Essential Paperwork for Taking Boat Into Mexico

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I thought I'd make a new thread to help get more attention and information regarding what I need to take the boat into Mexico. I'm now realizing that this is going to be a shit show because my passport is expired and I need that for TIP, FMM and Mexican Fishing License.

So my questions are:
  1. How/Where do I obtain Temporary Import Permit? Anything to note, difficulty, turn-around time???
  2. Mexican Fishing License (2)
  3. FMM Tourist Visa (I don't understand this but apparently it's needed in Mexican waters)
Is there anything else that I'm legally required to carry on the boat? I'm really not trying to go to jail and have the boat confiscated.

Also, can any of these services be done online?

I think I just realized that the boat isn't going to Mexico anytime soon. I will have to renew my American Passport just to get those Mexican legal documents that are required. Fuck!!!

Unless anyone thinks that I can use an expired passport but I read negativo!!!

Kelney

Yes, here are some links

1 - Importación Temporal de Vehículos (banjercito.com.mx) - I am not sure how picky the Sonoita border is about the TIP. I got one for my boat when I took it to San Carlos where it is mandatory. I showed it to the Sonoita border folks and they had a deer in the headlights look when I showed it to them. I think a simple registration would suffice since you are in the no hassle zone. Don't quote me on this though as my boat has been in Mexico for the last 10 years!
2 - Mexican Fishing License (discoverbaja.com) - I was always super paranoid about this but less so over the years as I have never been stopped or asked about one.
3 - Never heard that this is needed. I don't think this is necessary as you are in the no hassle zone. Yes, if you go to San Carlos.

Sooooooooooooo Joe.......

The first thing you might want to do is call the Vagabundos Del Mar Boat & Travel Club in California at 707-374-5511 or 800-474-BAJA.

I've been a member for thirty years or more. I have all of my vehicles (4) insured with them for Mex and my boat as well.

With them you can get your FMM on the phone in a day or so. Boat and 4x4's in a day or so. Mex fish license too.

The TIP for your boat will be good for ten years. They will get that for you as well. After getting it and a FMM in hand all you do is stop at the aduana office at Sonoyta, Nogales, San Luis, Algodnes, Mexicali or TJ for them to verify it and you will be on your way.

Once you have it you just need to point to it on your boat windshield and they wave you on. Rarely they will board the boat looking for no-no's, be prepared as they won't take any shit if they find Mr. Smith & Wesson in your tackle box. Twelve gauge flares are a standard problem but if you keep them in the original unopened box they seem OK with it. Don't try to fire a real 12 gauge shell with that plastic pistol as you just might be missing su mano and part of your cabeza.

As for fishing around the Coronado Islands it is for sure in Mexican waters where you do need a Mexican fishing license, if a Mexican LEO decides to venture out there since the nearest port is Ensenada. If they do get you be prepared to spent the night in a shit hole jail in Ensenada until they figure out how to fleece the living shit out of you and your passengers. You will probably have to say adios to your little gem as the adaunas there are always in need of a new sport cruizer.

Dealing with the Kali-Fornicators is a whole nuther nightmare of full blown dog shit. First you need a Kali-Fornicator fishing license even though you didn't catch your fish there. Last I looked, an out of state license was almost one hundred bucks for Zonies. If you launch and enter Mexican waters you will need to go the the US Customs dock upon return to FUSA at Point Loma for inspection. If not I suppose the Coast Guard will blow you out of the water as you head back to where-ever you launched from.

The Coronado's have been totally fished out for forty years now so in my opinion it will be a total waste of time. You will do much better hunting for kelp paddies that will more likely be holding lunker Yellowtail this time of the year. You might get hit by a wayward Dorado, Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna or a mixed up old alfa male Albacore as I got a fat lunker a few years back that weighed in at forty five pounds.

A good source for the grouper spots out from PP is the little book titled The Secrets of Super Grouper by Wally Schmerfeld. He published it in 1993 and is long gone to the Grouper Killer heaven above. I have a copy as I used to publish it and sell it to the dive and fishing shops in PP years ago.

He has excellent locations of all the offshore rock piles by Dead Reconing, Loran and GPS. I was lucky to know him back in the day. Fished and Scuba with him out there too. His Cholla Bay buddy T-Shirt Bob sold the book too. Long gone to the beer bar in the sky too.

Some of the old time tackle shops in PHX might still sell them.

Later Joe,

Doing some beer battered PP flat fish tonight.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
2nd on Vagabundos. Was a member for years. Also 2nd on the TIP. You don’t need it for Rocky Point, only San Carlos and further south. You can get a fishing license in town at city hall. Vagabundos is easier, though.

The TIP is not bad to have, though. We got inspected by the Mex Navy one day about 20 miles out. Gave the Capt. our fishing licenses, he didn't want them or even care. Gave him the TIP and he was happy because it had all the info on it he needed for his inspection log. Think of it as a Mexican registration for your boat. I would get mine at the 21km stop south of Nogales. I assume you can get one in Sonoita, but as you know, cluster F there. I did get a vehicle import sticker there for a Baja trip one year and that was pure hassle.

There used to be an official Mexican Boat Permit requirement, but that went away years ago.

You can also get your fishing license at Aaron Brown‘s office the yellow building on the west side at the Y just before the store if they aren’t there get a hold of Villa he’ll call him in a come right down and get your fishing license for you by the day month or year

If the inspectors down there at the launch ramp Villa won’t launch you do have to have a fishing license I ran into that problem in June he’s inspecting the boats being launched even the pangas I kind of doubt he’ll be standing in this time of the year too hot and humid

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
So essentially what I'm understanding is that if I have AZ registration on the boat and a Mexican fishing license we're good to take the boat to RP???? If Sonoyta won't ask for TIP and I don't need FMM to travel to RP then all I would need is 2 Mexican Fishing Licenses for us to be legal in RP waters???

I do plan on getting everything so I can be completely assured that I won't ever get into a bind and go to a Mexican jail. We do intend in the future to take this to SD or Baja Norte SOC side. Wayyyyy in the future. So for the immediate future we'd like to get our feet wet in Rocky Point waters.

I'd been putting off renewing my American Passport because I'm lazy with things I don't really care about and the Americans haven't been saying anything... but now that I know I will need it to get FMM and TIP I'll have to start the renewal process.

Thanks again for all of the great information.

And JJ, I disagree with you. Bloody Decks and YouTube both disagree with you. SD waters have been on fire the last 2 years. I watch more Youtube than I'd like to admit and I follow a number of SD fishermen that are limiting every time out on YT and BF right out in front of La Jolla and further out for the BF FOAMERS absolutely crushing bait on top. The NADOS as you say are WIDE OPEN right now... So just from what I read and see with my own eyes, I disagree. Respectfully of course!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Yes, here are some links

1 - Importación Temporal de Vehículos (banjercito.com.mx) - I am not sure how picky the Sonoita border is about the TIP. I got one for my boat when I took it to San Carlos where it is mandatory. I showed it to the Sonoita border folks and they had a deer in the headlights look when I showed it to them. I think a simple registration would suffice since you are in the no hassle zone. Don't quote me on this though as my boat has been in Mexico for the last 10 years!
2 - Mexican Fishing License (discoverbaja.com) - I was always super paranoid about this but less so over the years as I have never been stopped or asked about one.
3 - Never heard that this is needed. I don't think this is necessary as you are in the no hassle zone. Yes, if you go to San Carlos.
The 4 years I owned the jet ski I was super paranoid as well because I was too lazy to go buy one in person while in town so I went those years without a Mexican Fishing License. They weren't required to kayak/shore fish and jet ski is kind of grey area in my opinion but I always went with the motto, motor=license. There were a few times out when I saw the Mexican Navy cuttter and I would start getting paranoid. Of course the weed that I smoke doesn't help with that...

Old55

So essentially what I'm understanding is that if I have AZ registration on the boat and a Mexican fishing license we're good to take the boat to RP???? If Sonoyta won't ask for TIP and I don't need FMM to travel to RP then all I would need is 2 Mexican Fishing Licenses for us to be legal in RP waters???

I do plan on getting everything so I can be completely assured that I won't ever get into a bind and go to a Mexican jail. We do intend in the future to take this to SD or Baja Norte SOC side. Wayyyyy in the future. So for the immediate future we'd like to get our feet wet in Rocky Point waters.

I'd been putting off renewing my American Passport because I'm lazy with things I don't really care about and the Americans haven't been saying anything... but now that I know I will need it to get FMM and TIP I'll have to start the renewal process.

Thanks again for all of the great information.

And JJ, I disagree with you. Bloody Decks and YouTube both disagree with you. SD waters have been on fire the last 2 years. I watch more Youtube than I'd like to admit and I follow a number of SD fishermen that are limiting every time out on YT and BF right out in front of La Jolla and further out for the BF FOAMERS absolutely crushing bait on top. The NADOS as you say are WIDE OPEN right now... So just from what I read and see with my own eyes, I disagree. Respectfully of course!
. https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/28/californias-fish-population-rebounds-thanks-to-strict-fishing-rules/. Government can actually work….saved the fishing in South Carolina and if they ban the big cruise ships the Keys will recover too..