Directv Help

Rhino

Hey Guys, can anyone suggest someone in Penasco to help convert my Directv system over to HD? I have the new dish, receiver etc. Also, will my DVR work there? Thanks!

jerry

You know I brought mine down..finally set it up with help from the forum ,then thought about it a bit and disconnected it.Television at the beach is bullshit.Read a book!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Gee, Jerry,
Tell us how you really feel.......You know, I'm sometimes down for 4 or 5 days at a time and miss seeing a little news now and again. I was down there when we (the US) starting bombing someone, I forget who it was. We were up on the sundeck, drinking and playing dominoes when everyone in the park in motorhomes came bombing out of their rigs, unhooked, unplugged, just started shoving their stuff in their rigs and hollerin'. I finally went downstairs to ask someone what was goin' on and they said, you better get out of here, we are at war and they are going to close the borders, yada, yada. I went back upstairs and we watched the mass exodus. It was amazing, the park emptied out in 2 hours!!!! It was nice and quiet the next 3 days! LOL! Rookies! But, I digress. I just want to know what is going on every day or so and everybody has the right to have what they want in their life. I don't fish but I wouldn't try to stop everyone else from fishing.

I can't help ya Rhino, but I'm sure RP Joe or someone will chime in here.

Last edited:

Jellyfish

I could also use help with my Direct TV in Cholla. We are unable to get local channles, possibly just needs the dish direction adjusted. It's FOOTBALL season and we can only spend so much time in the bars.
Any advice or referral would be appriciated.

I think all you need to do is install the dish...you can keep the same cables in place. Install the new reciever and plug it into the TV. Not sure why you need helpt o convert in existing Directv system to HD.

As for the DVR...yes...it will work.

Kenny

Hey Guys, can anyone suggest someone in Penasco to help convert my Directv system over to HD? I have the new dish, receiver etc. Also, will my DVR work there? Thanks!
When I recently moved, and only a few miles, I upgraded to HD and I had to get a new dish. The dish for HD is different, it's bigger for one thing, and of course, I had to get a new receiver as well. Actually, even though I have a HD ready TV (sony 32" Trinatron), I'm not sure I'd bother with it if I had it to do over again for the difference it made. I also now have two recievers that I owned sitting in the closet, while I'm paying $5 to "rent" their's.

Last edited:

Kenny

HD ready for 480. You need a new TV too. Get a 1080p HD.
I know that someone wants me to, but as the song go's "It ain't me babe. Heck, maybe I'll need 3D glasses, and a button to push for smellavision too.

Last edited:
To go to Directv HD, you need a new dish and the aiming/pointing is quite a bit more complicated....you have to adjust for 3 angles (the Dishnetwork dishes have had that, although they are smaller).....I had one installed when I moved recently, and the installers have a device that helps them get the signal strength. It's not like the simple digital signal strength meter I've used to adjust my dish if it gets moved. The switch that goes between the dish and the receiver is also powered.

I still use my 18 inch dish from pre-hd days for my setup in Penasco, using the hd receiver. You just don't get hd channels. You also won't get hd if you don't have an hd tv, obviously. You have to go into the system setup and change the type of dish you are using, but it's not a big deal.

The only problem I've had is when I bring the receiver back home and hook it up. I don't get the hd channels on the guide or tv, unless I call Directv and have them resend the activation signal. I don't know if it's a glitch with my reciever (I don't take my dvr down, just a hd receiver), or there is something that happens that freezes it when I run it on the 18 inch dish for a while. One of these days I'll take the dvr with me instead and check it out.

It is no big deal The three settings sound tough but they are no more than the old two with an angle on the dish.
When I set mine up in the fall it generally takes about 10 min. Just follow the on screen directions. The Satellite is south of Texas at about 30 deg. above the southern horizon. Look around and find another like yours and that will help a bunch. If you are in POD and don't mind weighting until Oct 15 I will help you.

Bill....are you talking about the new larger elliptical dishes that Directv is using now? They also have a brace for the pole. I think they're hitting 5 different satellites, and have to be pretty spot on to get a good signal from all to get all of the hd channels.

joester

2 salty dawgs
what is the approximate elevation and azimuth in PP for Directv dish aiming?
I see Lukeville is 50.4 elevation and about 158 azimuth, I know it has to be roughly close to that, just wondering if it's closer to 50.8 and about 162? (those are my rouch calcs....)

Landshark

I used the Lukeville settings and found that from the east beaches the dish pointed at Bird Island. Then fine tuned with signal strength meter and two-way radios.

On HD, it may be more sensitive, but the Phoenix or Lukeville settings should get you a decent signal on SD, then fine tune for strength

joester

2 salty dawgs
our tempe azimuth is 149, and Lukeville is 158, so there's a bit of difference there, so I was guessing due to the locations as I looked on Google Earth, that the approx azimuth at PP would be close to 162. the elevation seems to be within one degree, and it'd be hard to tune much closer than that. signal finder will be an asset. thanks :)

Joe....a digital meter inline helps considerably (used to use an analog one, but the lag was too much...frequently overshot). Next time down, I'll check a friend's dish that I set up, to see what the values are.