Electronics

I know this is going to get varied answers but I need some input.

What do I need for electronics for the boat ?
Cell phone,Radios, Depth finder with chart plot etc. I do not have a lot of dollars and need to stay in a $1200.00 to $ 1500.00 total range but I also do want quality and display width.

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That's a limited budget, but it can be done if you're willing to compromise a bit. Just don't expect the best. At minimum, you need:

1) Fixed mount VHF radio - ICOM makes a decent radio at a good price. I prefer and have Standard Horizon. You can get something good brand new for about $200. Figure on another $60-$100 for the antenna. Shakespeare Centennial VHF antennas are pretty hard to beat for around $65. You'll need to buy a mount for it, too, and probably want the rachet type (lets you lay the antenna down when needed), depending on where you physically plan to mount the antenna. The highest point on your boat is the best place to mount it for longest range and reception, since VHF is pretty much line of sight. Cholla Bay runs a repeater on Channel 26 which really helps boost your VHF range.

2) Handheld VHF radio as a backup - Again, ICOM or West Marine around $100 or so. I use a Standard Horizon handheld. have had it for 10 years and it's bullet-proof, except when I forget to recharge it! (Duh on me!)

3) Fishfinder/Depthfinder - Don't skimp here. You need something that's at least 500-600 watts RMS peak, dual frequency 50/200khz, and a good transducer. One that was designed with offshore use in mind, not a little Garmin that was designed for lake or bass fishing. On my old boat, I previously had a Raymarine unit (about $600) and it was fantastic. I currently have a Furuno unit and it is good, too. Figure on spending $500-700 for something decent if you buy new.

4) GPS - I have a fixed mount chartplotter/GPS and a handheld GPS as backup. I typically use both when fishing. The handheld has better accuracy (more levels of zoom, actually) than the fixed mount unit. Go figure. You can get by with whatever you can afford here. My old boat had a small Garmin fixed mount GPS unit and it was great. However, it didn't have any chartplotting capability. Chartplotting ability buys you the ability to see all your waypoints in relation to one another. You can move the cursor to a way point and immediately know how far you currently are from it and what heading to follow to get there. My small handheld Garmin 76 even has this capability. On my dash, I have a Standard Horizon CP1000C, which is a fully bright, daylight viewable color 10 inch screen. I use it constantly when I'm underway, primarily in Highway mode. You pick a waypoint, hit GoTo, then switch to Highway mode and drive between the lines on the display. With fuel prices rising, this is invaluable to staying on course and traveling the shortest distance between point A and point B. Otherwise, you can wander all over the ocean. The Navigation display is also valuable, as it shows your ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival - important if you're trying to time your arrival with the tides), current speed, course and other important info. The cost of good GPS/Chartplotter units has come down substantially. Mine retails around $2000, but you can get something good in the $500-995 range. If you can live with grayscale rather that color, this Garmin unit is a decent buy under $400.
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=156544F

This Standard Horizon is very good, 7" display, color and super functionality, but it's nearly $900. http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=160457F

Shop around a bit and try to narrow down on what you feel you need. You can get by with something cheaper, but you'll appreciate some of the features and viewability (especially with eyes that are getting older) of a bigger, color screen.

Cellphone? Can be good, too. I've gotten signal on mine out to 20 miles or so. But, you have to have someone to call locally if you need help out there.

For best prices, check Ebay. You can get some good deals on new, non-current model stuff, or gently used equipmment. Use Google, too, to compare prices once you've decided on the specific models you want.

Hope this helps!
Stuart

Re: Electronics REPLY

Hi Stuart
Great reply. I have a couple of questions.
1. Your answer reads that you like the chart plotter and the fish finder to be two individual units. ??

The new CP 300i is available from Star Marine for $ 699.95 and it has an internal antena..You can add an FF250 sonar for an additional 269.99. The CP300i will also input Radar. There is no reference to a need for a transducer or what one to use. Do you think any one will work on it ? Your preference ? through the floor or transom mount ?

I already have a hand held GPS so I am ok there. Radios Do you really get more as the price goes up?
Why not two hand held units ?

Don't Worry Be Happy
Thanks Bill

don

Hi Bill,
Sorry I didn't have time to add my thoughts /experiences to your questions before now;
I'd like to add just a bit to Stuarts' reply since I've been adding electronics to my boat. Stu also gave me advice and I'm glad I followed through most of it, just tweaked it for my situation/boat size a bit.

As he said a good VHF is a must. There are radios which have expansion ports which connect to your GPS. In an emergency, simply flip switch and the radio will broadcast an SOS signal with your boats location every 4 minutes while you tend to other duties.

For handhelds I opted for the ICOM M72 radio. A bit more pricey, about 200.00 but it will produce 6 watts of power, and is completely submersible for over 30 minutes at a depth greater than 1 meter. Important considerations if you ever wind up in the drink. I've been told this is the unit the Coast Guard Swimmers use when they jump from choppers.

Combined GPS/Sonar Chartplotting unit:

I opted for this style (Lowrance/Eagle) because I now make a recording of all my trips. While on the water I can review (and I do) what I just went over, or 2 hours prior. The recording shows everything, and by moving the cursor on the screen you get the exact depth of whatever you're reviewing, plus the date, time, GPS LOCATION. Obviously you can fast forward the playback. Federal and State Fisheries/Law Enforcement and University Fishery/Geology Depts. find this bathymetric data invaluable. I can then plot this data on a paper map. Lowrance and Eagle also offer a service of helping you decipher a recording if needed. If you like, I can PM you a small file of actual data I've recorded. It has definitely helped me find new reefs, esp. when traveling at high speed. As you can guess, I can review the data while on the water, or anywhere I take my unit or have a PC available. Lastly the higher dollar (650.00 plus) Lowrance units also have the capability of measuring your fuel consumption rate which Stu had mentioned on his other post about how not to get stranded.

I did use Ebay to purchase my unit, just make sure you get a Valid warranty which STARTS from the day you bought the unit! (You cannot get one from a private non retail seller).

I also have mounted a backup GPS/Sonar unit on the boat. I'd hate to be out 20/50 miles and have something happen to my unit, and not be able to fish. Huge waste of $! Just make sure your frequencies are compatible (or just run one sonar at a time) or you'll get rabbit tracks on your screen (not a big deal).

I do carry a handeld unit on the boat, just make sure its a good unit, and it'll zoom in close, within 20 feet on the screen. So far I've not had to use my handheld, but its there in case I need it.

As far as navigating, I simply overlay navigation data on my screen so navigating is simple. Lastly, as I'm approaching a reef, I only have to look at one screen.

BTW all my units will zoom down to 20 feet on the screen.

Radar is nice if you have a tall superstructure and are looking for diving birds, weather or other vessels.

Transducer types and locations:
"Shoot through hull" are nice because they're protected, but you'll suffer from not being able to get a water temp. reading and you will suffer from some signal degradation, not to mention that on some boats you've got to mount it where you'll have no bubble noise.

"Through hull mounting" is nice, almost no chance of noise, but a finality once you've drilled through your hull. The problem with this mounting style is its got to be level with the keel and parallel to the bottom, so most mount it on the keel. The problem you may run into is it will create turbulence which can cause prop burning. Lastly, make sure it clears your boat rollers.

Stern mounting, though not as "clean" as the other styles allows you to mount your transducer off to one side, clear of outdrive/prop path. The problem is, it can get kicked up on an object strike. In my 30 + years of boating I've only once damaged my stern mounted bracket. A guy on the forum had a unique experience with sea life and his stern mounted transducer.

I noticed you didn't mention a compass. I'm assuming you already have a good compass mounted on your console.

Hope this helps,
Don

B

bahiatrader

I believe Don was talking about when a dolphin came up behind me and popped the transducer out of the mount with it's nose. I was amazed! I assumed it was getting the sonar signals and maybe was curious. I later read that dolphins and whales are sensitive to such things. I just took to shutting my sonar off when I was around dolphins and whales. I don't think I'd like Moby Dick coming up and nudging the back of my boat.

don

You're correct Robert!

Love your comment about Moby Dick :lol: " 'Course that'd be one way to get back to RP! Just got'ta' keep him happy, throw him a mack once in a while!"
:boat: :fish:

I forgot to add the Emergency calling feature will ONLY work with other vessels that are set up to receive that kind of message, or obviously the Coast Guard. No Coast Guard in Mexico, I wonder if the Mexican Navy can receive such a signal, or what it would cost to get such a radio for RP? I'll look into it.

BTW, when this emergency feature on the radio is activated, it will broadcast the signal at 25 watts.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Bill - I prefer separate GPS and sonar units for a couple reasons: If a combo unit goes out, your screwed for both functions. If my main GPS goes out, I've still got my handheld GPS. Sonar is critical to setting up on reefs. Unfortunately, if that goes out, I have no back up and will have to rely on just my GPS marks, which I know are accurate, but I still like to see the bottom to know I'm set up in just the right spot.

My other thought (probably unfounded) has always been that combo units that do multiple tasks probably don't do all the tasks, or do them as well, as unit dedicated to strictly that function.

Internal antennas are okay. If you have a top on the boat, it could impair it. I have an external on my T-top. But, my handheld is internal and seems to pick up okay under the T-top.

Transducers: The unit will may come with one, but check to be certain. If not, Airmar is the only way to go - they make superb transducers of all types. I'm with the rest of the gang here - go with a transom mount set-up.