Ditch bag contents and on board Emergency Gear

don

Stu, Sixty, Kelney, Ric, DM, Sally and others, please add your suggestions on gear you have aboard. Obviously everyone should carry the minimum basic US Coast Guard required items, this is for additional gear you fellas recommend.

To get it started these are a few items I carry:

I carry two waterproof handhelds, one in a floating ditch bag,(this radio has floating neoprene jacket) one at the helm.

Portable Electric bilge pump with wiring and hoses connected.

1 dive light in the ditch bag.

Other contents to be added.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I know Ric carries a SOLAS type life raft on his boat. I've been thinking about investing in the same. When shit goes wrong, it seems to go wrong in a big hurry. I think my life is probably worth the $2000 it costs for a good survival raft.

I have two handheld GPS, one in a floating neoprene, handheld radio, spare batteries, bottled water, and all the typical Coast Guard stuff. Flare pistol, flares, chem-lights. Rope.

Sixty

A life raft would be nice, but they are also alot of maintenance. There is a company that sells emergency locator beacons, similar to an Epirb but they monitor them around the world and will alert emergency personnel in what ever country they recieve a distress call from. Off hand I cant remember the name, but I'll do some research a little later and post up what I find. This could defianelty be a lifesaver.

I carry multiple flares, calume sticks, mirror, whistle, portable VHF, handheld gps (unfortunately not water proof).

There are some really good threads on bloodydecks and thehulltruth about this subject.

don

I've read where one can rent one of the locator beacons for several days to ? for a much cheaper price than puchasing/and paying for the service. I'll post that info as well.

dmcauley

The only thing I can add is my air horn- We should all carry a set of long johns because they do help to keep the body heat in for a little while-We all carry rope which helps to keep a small group together
.Great topic

Kelney

In addition, I have the usual:
Basic tool kit
Life Raft in a cannister. It is out of certification so it very well may deflate as fast as it inflates. I also keep it in my cabin. I don't like going in my cabin in rough water so it would be a dilemma on whether I would get it or just say to hell with it.
coast guard emerg kit that has flares, smoke, etc
manual bilge pump.
I vacuum seal my hand held gps to make it water proof
hand held radio.

JimMcG

All very good advice, albeit costly. If you are going to set sail in the Sea of Cortes you might need all of the aforementioned gear and then some. To those who are only used to fishing Az lakes it is vital to know that the sea can be an overpowering adversay when the weather decides to show its incredible and unrelenting power.

E

El Semental

Stuart said:
Flare pistol, flares, chem-lights. Rope.
I have heard that you could posses one of these legally in Mexico. Can you carry it in your vehicle? Is it a 12 gauge?

don

Here is info on renting a EPIRB.

These are offered through www.boatus.com. They rent for 40 bucks per week and there is a 25 dollar shipping charge (includes return shipping). I'm going to contact "boatus" to see if these would be useful in the sea of Cortez (dispatching rescue vessels).

There is a new product on the market, called a spot messenger. Its similar to an EPIRB, but costs less then 200 bucks. There is about a 100 dollar yearly subscription fee though. I'll look for similar info on these puppies for RP.

One of my fishing buddies experienced a tragedy at sea. It involved a Capt. taking a poorly maintained vessel out, well beyond its capabilities. I'll post more later.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
El Semental said:
Stuart said:
Flare pistol, flares, chem-lights. Rope.
I have heard that you could posses one of these legally in Mexico. Can you carry it in your vehicle? Is it a 12 gauge?
Yes, it is 12 gauge. The flares cartridges look like 12 gauge shells. It is in a bright orange case and the flaregun itself is bright orange plastic. Kind of obvious that it's an emergency device, not a handgun. I don't carry it in my vehicle, it's tucked away on the boat. I've heard differing opinions on the legality of it in Mexico, but because it is tucked away out of sight, it's never been an issue for me during cursory searches. I guess it all depends on who found it and how hard-ass they wanted to be.

don

Hi Stu!
Say, do you have the 24 inch or 36 inch manual bilge pump from West Marine? Do you have one or two pumps? Did you have any problem with the "Hose" coming off your pump? Seems like some folks did, perhaps they have an older version of pump.

I've heard of some folks using/keeping on board a dry suit /survival suit for winter ditches. I'll post info when I find prices on new/used.

don

I contacted BoatUS about their rental program and if the Mexican Navy would respond and here is their answer plus more info on using a "SPOT" type of locater beacon.

Here is the response from "Boatus":

"The short answer to whether the Mexican Navy will respond is we do not know. The U.S. is a signatory of COSPAS-SARSAT (the international agreement that manages EPIRB responses) where as Mexico is not. An EPIRB that is activated in that region would be picked up by the nearest Mission Control Center (Suitland Maryland) and then they (or the Ground Receiving Stations – California or Miami) would contact the appropriate Mexican officials to perform the search and rescue. This is the same level of service people can expect when boating in the Caribbean as many countries there are not COSPAS SARSAT signatories.

The SPOT Messenger is a nice product but should not be used as your sole source of emergency communications. Unlike an EPIRB, the signal MAY be picked up by SPOT’s fee-for-service rescue coordination company. At which point they would identify the appropriate rescue personnel and contact them just as a concerned family member would do."

don

The big question I have is....WHO IS GOING TO RESCUE YOU IF SOMETHING HAPPENS????? A friend fo mine who lives down there used to be a member of the search and Rescue run out of Cholla...but he said there is nothing active right now.

don

Here is what I've found for Emergency kit prices:

The best price/components I've found for an Orion Emergency flare kit is at West Marine. This kit contains 6 aerial flares and plastic gun, 6 hand held flares, 2 orange smoke daytime flares, signal mirror, and comes in a fluorescent orange floating bag (it has room for a short length of rope). I bought this at a West Marine Phx. store for 109 bucks and saved 30 bucks in haz mat shipping. I also purchased for 10 bucks apiece land/water emergency whistles (to be attached to life vests).

You can purchase similar Orion Emergency kits for less $ (Bass Pro or Cabelas) but they have less components.

I also picked up a manual bilge pump from West Marine. Make sure and measure the depth of your bilge so you can get the correct length pump.

Bahia Trader had an emergency and he contacted the Mexican Navy.

Who will respond? Carrying an EPIRB is just another ace in your hand.

So, like DM said, be prepared!

don

B

bahiatrader

Actually, contacting the Armada Naval was a last resort. I was unable to file a float plan with Cholla Bay on the morning in question because nobody was manning the radio at Cholla Bay. When both motors quit, I was able to contact another boat by radio, but lost contact before I could give our coordinates out. We contacted a friend on shore by cell phone who was able to implement our rescue. After they were unable to contact Cholla Bay or anyone with a boat who could help us out, they contacted the Navy. They wouldn't accept any pay, even when I offered to buy a round of cervesa for the crew.
When I go out now, I make sure my cell phone is charged up, and someone on shore has phone numbers for emergency. I don't know what the range on cell phones is, but I've been able to use mine from 20 mi. offshore. A good working cell phone is part of my emergency gear.