Do It EVERY Trip, Don't forget!

Roberto

Well Known Member
Before every visit to Penasco take a little time and a few bucks and stop by your local Goodwill or the like, pick up some children's clothes and or blankets, stash them in your vehicle and bring them along on your trip. A few garments or a whole bag full. The Goodwill in Payson has one day a week that you can fill a grocery bag with clothes for only $1. Maybe your local Goodwill offers something similar. Most of them have more inventory than they can deal with. Maybe you can get a special bulk deal, but please don't think your gift might be too small. One bag of rice or beans, one warm winter jacket will be appreciated. Go through your closet and take out the stuff you never wear, the clothes your children have outgrown, those extra blankets you got from aunt Matilda's estate and bring em down. We have a friend from Az that loves to haunt the yard sales. She's a regular supplier of children's clothes.

Do it every trip, don't forget. Make it a habit. Put it on your list of things to NOT forget, you know, Passport, fishin stuff, beach chairs, clothes and food for Penascos children. The need is enormous, your gift won't go unappreciated. If you need a tax deduction, that can be arranged.

Food is always welcome too! Non-perishable of course, dried beans and rice, stuff like that.

Where to take it? You may already have a drop off point in mind but here's an easy alternative. Just stop by Twin Dolphins Real Estate office, right on Fremont Blvd, just a couple of blocks off Benito Juarez, between the Nissan dealer and the Cruz Roja, Monday thru Sat. between 10am and 3pm (to be safe) . We will be sure that your gift is passed on to needy families in Penasco.

Alternatively call me and I'll come and pick up whatever you got. Mexican Cell 110-1629 or 602-324-7241.

Don't forget now!!

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Just remember to stash any used clothing...from info that I just read, the customs people (Mexican) at the border will not permit you to bring it in.

X-Coastie

Well Known Member
I have friends that give me their childrens clothes, toy, and old bikes. I confess that I do not do it evey time but more than not.

PintoPoint

Well Known Member
I bring in five of six bags every time. If they give me any trouble I offer to thow it away in there trash and they have always just let me go.

dwig222

Well Known Member
Great idea. I always think about it, but then I forget while I'm so busy packing. I never knew where to drop it off. When I see the kids living next to the railroad tracks I just want to go out and buy as many blankets as I can afford. We have a brand new Goodwill store here in Surprise and I'll be sure to do that next time.

P

Penasco Pirate

I have several good friends there that take everything I bring everytime! Oscar and Sharlot over at Rocky Point Marine House have their ear out for needy people and Seadweller has taken some stuff for me, too. We are taking 2 wheelchairs down next time and need to meet up with Mark (you readin' this, Mark?).

Roberto

Well Known Member
Somebody asked about shoes. Yes, shoes of all kind but especially tennies and kids stuff.

One friend bought one of those plastic tubs, the big ones, as a place to store collected stuff in between trips. She taped a clasp envelope to the lid and put her passport in it so she would not forget the tub!!

If you are worried about the Mexican inspectors, try using an old suit case to bring the clothes through. They don't bother personal luggage much. They are concerned about people bringing stuff down in large quantities to sell, that's their job.

I have several good friends there that take everything I bring everytime! Oscar and Sharlot over at Rocky Point Marine House have their ear out for needy people and Seadweller has taken some stuff for me, too. We are taking 2 wheelchairs down next time and need to meet up with Mark (you readin' this, Mark?).
Thanks Matt, we will be looking forward to seeing you next time you're down... Merry Christmas to you and Dusty...

dwig222

Well Known Member
I have a question about the quality of the things they want. For example, I have a new navy blue sweat shirt that had bleach splattered on it. It's not real bad, just three or four "pea size" white spots. Do they want something like that or will they be offended. Also I'm just getting ready to throw away a few small rugs because the rubber backing is coming off the bottom of them and it clogs up my dryer. But when the rugs are on the floor, they look brand new.

Do they want things like underwear and socks? My hubby is high maintenance and he gets rid of socks and underwear that is still in good condition. I would hate to throw out a pair of socks when someone in RP is walking around in bare feet in the winter.

Also, can you tell us the best way to "hide" it? Since Playa Elegante closed, we sold our RV and I have lots of blankets and towels from the RV that are stored in the garage that I would be happy to give them.

playaperro

El Pirata
I have a question about the quality of the things they want. For example, I have a new navy blue sweat shirt that had bleach splattered on it. It's not real bad, just three or four "pea size" white spots. Do they want something like that or will they be offended. Also I'm just getting ready to throw away a few small rugs because the rubber backing is coming off the bottom of them and it clogs up my dryer. But when the rugs are on the floor, they look brand new.

Do they want things like underwear and socks? My hubby is high maintenance and he gets rid of socks and underwear that is still in good condition. I would hate to throw out a pair of socks when someone in RP is walking around in bare feet in the winter.

Also, can you tell us the best way to "hide" it? Since Playa Elegante closed, we sold our RV and I have lots of blankets and towels from the RV that are stored in the garage that I would be happy to give them.
Yes they will reuse all mentioned used clothes. They only tax you on new stuff, The blankets and towels just tell them they are used and going to your place, say Cholla Bay. Its cold their.
The clothes too, their is no limit on the used stuff, Just look them in the eye and stick to your story..Don't hide the clothes.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Just put the stuff in big duffels or suitcases....then it appears to be your clothing/stuff.

dmcauley

Well Known Member
My wife and I have been doing this for years. No problems with the aduanas. We always bring in garbage bags loaded with clothes and just say "cosas personal". This Christmas we brought in 54 turkeys in two trips and were not hassled.
Thanks for this post Roberto

Roberto

Well Known Member

Do they want things like underwear and socks? My hubby is high maintenance and he gets rid of socks and underwear that is still in good condition. I would hate to throw out a pair of socks when someone in RP is walking around in bare feet in the winter. .
Most of the people I know will be grateful for the items you mention. Socks and underwear, yes, clean of course. If you look at something and say "that's a rag" leave it home, if you look at something and say "that's still useable" bring it along.

Thanks for you interest and concern. The people of Puerto Penasco will be grateful, remember nothing is too small either, one coat, one blanket.

dwig222

Well Known Member
That's what I thought. If they are cold, they won't care if the sweatshirt has a bleach stain, but I just wanted to make sure. I even have a bag of mis-matched socks which I feel they would appreciate if their feet are cold. As you say, they live in a cardboard box and I'm just going to throw them away.

Roberto

Well Known Member
We just had a visit from one member who apparently clean out their closets and brought 5 fabulous large bags of clothes. That donation made a lot of people happy ! Thanks again !

Roberto... that is great news... Yesterday was a busy day for us as well... over the weekend Barb and I had the pleasure of meeting toesinthesand a.k.a. Wendy...

We took 16 bags of clothes to the "Esperanza Para Nuevo Vida" Community Center, and we also took a load of school supplies to each of the 2 schools we currently have in our Adopt-A-Classroom program...

We also paid a visit to "La Montana School for Special Needs Children" and we will be adding them to our program... we will be returning to the La Montana school today to get a list of things they are in need of...

click on the attachments to see photos...

some of the children at our first school "Elvira Fabiola Cenena"

View attachment 822

our latest addition to our Adopt-A-Classroom of Rocky Point program La Motana School for special needs children
View attachment 824View attachment 823View attachment 821

Therapy Room at "La Montana"
IMG_0565.jpgIMG_0561.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

PintoPoint

Well Known Member
Each trip we bring what ever will fit in the truck. We just drive along the railroad tracks and stop at a different house each time. A blessing to them and a greater blessing for us. My wife always finds a little change purse and puts in whatever change I bring back from the last trip. The kids love toys and are alway gratefull. My thoughts are to start bringing food staples down. Plastic sheeting and tarps would not hurt either.

trade

Roberto... that is great news... Yesterday was a busy day for us as well... over the weekend Barb and I had the pleasure of meeting toesinthesand a.k.a. Wendy...

We took 16 bags of clothes to the "Esperanza Para Nuevo Vida" Community Center, and we also took a load of school supplies to each of the 2 schools we currently have in our Adopt-A-Classroom program...

We also paid a visit to "La Montana School for Special Needs Children" and we will be adding them to our program... we will be returning to the La Montana school today to get a list of things they are in need of...

Thanks Mark & Barb! See you soon, hopefully with a lot of egg ammo!