El Barco oyster farm video

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
You have been there... or you want to go.... or you never heard of it... and after you watch this video you will want to go! Brand new video released this morning Sunday July 5th. It is about the ladies who run the oyster coop South East of Peñasco called el Barco. It is a wonderfully made short film. I have a pretty good idea you will enjoy it as much as Naomi and I.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
You have been there... or you want to go.... or you never heard of it... and after you watch this video you will want to go! Brand new video released this morning Sunday July 5th. It is about the ladies who run the oyster coop South East of Peñasco called el Barco. It is a wonderfully made short film. I have a pretty good idea you will enjoy it as much as Naomi and I.

My wife and I enjoy our daily visit to the estuary to watch the sunset. Pre covid.

Last edited:

dons2346

Didn't make it out there this trip. If I remember, there was something wrong and they weren't harvesting. Oh well, there is next year

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

We just visited for our first time the day before the Boo Bar Poker Run and it was amazing. We didn't get the picturesque photo with a high tide because it was a slack tide that weekend and we went when it was at it's lowest but we'll definitely be back. Not sure how it took 22 years for me to try the oyster farm. The food was great!

richwi

Well Known Member
Our home in Playa Encanto sits where we can look out the front at the ocean and out the rear at the estuary. Although we can’t see this particular oyster farm we can see others. Interesting as can be to watch them work. No one there is making a lot of money but when we talk with them all seem happy this is the life they have chosen. Please support these folks when you are in town.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Our home in Playa Encanto sits where we can look out the front at the ocean and out the rear at the estuary. Although we can’t see this particular oyster farm we can see others. Interesting as can be to watch them work. No one there is making a lot of money but when we talk with them all seem happy this is the life they have chosen. Please support these folks when you are in town.
As a tour guide (well not since March 17 2020) I have taken 100's of people out there and even though some people don't eat oysters...the ladies and helpers and kids make it so enjoyable in a non-touristy way. It is authentic and the families there have become friends. I love going there and I hope soon I can return with new guest. That is why Naomi and I were so excited to see and share this video. I agree support these families when you can...but be assured they won't complain too much if you don't. They are super happy to see you and will make sure that you are well taken care of!

brokenwave

Well Known Member
A different attitude about money in many places around the world.
To many having enough $ to feed your family, splurge on eating out once in awhile and pay your simple bills is more than enough.

I've met dozens of people in Mexico over the years who live this way. Guess what they're happier than most people in the US.

Life gets complicated when you make $100-150k and still can't pay your bills.
Simple life is the easy life as Russ would agree.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
A different attitude about money in many places around the world.
To many having enough $ to feed your family, splurge on eating out once in awhile and pay your simple bills is more than enough.

I've met dozens of people in Mexico over the years who live this way. Guess what they're happier than most people in the US.

Life gets complicated when you make $100-150k and still can't pay your bills.
Simple life is the easy life as Russ would agree.
Yep.....we were rolling in the States and had a ton of income. We didn't have a lot left over after having to pay mortgages (more than 1 because after-all we earned it) plus the new cars, the motor-home, the parties, the event sponsor-ships, the wine clubs........you get it. We jumped off that never ending tread mill in 2007 and adopted a close to the floor way of life. If you live low on the ladder when it tips over....and it does, the closer to the floor you are the less damage will occur to you and your family. We feel very fortunate and extremely happy with our life choice although it bamboozled many of our "wealthy" friends. No more buying on credit, buy what you need not just because you can. I can actually park my old cars in my garage. I haven't worked in tourism since March 17th and we have weathered it pretty good. For my part I am not waking up in the morning worried about how to cover my bills for the month. My wife is happier not working full time in the office. Maybe it's not for everyone, living on a dirt street, living below your means, our newest car is a 2012 we got used, our oldest is an 87 our Suzuki beach toy. We have no regrets but we do have a new outlook on what money and the financial system can do for you or to you. We'll do it this way. Thanks brokenwave I think you get it.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Sure do Russ,
I live in a nice home in Phx area, we drive 2014 and 2017 SUV's all paid for. Only real bill I have is our house payment.
Living in the US is pretty costly when you add up the $400-600 per month utility bills, health insurance $1,800 per month,
car and home insurance $250 month and it goes on.

I could live in my Cholla home for $1,300-1,500 per month, paying for our Mexico trust, taxes, utilities and car insurance
and still live well. Now if I could talk my wife into doing it full time, that's the deal breaker.
I am envious Russ, I bet stress is something for manana.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Sure do Russ,
I live in a nice home in Phx area, we drive 2014 and 2017 SUV's all paid for. Only real bill I have is our house payment.
Living in the US is pretty costly when you add up the $400-600 per month utility bills, health insurance $1,800 per month,
car and home insurance $250 month and it goes on.

I could live in my Cholla home for $1,300-1,500 per month, paying for our Mexico trust, taxes, utilities and car insurance
and still live well. Now if I could talk my wife into doing it full time, that's the deal breaker.
I am envious Russ, I bet stress is something for manana.
We still have stress..its just realigned. I worry about my friends here and how they are doing. I worry how my wife is doing. Our monthly expenses run less than 1000 usd except for travel but includes groceries for two and food donations to Steps of love.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Don't wanna be a dick, but I'm a Maryland boy. You don't eat oysters (East coast, at least, mebbe different in Mexico) in any month without an R in it. Too toxic during May, June, July, August. We are talking filter feeders here and the water is simply too warm.

TICO-T

Well Known Member
It has been my understanding that you can only get fresh shrimp in the months with an R in it. Didn't know about the oysters but it makes sense.

audsley

Well Known Member
Since many of us like to visit RP in May or June, I decided to research this oyster safety business online, giving special attention to Louisiana where I first got serious about oysters. Here's what I found.

Raw oysters are a bit of a gamble any time, but more so when the waters are warm in spring and summer. The culprit is one of several strains of Vibrio, a bacteria that thrives in warm water and can also enter your body through a cut or scrape. Vibrio collects in all shellfish species, so eating uncooked shrimp or clams when the water is warm isn't a good idea either.

In the states there are testing procedures that should screen out infected lots of commercially harvested oysters. I would not expect that at the more informally run oyster farms in Mexico. But if you're in RP in May or June and have a hankering for some grilled oysters, you can do it safely if the oysters are cooked well enough. I once had some at the women's cooperative in late June and they were fine.

According to our government, oysters are safe if cooked using any of the following methods:

Boiling for three minutes

Frying in oil at 375 for three minutes

Broiling at 3 inches above the heat source for three minutes

Baking at 450 for 10 minutes

So next time you're in RP, regardless of the season, head on out there and get yourself some oysters. If they were making people sick, I'm sure word would get around.

Here's my source for the cooking protocol.

Roberto

Well Known Member
We used to get oysters 1 time a year back in the hills of Pa. Do not remember the month. There was a store in town that took orders and made an annual trip to bring a load back. Prolly to the Chesapeake Bay. You had to get your order in early, maybe ever your own ice chest. ! There was always a long line at his store when he arrived back in town with his pickup loaded. I do remember Oyster stew though. It was one of my Dad's favorite meals. I have been thinking about that stew for some time. If I had Moms recipe I would try it. They were cooked in a white creamy sauce. It really was the best thing she cooked.

Landshark

Well Known Member
We shuck them leaving the oyster in the lower shell, add a scampi sauce to the shell along with lime, cilantro, sliced chili, and grated cheese. Sometimes spinach if we have some. Then slowly grill them over a charcoal fire with wood smoke until they simmer for about 15 minutes being careful they don’t dry out. Great for an appetizer of a meal if you make enough.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Do you pour off the liquid from inside the shell or mix it in? How do you get all of that stuff in half an oyster shell??Big oyster??

Roberto

Well Known Member
I have often wondered here why so little of a variety of seafood is prepared. Coconut shrimp, breaded shrimp, etc. etc. There are some really fabulous asian seafood preparations and I think you can find all the seafood you want. I love octopus but you rarely find that. How do you prepare geoduck ?? Jellyfish??