Fire Works Accident at Sonoran Spa

azfish

Are these the only places that dont take insurance? Or are we talking about a deductible?
My buddy told me about the red cross place dont know the name of it, bad news. He needed stitches and they tried using a rusty unsanitary needle, he told them to stop, said Ill find some where else, they did nothing for him and called the cops to make sure he paid before he leaves (shake down).
In the mean time his back of the leg is hanging half on, bleeding real bad. But the doctors or cops dont care, they want that U.S. green back.
Its just like when someone shop lifts the cost of merchandise goes up, every time an illegal immigrant goes to a U.S. hospital and gets treated and doesnt pay, who flips for that bill, the insurance company, than they charge us more for our policy.
Mexico has a good point, have a cop at every U.S. hospital if you cant pay you go to jail.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Az, the name of the "red cross" place is the Red Cross only in spanish Cruz Roja it is mostly volunteer, just like our Red Cross, I think your buddy is b,s,'n you. The 2 times I went to the Cruz Roja, once in San Felipe when I fell off the boulders that surround the marina, there was no charge but you can give a donation. The second time was in RP and again no charge only a donation if you want to. The doctors that I met there were from different parts of Mexico and also volunteers. Thats why when I see them in town collecting money I always donate something. If its like before they dont even have invoices and I just dont believe they would call the cops or use a rusty needles. (they may not even give injections)

Last edited:

dmcauley

The reason I say stay home then, is because of your fears. Ya' right, rusty needle, even tho' most everything they use is donated and needles are made of stainless.
Sorry for those kids but where was thwe adult supervision? These sound like really irresponsible people or maybe they were too busy doing tequila shots.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
In the 20 years going down to RP I had to use the Cruz Roja/Red Cross twice, and in both instances there was no charges at all and as Lagrimas say they will take your donation instead, the first time they did remind me of the donation, 18 years ago, and the second time they did not even mention it however I did donate, that was about 10 years ago, in my travels I had the chance to use the Red Cross in a couple of countries (en Europa y Sudamerica) and they did not charged either, so if anybody tells you otherwise they are not telling you the truth!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Also 18 years ago Fabiolas son Ricardo got hurt screwing around down at the malecon and was held by the clinic for payment of about $1700.00 dllrs but he is a Mexican citizen so its not just americans. I had Jesus Canteneda, owner of the Bumaye night club pay the bill and he was released. I understand why they hold them, they would go broke because nobody would pay. How would you feel if somebody walked out of your business and you didn't get paid. Try walking out of any business without paying and the cops are going to get involved. Just because it is health care does'nt mean they get their rent, electricity,help, schooling,equipment and water for free.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Back in 94 I was hit by a stingRay, man that thing but the barb in so i hard i thought a shark was bitting my leg, I did not know what i was in for. After being shot
in the knee i thought i could put up with any pain but this was worse..went back to the playa in got my advil and bottle of pisto and nada my family put me in the
bronco and took me the red cross. Young guy came out in a butcher outfit and said soy medico y te voy a ayudar.vente amigo no tengas medio...So i went in and he
asked a few ?'s. Got out a seringe and bottle of something and started filling it half way asked me when it happened? told him about 3 hours ago and said oh no why
did u wait so long, and continued to fill the seringe full. Hit me where that Jodido had bit me and the pain started to go away, man i was relieved asked him what time
they close and he said i was good to go for a couple days said to go buy the strongest ecotine there was and i would be fine. I will always donate to them when i see them parked anywhere. Till u been there you should not give them a bad wrap...

Last edited:
Oh my gosh....I'm actually agreeing with playa.....

The only group that I always donate to when they have the collections on the roads/street. I've never had to use them...just a matter of luck me or my kids haven't been hit by stingrays over the years (even doing the shuffle), but it's good to know they are there.

As for clinics/doctors offices in the states....every one that I've been to in the last couple of years requires payment (either in full for the office visit or your insurance co-pay) BEFORE they see you. It's only Emergnecy Rooms of hospitals that take you no matter if you can pay or not....that's why the hospitals are going broke in some parts of the country!

Last edited:
For future reference is there a number we can contact directly or is it better to contact an official that can make the call? If there is a number can you please post, I will most definitely put that one into the tellcel.
U.S. Consulate contact information:
Phone (from U.S.): 011.52.631.311.8150
Emergencies: 011.521.631.318.0723

Vice Consul/Chief of American Citizen Services: Amon Johnson
Email: nogales [email protected]

[yes, I'm late to the party]

Let's not fight over who's right or wrong here for the hospital visit, we could battle that one for years and never be happy. This thread is about the kids that were injured and should stay that way.

