did all the fishermen blow away in the wind?

azfish

Well Known Member
I haven't seen any action on here, whats up? Everyone one bummed about the weather.
There is a bright side, you can always wet your line from shore.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I used to shorefish. Loved camping down at La Pinta and catching the nice corvina runs on the tide. But fishing is like heroin -- once addicted, you need stronger and stronger doses. Then I got my first boat... then got my second boat... and started fishing billfish tournaments and the deep reefs... and I don't think I've fished from shore since. I know I haven't even fished the local freshwater lakes here in Phoenix in years. Yes, it's still fishing. But it's hard for me to get excited about catching something the size of the bait I use out on the boat.

The addiction is strong and hard to break. Curse this wind. I'm going for it anyway within the next week or so, even if I just go out and have to slowly bump along trolling for some dorado.

dmcauley

Well Known Member
Thats what I figured for this weekend Stu, but I woke up Friday morning to the trees doubling over in my yard from the wind and got disgusted enough to just drive home.

jerry

Well Known Member
When I see some of the big stuff the guards at Santo Tomas get in a net they put out at night it makes me think about getting up at 2am and giving it A try.....then I roll over and go back to sleep.

azfish

Well Known Member
When I see some of the big stuff the guards at Santo Tomas get in a net they put out at night it makes me think about getting up at 2am and giving it A try.....then I roll over and go back to sleep.
What are they getting?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Every time I think I want to brave the forecast and go for it, all I have to do is go look at how dirty the boat is...

Then, the thinking process becomes "do I REALLY want to spend 2 hours in 110 degreee heat cleaning this thing up, just so we can launch, and watch it sit in a slip at the marina all weekend while we sit on the dock in folding chairs; drinking beer, and watching the red flag wave over the harbor?

Hell, I can do that by just taking down the folding chairs and the beer- forget the boat.

Shawno

Well Known Member
Tina and I took the boat out on Saturday. It was a bit bumpy, but the breeze and overcast skies kept it comfortable. We made bait in 58 feet of water in front of the Reef bar. We caught a big variety on sabikis. Lots of sierra mackerel, spotted bay bass, a variety of grunts, greenback mackerel, leather jacks, rose spotted snapper, ladyfish, and some kind of jack I've never seen. They were either Golden or Striped Jacks and looked like the attached photo from mexfish.com. We tried drifting the 12 mile reefs on 180 degrees with scampis, diamond jigs and live bait. We had only one bite all day and it broke off in the rocks. I think the fishing was slow due to the recent rains. Miguel at Safe Marina said that no one has been catching fish lately. We hope to try it again in 4 weeks.
gdjkmath.jpg

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
^ ^ ^ ^
Somebody got out. Yeah!!! Shawn... "a bit bumpy"... he's said the same thing about 30 ft. waves off the North Shore of Hawaii, too. Hahahaha! :rofl:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
they get big corvina, Totoba,huge guitar fish...they love them...the occasional small grouper
So, do they eat the guitarfish or dry and sell them to make devil chupacabras out of them? There certainly isn't much in the way of meat on them, mostly cartilage.
HankGuitarfish.jpg

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
^ ^ ^ ^
Shawn... "a bit bumpy"... he's said the same thing about 30 ft. waves off the North Shore of Hawaii, too. Hahahaha! :rofl:
No joke-

for Shawno, "a little bit bumpy" means the waves were "just barely breaking over the transom"

Shawno- the Sea of Cortez's own "Deadliest Catch" caliber fisherman.... the rest of us are all total sissies.

Shawno

Well Known Member
It's partially my wife's fault. She hates to stay on shore and says "it's always rough so we might as well get used to it". I don't mind fishing rough seas when anchored. The real trick is getting anchored on a good spot though. Can't wait to get out again on 8/17 and 8/31. The fishing is usually pretty good then, but not for the faint of heart. Its the polar opposite of the Bearing Sea.:happy: