English language talk radio in RP

Hi all, I haven't been around much but want to let you know that the for the first time we have talk radio in English in Rocky Point. Our first show was last Saturday and we'll be on every Saturday from 12pm-2pm. The format is a radio version of the Rocky Point Ramblings (for those of you familiar with my column). My co-host most weeks is Javier Nieto. I've asked MexicoRuss to fill in when Javi is out of town. If you can, please listen in and if you like it, then take a minute to send an email so that the powers that be can see that this is a good move.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I saw the announcement last night on Facebook and ask them if thet would have internet streaming and they answered and said they were working on it. Is it set up already?

The station manager tells me he wants to fix a few problems with inconsistent internet connections before he launches the live streaming. It should be soon, though.

Thank you, Jeeps! It's the radio station that is on Fremont, across from Estela Hernandez' office. If we run out of things to talk about (not likely) we can just spy on her. Hope you guys will listen in and send feedback!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Hi all, I haven't been around much but want to let you know that the for the first time we have talk radio in English in Rocky Point. Our first show was last Saturday and we'll be on every Saturday from 12pm-2pm. The format is a radio version of the Rocky Point Ramblings (for those of you familiar with my column). My co-host most weeks is Javier Nieto. I've asked MexicoRuss to fill in when Javi is out of town. If you can, please listen in and if you like it, then take a minute to send an email so that the powers that be can see that this is a good move.
Why would you use a dork like Russ?

Certain types of dorkiness can be quite endearing. By the way...you're on. I need you there by 11:45am on Saturday. Can you make it?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ooohhhhhh.......get the internet streaming up! I wanna hear and I won't be there until the 11th!!!!!!!

Esperanza

We'll be listening this weekend. We always listen to that station. We were in PP the weekend of 10/23 and I know I heard an "English" broadcast....They said it was slated for every Saturday from 12-2. Was that you?

I think thats great....Because Im a partner in a radio station here I looked in to trying to get a license to operate a station in RP with the intention of doing classic rock and english commercials to promote the local buksinesses to the tourist but found out that wasnt going to be a possibility for me because of the government regulations. Best of luck. Blaine

You know darn well if they have a "call-in" it will become a bitching session....with the age group of many of the gringo residents of Penasco....:moon::stir:
No bitch sessions allowed...the only bitch on this radio shall be me. Hahaha...and quit calling those in my...I mean OUR age group old. No call-ins yet. For now, we're taking calls while off-mike and text messages and then relaying those or reading them online. We've gotten nothing but good marks so far, no complaints (give 'em time).

We'll be listening this weekend. We always listen to that station. We were in PP the weekend of 10/23 and I know I heard an "English" broadcast....They said it was slated for every Saturday from 12-2. Was that you?
Hi Esperanza, that week it wasn't me. They started with a couple of employees of the station who speak a little English. It quickly became evident that this requires more of a command of the language and familiarity with the folks we're talking to. I was recommended by a friend, and on Friday the 29th I was told that I'd be on the air the next day. I grabbed me a co-host and we were off. They originally asked me to suggest two different formats for a show. One was a more serious talk show discussing current events. The other was my Rocky Point Ramblings...light banter, information, some news highlights and shout-outs to the listeners with a scattering of music. As time goes on we might introduce some contests and promotions.

We'll need people who like the show to let the station know they like it. I hope they don't keep insisting on choosing the music for me, because I think you guys would like my choices...we'll see.

I think thats great....Because Im a partner in a radio station here I looked in to trying to get a license to operate a station in RP with the intention of doing classic rock and english commercials to promote the local buksinesses to the tourist but found out that wasnt going to be a possibility for me because of the government regulations. Best of luck. Blaine
Ooh, I propose that next time you're in town, if you have a minute maybe we can go over and you can help me convince these guys what kind of music is best for us American "baby boomers". What do you say?