I hope the kids have a speedy recovery and hopefully they learned their lesson ;-) I had a close experience with a firecracker in my eye once as a kid.
Got a message from one of the moms yesterday. Most of the kids have been released from the hospital and are recovering. The boy with the injured arm doesn't seem to be in danger of losing it.

Are these the only places that dont take insurance? Or are we talking about a deductible?
My buddy told me about the red cross place dont know the name of it, bad news. He needed stitches and they tried using a rusty unsanitary needle, he told them to stop, said Ill find some where else, they did nothing for him and called the cops to make sure he paid before he leaves (shake down).
In the mean time his back of the leg is hanging half on, bleeding real bad. But the doctors or cops dont care, they want that U.S. green back.
Its just like when someone shop lifts the cost of merchandise goes up, every time an illegal immigrant goes to a U.S. hospital and gets treated and doesnt pay, who flips for that bill, the insurance company, than they charge us more for our policy.
Mexico has a good point, have a cop at every U.S. hospital if you cant pay you go to jail.
Your Red Cross story is not true. As pointed out by others, they run on donations, and the needles are disposable, new each time. It amazes me how gullible some of you think the rest of us are.

As for the insurance question: Whenever you, as an American, are injured in a foreign country, be prepared to pay the medical costs out of pocket and then submit to your insurance carrier for reimbursement. In most foreign countries you won't find medical service providers who will submit to your U.S. insurance and wait for payment. I find it incredible that Americans would expect that as normal business practice. In Puerto Penasco, doctors and clinics don't even accept Mexican insurance, so locals must also submit to their carriers for reimbursement.

The story from MyFoxNews:

Vacationers in Mexico Hurt in Fireworks Explosion

Kids playing with fireworks get seriously injured

Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 6:20 PM MDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 6:20 PM MDT
ROCKY POINT, MEXICO - Parents are reminded to talk to their kids about explosives, after a spring break explosion in Rocky Point sends five valley teenagers to the hospital.
Those teenage boys were playing with fireworks when the explosion happened. Their injuries so bad they had to be flown back to Phoenix to be treated.
Authorities say the boys were setting off fireworks inside of a condo, which sparked a massive explosion.
That sent pieces of a granite countertop, glasses shards from the bay window, and scrap metal from the dishwasher flying through the air.
"We were on the back patio and we could see the smoke and stuff coming out of there," says Terry Woodward, who was staying at the same resort. He rushed over to help after hearing the explosion.
"Then some lady says 'my babies my babies!'... we just took off running."
The boys, ages 13 to 17, were staying with their parents at the Sonoran spa when it happened. They were rushed to Ajo and flown to Maricopa Medical for surgery.
We don't know their current conditions, but we do know one of them lost a finger. Doctors say they will recover from their injuries -- no doubt learning a tough lesson.

azfish

Say what you will about my buds story, I wasn't there, but why would his wife rush him back to the US to go to the hospital with the calf of his leg hanging off?
I know the damage that happened to him I seen that with my own eyes, and he has never lied to me either. So to each his own.
On another note, are the kids parents going to be charged for negligence?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
wife rush him back to the US to go to the hospital with the calf of his leg hanging off?
Wow, border patrol must have really been shocked to see a calf hanging from someone's leg at the border. sure would be a change from their job of looking for fruits and vegetables being crossed into the states.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
LOL Joe.... I was one of them in my time. I had my first grasshopper in Hector;s at the Playa Hermosa hotel in 1973. I was 15........ Memories......

El Gato

Hector allowed me to have Corona or a really llight rum and coke, never a Margarita - one time some guys were drinking Margarita's a LOT and just after they ordered their last round they all passed out so my aunt took the Margaritas as she didn't want them to go to waste and I had my first one. Hector was really mad at Aunt Betty as he thought Margaritas were way too strong. So I was sent back to my Coronas.

"all of them presented/displayed alcoholic breath".......teenagers drinking in Penasco? Say it ain't so!!!
Take it from me, those kids had not been drinking. A few of the parents had been, though. The Mexican media is as guilty as their American counterparts of over-dramatizing the stories. Some reports said they were lighting the fireworks in the condo...also untrue. They simply wanted to put the powder together to make a bigger bang and didn't realize that the mere friction would be enough to ignite the powder.