the taste.

A banana with a glass of water is said to do the same thing as a 'sports drink'.

But what about the old sailors tale that bananas are taboo on a boat? (They are a quick source of potasium)

Which also brings to mind an old shipping term "Ship High In Transport":boat:
to keep goods from being soiled with animal waste back when animals were shipped in the bellys of the old wooden ships...

mmmm.... don't think I should answer that one... let's just say you're only as old as you feel... and you should never act your age...:roll:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Powerade tastes MUCH better than Gatorade and they have sugar free varieties. The sugar free ones are WAY too sweet so I water them down, half water and half Powerade. The blue Powerade is the best.

P

Penasco Pirate

Trav... everybody else, too. The Squenchers are available at Graingers supply in the valley, not sure on the cost. They do come in assorted flavors. I got some from Bandicoot (Travis) and all I can say is WOW! They really work well. Haven't had the butt pee (sorry if that grosses anyone out, that's just what we call it). ;)

L

Leenie

Bananas have potassium, magnesium and other mirconutrients that are lost durring periods of sweating and with dehydration and the water well its water, the cure for dehydration.

My personal cure are Emergen-C packets, they can be found at sprouts, trader joes, some grocery stores, all health food stores, and sometimes costco. They are very low in sugar much less than powerade or gatorade. They contain alot of vitamin C, B complexes, and the micronutrients that are lost when you become dehyrated. They come on many flavors(my fav in cranberry) and run about 18 cents a packet. You just add them to water. Since it makes your water taste good, you drink more water too.

Its also a pretty kick ass hangover cure/preventor too. We always keep several boxes in mexico and all of our friends use them. One before drinking, one after drinking, and one the morning after keeps the hangover away.

There is an even cheaper oral rehydration solution that the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends, but its not nearly as tasty but it is VERY cheap. This is generally used for severe dehyration resulting from diarhhea but it can be used for regular dehydration as well.

1 liter/quart of purified water
1/2 teaspoon of table salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
8 teaspoons of sugar

1/4 teaspoon of salt substitute (provides potassium) Can omit if not available but it is VERY helpful or eat a banana.

don

Years ago, the trainers at NAU told me to mix gatorade with 50 percent water. Use at 100 percent and you'll be peeing out most of the benefits. Better yet they said, mix at 50 % with water, tastes bland but you'll still getting more than all the electrolytes needed, plus the water to keep hydrated. (I used to unload UPS trailers by hand, 4 to 6 semis each semis carrying 30 to 40 thousand pounds of cargo in several hours).

BTW, I guess everyone knows about pinching skin on your arm for hydration check.

Roberto

Don "TW, I guess everyone knows about pinching skin on your arm for hydration check. "

I tried it and it just hurt. Did I pinch too hard??

don

Uh, unless you drew blood, not hard enough...
We was a lookin' for you in Santo Tomas... We had a great time!

Roberto

Don sez "We was a lookin' for you in Santo Tomas... We had a great time! "

I had every intention of going down but I ran into a streak of misfortune, Oh well. I'll have a streak, then things are OK for an extended period.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Roberto, the way I do it is by graving the skin with two fingers and streching it outwards then release and depending how long it takes to return to its regular state, is the indicator of how dehydrated you are, you do not have to pinch hard it should not hurt, in my case I do it in the top of my hand, less meat more skin, the less hydrated that you are the longer it takes for the skin to go down to normal, just do it first in a day or time that you know you are hydrated and then start comparing from that point on and it will be a good indicator

Last edited:
L

Leenie

Pinching the skin and having it stand up for 2 seconds or more is a LATE sign of dehydration. It also is a symptom of age as well. The older some one is the less elasticity their skin has and the more tenting they will have. Also as we age we lose our feeling of thirst. that is why the eldery are so prone to kidney, bladder, and dehydration issues.

Mucus membranes(Gums and lips) that appear or feel dry is a more early sign. In adults it is known as cotton mouth. YOu can also check for capillary refill. Press down for a second onyou finger nail bed or finger pad(or gums, back of hand) and it will blanch out to white then you remove you finger is should return to its normal color pretty much instantly. If if doesn't your dehydrated.
Feeling shaky on the inside is a early sign too. Also low output and dark concentrated urine are also very early signs. If your not urinating as often as normal and/or the color is very dark you are working on a case of dehydration.