Dont,t bring dirt or food into into Mexico

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Actually a flyswatter is "matamoscas". (kill flies) But insect volador assesino is cute... LOL!

Last edited:
You can learn a lot just like the time I went to Bodega Aurrra and tried to buy a flyswatter. During my visual description of a flyswatter the young girl said “si” and then showed me a hammer. I now know a hammer is a “martillo”and that there is no direct translation for flyswatter but is said as “insect volador assesino”.
I had a similar humorous experience in Super Ley once after we had forgotten our beach umbrella. Normally I look for the youngest person around for a translation...anyway they figured it out and we got one for like $6 USD! And if anyone knows how to score one of their official berets, yeah, lemmie know.

I'm all for shopping locally as much as I can....but many people coming down don't know their way around town, don't know where to shop, and don't want to spend a lot of time looking and take away from their vacation time. They may split their time eating out and preparing stuff where they are staying.

When I was coming down years ago with my young kids (by myself, by the way), we spent most of our time in the water and on the beach (early morning til sunset). I packed food in, even pre-cooked meals that were frozen, and then easily microwaved. Did I want to try find the stores to do some shopping with a 5 or 6 year old? Hell no! We were on vacation!

So please you regulars, or permanent residents, who know your way around town and the locations of all the best places to shop...stop trying to make those who want (or need) to bring some food down to feel guilty!!!

jerry

Is that guy still making Thai Food that posted last year...I love Thai Food more than any other food. Sonoran Mexican food is maybe number 8

GV Jack

Snorin God
If you need directions, stop by Roberto's in the morning, when he's not there. The nice young lady will give you great directions.

It's not a matter of guilt, it's a matter of adventure and would I rather have someone take $35.00 worth of steak from me at the border or enjoy better beef there?

Don't get me wrong, I do bring some stuff in and I'm not going to volunteer to take your 5 year old shopping. Hell, I don't like to take my 70 year old wife shopping and I'll deny I ever said that.

GV Jack....I can find the places for shopping...I was referring to visitors who may come 2 or 3 times a year....not everyone considers looking for ribyeyes or the "right" cheese as an adventure....they are in Penasco to relax on the beach and enjoy their vacations...and your idea of "fun" or an adventure may not correspond to theirs!

Who's Roberto?:stir: Do you expect an infrequent visitor to know who he is, or where he works/hangs out?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Sorry Joe,

Roberto is a oftimes respondant and friend of the forum. He's located at Twin Dolphins Realty on Fremont.

He's always on me about about my police record in RP. FYI, I go down 3 to 4 times a year for the last few years.

I love the beaches, the bars, the restaurants and the cheeses, but your right, not everyone's as goofy as yours truly.

My only interest is for folks to enjoy Rocky Point and hopefully helping them at the check points, in this case.

Enjoy the beaches and hope to see you there on my next trip down.

Roberto

Joe Sez: So please you regulars, or permanent residents, who know your way around town and the locations of all the best places to shop...stop trying to make those who want (or need) to bring some food down to feel guilty!!!

I have no interest in making anyone feel guilty. There are some legal probles with bringing in certain food but one need not abandon a vacation because of that. Further, trying to point out the advantages of not packing, etc. etc. It ain't that hard to get around Penasco anyway. Two of the biggest stores are right on the way into town and you can get everyting there in a half hour or so of shopping. I don't see no smilys either:wink::wink::mexico::mexico:

srtoad

MRS SrToad here. There is absolutely NO phobia involved in my previous question. Thank you RP Joe for understanding that not everyone views a trip to the local grocer as an adventure. As a working mom, I have no desire to spend my precious vacation hours grocery shopping! Trust me, we visit Super Ley quite often when we visit. We purchase our breakfast and lunch from the local vendors and have made friends with them. We eat at the local restaurants. Heck, we've even had dinner at Mexico Russ' home and many of the locals are personal friends. We've spent the past 25 years building friendships and memories because we LOVE it there! And because I respect the laws of Mexico, I don't want to break them so I'm simply trying to find out what is and is not allowed. Unlike visitors to the US, these rules are not easy to find. If you know what they are, please let me know. Otherwise, please, relax and stop questioning people's motives.

jerry

They have handout they give out at the border and it's on line...I think it;s been linked too...Cheetos without hotsauce are ok
MRS SrToad here. There is absolutely NO phobia involved in my previous question. Thank you RP Joe for understanding that not everyone views a trip to the local grocer as an adventure. As a working mom, I have no desire to spend my precious vacation hours grocery shopping! Trust me, we visit Super Ley quite often when we visit. We purchase our breakfast and lunch from the local vendors and have made friends with them. We eat at the local restaurants. Heck, we've even had dinner at Mexico Russ' home and many of the locals are personal friends. We've spent the past 25 years building friendships and memories because we LOVE it there! And because I respect the laws of Mexico, I don't want to break them so I'm simply trying to find out what is and is not allowed. Unlike visitors to the US, these rules are not easy to find. If you know what they are, please let me know. Otherwise, please, relax and stop questioning people's motives.

dwig222

I can certainly understand anyone who is "afraid" to buy their food and water in Rocky Point, as I would feel the same if I were going to a small beach town in other areas of Mexico. We've been going down long enough that we know which grocery store will have what we are looking for and how to get there. That's why this board is such a great tool for the infrequent travelers who are just learning that they may get stopped at the border and have their food taken from them.

I can go down to Rocky Point with the clothes on my back and have a great time and eat very, very well. The food in the major stores is fresh and very similar to our stores in the states. You might not find everything you need to make a gourmet dinner, but relax, make something else. It took me years to remember to bring horseradish for my cocktail sauce, but now you can find it down there. Most of the major restaurants are great, look around and see how many cars are outside and you'll know the good ones. If anyone needs a particular item or wants to know about a grocery store or restaurant, there are many wonderful folks on this board that will answer their questions or direct them. Bottom line is, don't be afraid to go there if you can't bring your own food.

AZ ROB

I am with Dwig I hit the border with the clothes on my back we travel light as soon as we get to the condo we drop off the dog and then go to make the rounds seeing friends and buying a few drinks. Then it is off to Santa Fe and the Caraceria (meat market) for food and anything we may need then back to the condo to watch the sun set. I understand how people feel the first few trips I brought everything from water to ground coffe. But with the help of this forum I have found my little spots to shop and get everything we need. Las Palmas for the fresh italian sausage, Tequilla factory for Ground coffe, Santa Fe for chicken and staples, or a street vendor for the freshest fruits and veggies,

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
It work's both way's, how would anybody here feel, if the Mexican's started to complain about not being allowed to bring dog food or they're own food into the U.S. Most of the posters here would think they were wacky, or wonder what they're problem was, even think they were being ridiculous. Canada has the same exact rules, no dog food and no dirt from the U.S. or anywhere else.

jerry

I caught my dog munching on a dead Humbolt Squid on the beach last time we were at Santo tomas...might have solved the dog food import problem
It work's both way's, how would anybody here feel, if the Mexican's started to complain about not being allowed to bring dog food or they're own food into the U.S. Most of the posters here would think they were wacky, or wonder what they're problem was, even think they were being ridiculous. Canada has the same exact rules, no dog food and no dirt from the U.S. or anywhere else.

MIRAMAR

Tequila factory has ground coffee? What's the price? I would love some Mexican coffee, but I've found coffee is expensive from Mexico.