el desconocido

jerry

My friend caught a bunch of 1 to 2 foot long rock bass type fish with a pointed nose and spots on head the locals call "el desconocido ". they started showing up 4 years ago. anyone catch any? Will put up some pictures tomorrow.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'll have to see the pic, but this sounds like another name for gold-spotted bass (aka "stranger fish") as desconocido translates to "unknown" or "stranger." Commonly, that's what they call gold-spots. They are rock bass looking and generally spotted all over the head.

I'll bet ya a peso! :puff:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I'll have to see the pic, but this sounds like another name for gold-spotted bass (aka "stranger fish") as desconocido translates to "unknown" or "stranger." Commonly, that's what they call gold-spots. They are rock bass looking and generally spotted all over the head.

I'll bet ya a peso! :puff:

I know Jerry's buddy Matt has caught Gold Spots before so I think he knows what those are but I guess I could be assuming.

dmcauley

El desconocido is exactly what it says, an unknown species. An estranjero is a diferent species altogether.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
. I think our translation skills need some work at Santo Tomas! Trying to get photo from my crummy phone...

Jerry put aside working on the translation skills and work on your computer technology skills! I used to post higher quality photos than that in 1997!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well... based on that picture, they shall indeed remain as "unknown" fishies! :puff: