FIBERGLASS BOAT HOW TO INCREASE THE DEPTH

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
I have another fiberglass boat that I want to deepen by 6 or 8 inches. My question have any of you done this and can provide me a how to ? Others do any of you have any ideas ? My thought is to take the top decking off and taper the inside and outside of the existing fiberglass. Then use thin wood with wax paper, held on the inside at the height I want. Do enough layers to match the existing hull. Remove the wood and add another layer on the inside. Finish and replace the deck , finish the re attachment with several layers of fiberglass. Sand , prep for finish and paint.
Thanks for any help or thoughts. Bill

azdiva

Well Known Member
Boats like this are like Kittens..."Free to Good Home" Run don't walk from this project!

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Doing like I said and it is going fine. I decided it was deep enough but raised the transom 7 in. Deck removal very easy and doing a new 3 1/2 interior drop edge was a little tough.
Looking good now and I will post picks later.

If you are doing any fiberglass work and need thickener go to Amazon 1 qt about 6 bucks but the same material in 5 qt is about $ 18.00. I get mine tomorrow so I can go back to work on finishing the glass work