Fast drift and lockjaw on grouper

Went out Sat, 24miles out drift was extremely fast 1.2 mph, put out a drift sock it helped very little, Sandy caught a 8 lb pinta and that was all that was caught Sat , Sunday went out to some closer reefs and anchored, put out somew chum, at 9:20 A.M. Sandy hooked a fish, She was having a hard time so I helped out, I could tell it was a big fish since it was taking line on a reel that just does not let line out, at least with a 65 lb after a few minutes it came up and I thought it weighed between 70 to 75 lbs when we got back to the marina the tournament people weighed it and it came up to 86.9 lbs, had a great time Sandy won a reel and rod and 2 free nights at some hotel everyone was very friendly and the beer was reel cold, saw Scott , Doug and Dan out there, Scott and Doug did real well on Sat and so did Dan, :-D

Attachments

dmcauley

Sorry, I saw him out at the reef so I congratulated him first. All kidding aside it was tough fishing. Scott and Doug did real well as can be expected but even fishing close to all of them all we had was a breakoff on Sunday. Saturday we bagged one grouper very early and that was it. Lockjaw and fast drift for sure. Stu did real well on Sat on the deeper reefs as he was not hunting grouper. Fantastic job Art, Sandy,Doug, Scott and Dave. Nothing less was expected.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Congrats!

Congrats, Sandy! Art - don't ya hate it when you get outfished by your wife? Hahaha! Connie *always* does that to me!! Told her I'm gonna make her walk the plank one of these days! Actually, I'm very proud of her (as I'm sure you are of Sandy) - she can hang with the best fishermen I know.

Countdown to Mazatlan - 3 weeks! Oh yeah! 3 solid days of big game trolling and I don't have to be the captain for a change! Can't wait! Of course, Connie will outfish me there, too! :-D

Good job there Art you were at the right spot at right time with that one. Let me know next time you are headed down see if we can hook up

That sounds like you are going to have a blast, its going to be nice to have someone else skipper the boat, and all you have to do is catch the fish, hope you have a great trip

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Very Nice fish...

Congrats Sandy!

I'm planning to be on the water next Sunday. With all the tournament action, I wonder if the 22 mile reef has been completely picked over... maybe I'll be spending the day trolling for surface fish.

dmcauley

Theres not enough sports fisherman to "pick over" the ocean in Penasco. We left some big ones for you Robert. Tight lines!