Driving Directions and Carne Asada

mis2810

Hi Everybody - making a trip down to PP next week. We're picking up some friends first who live in Chandler - at Dobson and Warner exactly. Normally we take 10W to 85S, but considering we're already going to be in Chandler I was trying to figure out a better way to get to Gila Bend. Looking at Mapquest it seems like we have 3 options: 1) 10E to 8W; 2) 10E to Queen Creek Road then through Maricopa and Mobile; or 3) South through Maricopa on the 347 to the 84 to 8W. I'm wondering which of these is the fastest routes? It seems like through Mobile would be fastest, but I don't know the road. Any advice?

Also, anybody have any suggestion on where to buy some carne asada once we're in PP? The kind that you can buy already marinated? At the carnicerias here in Phoenix we usually just ask for carne asada preparada.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
From Dobson and Warner go to 10E (either take Warner Rd. west or go south on the 101 to the 202). Take I-10 east to Queen Creek Road, make a right off the exit and head to Maricopa. In Maricopa, turn right and head west on 238. This is the first "main" light in Maricopa (there are a couple before this that go into subdivisions). 238 is affectionately known as "Dead Cow Highway" because of the dead cattle we used to see along this route, but fencing is better now and we haven't seen a dead cow in ages. 238 follows the train tracks from Maricopa to Gila Bend. It's a prettier drive than the others and is actually a fun drive, rather than straight-ahead freeway. This will eventually dump you out on the east end of Gila Bend. Make a left and go west through Gila Bend on the main drag (warning - do 35mph just like the signs say!). When you get to the other end of Gila Bend, turn right on 85 south just in front of the McDonalds. This will take you to Ajo, then onto the border, then on to Rocky Point.

This *is* both the shortest and fastest way. I live in Tempe and have tried all the routes at one time or another. Depending on how hard you press the gas pedal and how many stops you make, you can be in Rocky Point in 3.5 hours on this route. I generally drive about 65-75 most of the trip and average under a 4 hour drive time.

PS - Can't help you with the carne asada, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

10 S. to Casa Grande and then across the Res to Quijota ( sp ) Turn right and go to Why Turn left to Sonoita. Shortest and a good road. Lots of Border Patrol trucks to follow if you want to drive that fast. I have seen them going in excess of 90, way to fast for me. I run 65 on the Res even though it is listed as 55.
Don't do as I do do as you feel ok for you.

mis2810

Thanks to you both. Stuart - what's the speed limit on 238? I have quite a heavy foot on the pedal and have been known to make it to PP in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Not smart, but once I'm on the road I just can't wait to get there!!!

We wanted to leave at 5 a.m. so we'd have the whole day, but the wife in the other couple has to go into work in the a.m. until 8:45 - ruined my whole plan!!! LOL

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Technically, the speed limit is 55. But if you're not doing 65, you'll be passed by everybody. The road is kinda chewed up just as you leave Maricopa, but is fine after that.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Regarding carne. Go downtown (centro not malecon) where telmex tower and office is on the same street as Michoacana drink stand on the corner look to the right on that street and you will see Cedasa meats. You can get Carnes para asada as well as prepared pork for pastor.

mis2810

Thanks everybody. Would you happen to know the cross streets of the Telmex Office? When you say "downtown" give me a reference in relation to Pollo Lucas - I will never forget where Pollo Lucas is. I could find that place blind. LOL

JayT

Stuart is spot on with the 238 reco to Gila Bend from Maricopa. It's a prettier and more peaceful drive than I10. Some maps still show the 238 as unmaintained or dirt, but it's fine. Watch the speed traps in Gila Bend, Ajo and Sonoyta and you'll be fine. I've seen a few cops with speed guns lately in Why and a few Park Rangers gunning in Organ Pipe lately too.

B

bahiatrader

It's a nice drive through Organ Pipe. Very picturesque and peaceful lately. I once saw a ton of dust coming off of the desert there. I ask a border patrol guy if we were being invaded by Mexico. He said they were chasing a 4 X 4 Ford pickup around at speeds on the desert in excess of 100 mph. they had a load of marijuana in it. They finally ditched the 4 X 4 and got away on foot. He said they "rabbited". I don't imagine the pickup was registered to them.

Last edited by a moderator: