Encanto Internet Services

ron

Well Known Member
I know this is an old thread but what is the latest word on the best internet service for the Playa Encanto Area. Any help would be appreciated, service, names, phone numbers, etc.

Estero

Well Known Member
I know this is an old thread but what is the latest word on the best internet service for the Playa Encanto Area. Any help would be appreciated, service, names, phone numbers, etc.
Hi Ron there is also Satellite Internet access which I have had since 2012 and it has been great. We at Penascohandyman.com sell, install and service Satellite Internet in Penasco and other areas of Sonora. Up to 25 Megabit download speeds and you also get a U.S. IP address. We'll be doing installs in Los Conchas next weekend so if you are interested in more info please let me know.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Estero, what are the financial details? Installation and use fee? Do you have a system up and running in Unconscious that could be demoed for a potential subscriber?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Estero, what are the financial details? Installation and use fee? Do you have a system up and running in Unconscious that could be demoed for a potential subscriber?
Here is the link for Excede, which is what Estero installs. His charges may be different. Just a guideline until he responds. I looked at it, but we stream movies/Netflix, the data caps were limiting for my situation.
http://directexede.com/?id=3&kbid=90583

Estero

Well Known Member
Hey stranger how ya doing? There are a few different plans that start at $49.99 a month and go to $99.00 a month. Only upfront cost is $250 for Ramses to do the install. There are a lot of installs in Unconcious as well as at Max's Cafe.

Estero

Well Known Member
Here is the link for Excede, which is what Estero installs. His charges may be different. Just a guideline until he responds. I looked at it, but we stream movies/Netflix, the data caps were limiting for my situation.
http://directexede.com/?id=3&kbid=90583
The plans at that link are for an older Satellite that is still in use. The plan I have as well as the plan that is suggested for heavy users is the Freedom plan which gives you up to 25 megs down and 150 gigs of data a month. You can also buy more data if you go over the 150 gigs which honestly I have never seen happen. On holiday weekends I have had significant amounts of people on our system and we still did not go over the data limits. Although I did have to block a teenager who had brought his Sony playstation down and was gaming and had used over 15 gigs in 3 days. Told the kid to hit the beach...no mas gaming. :swack:

brokenwave

Well Known Member
I too would be concerned with data caps, what service do you use?
I'm currently using a mobile hot spot from my phone with T-mobile. Last trip down I got a notice I was abusing my data service only allowed to use 50% of my data in Mexico.

I am looking at TelMex because, I've seen that they are offering speeds of 10, 20, 40 50 and 100mbs.

Anyone done a speed test, to see if TelMex's speed increase is real?

Estero

Well Known Member
What amount of data put you over the 50% threshold? I believe their plans cap out at 32 gigs a month so you had to have used over 16 gigs in Mexico.

If you are very close to a Telmex central office in town then MAYBE you might get close to those advertised speeds and that is a BIG maybe. I have said before that I have Telmex at a house in town as well as Megacable and they both are not stable (wind blows and slaps cables on the poles and problems occur) and the advertised speeds are not what they claim at all and their customer service, especially Megacable is dismal at best. The DSL tech that Telmex uses has distance limitations of roughly 22,000 feet over a twisted copper pair. The further you are away from a central office the more degradation in speed. In town, some businesses can get good speeds as well as some neighborhoods but again the farther one is from a central office the speed and reliability diminish rapidly.

I am currently at my house in Tijuana and just ran a speed test for the first time, results below. I have Telnor DSL here and I am supposed to be getting 20 MB down and that isn't happening and I can't remember what the upload is supposed to be but surely it should be better than the test results. Granted these online tests are questionable as to accuracy due to a number of factors..

Roberto

Well Known Member
Tell me a little about what needs to be installed on location, porfa. There is a tall pole up the beach in sec. 5, near about lot 10, that I think might be one of yours.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
What amount of data put you over the 50% threshold? I believe their plans cap out at 32 gigs a month so you had to have used over 16 gigs in Mexico.

If you are very close to a Telmex central office in town then MAYBE you might get close to those advertised speeds and that is a BIG maybe. I have said before that I have Telmex at a house in town as well as Megacable and they both are not stable (wind blows and slaps cables on the poles and problems occur) and the advertised speeds are not what they claim at all and their customer service, especially Megacable is dismal at best. The DSL tech that Telmex uses has distance limitations of roughly 22,000 feet over a twisted copper pair. The further you are away from a central office the more degradation in speed. In town, some businesses can get good speeds as well as some neighborhoods but again the farther one is from a central office the speed and reliability diminish rapidly.

I am currently at my house in Tijuana and just ran a speed test for the first time, results below. I have Telnor DSL here and I am supposed to be getting 20 MB down and that isn't happening and I can't remember what the upload is supposed to be but surely it should be better than the test results. Granted these online tests are questionable as to accuracy due to a number of factors..

Thanks, Great description to the problem with DSL. Your up speeds should be close to 1/2 of the down speed. The faster your up speed is, the better your browsing experience will be.

Does TelMex in Penasco support ADSL 24mbs, ADSL+ 30-40mbs? or VDSL 50-60mbs
Based on TelMex's web page they should with listed speeds of 10-100mbs (maybe not in RP yet)

I recently switched from cable internet to VDSL from Century Link here in Phx.
and are getting really close to the advertised speeds of 60mbs down and 30mbs up. Amazingly over copper phone lines, I'm 3 blocks away from a panel.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
Roberto,we have the satellite system in Las Conchas and love it! Usually runs in the mid teens downloading.
Since we often work a few days on our trips down, just having something reliable for internet emails and calling are a blessing.
We have outlawed all streaming and gaming with our partners so data is available for all our partners for the whole month

Roberto

Well Known Member
W
Roberto,we have the satellite system in Las Conchas and love it! Usually runs in the mid teens downloading.
Since we often work a few days on our trips down, just having something reliable for internet emails and calling are a blessing.
We have outlawed all streaming and gaming with our partners so data is available for all our partners for the whole month

Gracias. What do you mean by partners ?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Quote "We have outlawed all streaming and gaming with our partners so data is available for all our partners for the whole month"

Sounds like there are other fractional owners involved and everyone shares the internet service. The data cap would be exceeded if streaming was happening.
After you hit the data cap you get really slow data speeds. 128k.

Estero

Well Known Member
Thanks, Great description to the problem with DSL. Your up speeds should be close to 1/2 of the down speed. The faster your up speed is, the better your browsing experience will be.

Does TelMex in Penasco support ADSL 24mbs, ADSL+ 30-40mbs? or VDSL 50-60mbs
Based on TelMex's web page they should with listed speeds of 10-100mbs (maybe not in RP yet)

I recently switched from cable internet to VDSL from Century Link here in Phx.
and are getting really close to the advertised speeds of 60mbs down and 30mbs up. Amazingly over copper phone lines, I'm 3 blocks away from a panel.
I suspect that at some point Telmex in Penasco will upgrade to the newer DSL tech but who knows when. They will need to add more central offices like neighborhoods in the U.S. have to combat the distance limitations. These newer DSL technologies are good but will always struggle against fiber and coax. Pushing larger and larger amounts of data over a twisted copper pair is like shoving a bowling ball down a garden hose.

Quote "We have outlawed all streaming and gaming with our partners so data is available for all our partners for the whole month"
After you hit the data cap you get really slow data speeds. 128k.
If data caps are hit there MAY be a slowdown of a few gigs on the newer satellite. There are different plans for the three main satellites and none of them slow the speed to 128k once data caps are met.