Donations?

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Have been doing some major household cleaning and would like to donate some clothing on our next trip to Rocky Point. However, not sure on who to contact or where to go? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roberto

Well Known Member
You have lots of options. Adult stuff can go the the old folks home run by the Catholic church, on Josefa, next to the large cathedral, a few blocks past the RR tracks. If you go there buy and take a box of adult disposable diapers along as they are always need. The RP Times Office collects and distributes donations. Childrens stuff can go directly to the DIF, main office is best, on Sinaloa close to Benito Juarez or out on the highway directly to the childrems home there. Watch for the sign on the left on the way into town. You can drop off stuff at Twin Dolphins office, next to the Cruz Roja on Fremont as a matter of convenience and we will pass the stuff along. I just delivered a large bag to the Old Folks and yes went to Sams and bought a box of disposables. I know some people who like to drive out along the RR tracks and pass stuff out directly.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I have been turned away at the border for bringing bags of clothing down for donation.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
I have been turned away at the border for bringing bags of clothing down for donation.
That's something I hear frequently. Here are my thoughts on donations:

1. If you give through an organization like DIF (as opposed to just driving around giving to "poor people", there's really no accountability. There are people who appear needier than they are. There are those who turn around and sell what you donate to others. DIF will give a family the help they need, but they will also check to see whether drugs, booze, family violence, illness or lack of employment are contributing factors to the family's struggles, and if they are, a the family will be offered resources such as rehab, therapy or job training.

2. Organizations that have worked tirelessly to help others need the support as well if they are to continue their work. I wouldn't want my efforts to derail the work they're doing in the community. This is why I support those who take care of animals instead of running around feeding them myself. I feel an obligation to support organized efforts.

3. Please remember that there is another Children's Shelter...Amores de Penasco...in town. Although the two shelters are supportive of each other (sometimes taking in children for the other), Esperanza para los Niños by far gets more donations because they're more visible on the highway and people don't even realize there's another Shelter. Amores de Penasco is always in dire need (diapers) and Esperanza gets a steady stream of donations.

4. Please refrain from giving handouts to beggars...especially cute or pitiful-looking children! They aren't out doing kid-things because looking pitiful can be lucrative. You might feel better for giving, but you aren't doing them OR the community any favors.

Thanks for listening~

Esperanza

Well Known Member
You are right Rosy, I had NO IDEA there was another children's home in PP. Can you provide additional info please?

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Please refrain from giving handouts to beggars...especially cute or pitiful-looking children! They aren't out doing kid-things because looking pitiful can be lucrative. You might feel better for giving, but you aren't doing them OR the community any favors.~
When those often-chubby, cute kids ask for handouts, I respond, "Okay -- and what will you do for me?

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
DIF is the organization for Integral Family Development. Not so much child welfare, but they oversee a bunch of projects that cover all aspects of needs and protection of vulnerable people (disabled, children, elderly). They train, counsel, provide for, and sometimes house people in need, but they do so responsibly. Traditionally in Mexico, DIF at the Federal level is headed up (non-paid position) by the President's wife. At the State level by the Governor's wife and in every city, by the Mayor's wife. Unlike the government welfare programs in the US, there aren't government resources to pay for anything other than a few administrative staff positions, so the success of the program relies heavily on donations.

Okay, now directions to Amores de Peñasco: If you're going north (as if towards the highway) on Josefa O. de Dominguez (the road to Las Conchas), turn right at the street where there's a little supermarket named GISEL (obviously, if you're headed south...like from the highway towards Las Conchas, you'd make a left turn at Gisel. That street is Juan Aldama, but I don't remember whether there are signs. Anyway, once you turn, go about 7 blocks. On the left-hand side (farside) you'll see the Basic Rehabilitation Unit (UBR). This isn't drug rehab, it's physical therapy for the handicapped. Turn left and park. Amores de Penasco and the UBR share the block and a nice little park that's there for the kids.

Former first lady Minerva de Renteria is the Director and they'd be thrilled to welcome anyone willing to help. If you know people in Las Conchas, you might contact Kathleen Duncan. Kathleen is their most faithful volunteer. She comes down frequently to visit the kids and is up-to-date with the list of needs. Diapers are always in demand...toddler size.

York

User is currently banned
We will be down in three weeks for four days and have a six foot by ten foot open trailer that is pretty full of goods, where is the prefered location for distribution, city hall, a home of some sort?

York

User is currently banned
We will tell them what our intentions are, ( things for the needy ) if we have to pay a duty of some sort, we will do that.

jerry

Well Known Member
We will be down in three weeks for four days and have a six foot by ten foot open trailer that is pretty full of goods, where is the prefered location for distribution, city hall, a home of some sort?
Have been doing some major household cleaning and would like to donate some clothing on our next trip to Rocky Point. However, not sure on who to contact or where to go? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do a yard sale in your town.Most likey Mexicans will buy a lot of it anyways.They then cross the border and sell cheap.You bring the cash you made down and give it to a charity.

JB123

Hi all,

We will be down in PP in a week and were wondering if the places mentioned above are still valid options for donations. We plan to take childrens clothes, adult clothes, and kids toys.

TIA

marybna

Well Known Member
At my first condo in RP, I had a hide-a-bed that I bought in a package. Our daughter came down one weekend and told us it was awful to sleep on. I went to a furniture store a bought another one that day. I told the HOA I would give it to someone that needed a couch. 2 days later I am going to town on that street that has all the yard sales and there is my couch for sale. I stopped and talked to the guy. He told me he bought it from a guy that works at my condo for $20 and was selling it for $50. He told me that workers get all kinds of thing given to them that they sell to him for his yard sales.
After that, I only gave things to people I got from RPT.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We donate to people on the far east side of town. If we see a parent walking with their children, we'll donate to them.