Fish Story for May 25th - Lobos

Shawno

We planned to fish both days this past weekend, but it was a little too windy when we woke on Saturday morning. We had heard reports that the deep water bite had turned cold, so Dave, Jeff and I decided to try Lobos instead on Sunday. We left Penasco at 5 am and trailered my 23' Wellcraft "Murphy Girl" 100+ miles south along the coastal highway. The potholes were bigger than I remembered, and it took us about 2 hours to reach the turnoff. Arturo already had one customer ready to launch, so we waited our turn. It was a beautiful morning, sunny with just enough of a breeze to keep the boat moving. We headed straight for the 7 mile reef to try for yellowtail, but they were nowhere to be found. We managed to catch a mixed bag of bonita, goldspot bass, and large sierra mackerel before deciding that it was time to try another spot.

We headed north to try our luck with the grouper. Before long we came upon a huge flock of all kinds of birds just sitting on the water. As we closed in on them with the boat, they flew off and the water surface erupted with bait. It looked like it was raining cats and dogs, but it was sardines busting the surface. There a bunch of pink patches of krill at the surface and billions of small, 4-inch sardines filling their bellies. We all started dropping our sabiki rigs and pretty soon started loading up on 6 to 8 inch mackerel that were just below the sardines. Below the mackerel, we could see huge schools of 2' long barracuda cruising under the boat. Pretty soon we started catching those on sabiki rigs too. Later we saw 2 black manta rays gliding along the surface getting their fill of krill. Dolphins showed up and we even saw a huge sea turtle. There seemed to be so much food in the water. Maybe that is why the yellowtail weren't feeding.

Once our bait tank was full, we headed to our mark and immediately started catching leopard grouper, pintos, and large white sea bass. This bite lasted for about 30 minutes before shutting off completely. Dave and I then started getting break offs, so we switched to heavier gear. Dave put on a big spotted bay bass for bait and before long his rod was doubled over. Dave was doing everything he could to keep the fish from getting into the rocks. Jeff and I waited in anticipation to see what it was that he had on his line as he slowly reeled it in. It was a beautiful 70 pound gulf grouper. It popped to the surface and we all celebrated and took photos. It was amazing experience, but the bite was pretty slow for the rest of the day . We managed to catch 1 yellowtail along with more goldspot bass and bonita, but that was it.
IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG

I'll be down again in 2 weeks again to try for gulf grouper before seeing RCPM in concert. I can't wait!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Nice grouper! Love those sierra - some great eating fish. Audi said it was blowing pretty good in Penasco Saturday. Glad you were able to make Lobos!

I've got some friends down there now. We shall see,as they have been there a long time, many years, and fish there A$$ off all day

I never been to lobos and I plan to go there in a week or two. I am from phoenix which way is faster route 2 or go to peurto panasca then take high way 37. Do we need fishing license there in lobos? Any tips or idea appreciate im new to this forum

audsley

I'd recommend Lukeville to Penasco to Lobos. Since Phoenix is west of Nogales, that should save you miles as well as about $18 in tolls. Go into Penasco to fill your gas tank, then get back on the highway to Caborca but don't miss the turn-off to Desemboque/Lobos. You will encounter some road construction. It takes about two hours for the 100 miles from Penasco to Lobos.

As for fishing licenses, I believe anyone who fishes from a boat is legally required to have one. But I don't know what Mexican authorities consider to be a boat. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to kayaks, but it probably does apply to anything with a gas engine. But I also believe Mexican authorities do not bother with small boats within a mile or so of shore. Your call. If you need to get a fishing license, do it on line or at the police station in Penasco. I doubt you can buy one in Lobos. Ideally, someone with expert knowledge of both the statutory and practical aspects of this question will weigh in and improve on what I've just said.

You didn't say how you were staying in Lobos. I hope you weren't planning to rent a condo.

Thank you so much audsley Is it possible to drive at night to panasco get gas then to lobos (because I get off work at 5pm sunday then ready to go I should get through border around 10 or 11:00 pm and I only been to peurto panasca one time)

YumaJames

In reference to buying a fishing license, you can buy fishing licenses at the Municipal building in Rocky Point Monday - Friday. Mexico has an online site whereby you're supposed to be able to purchase licenses online, but it hasn't worked forever! Do you need a fishing license? Legally, yes. Does everyone have one? Of course not. I've know guys who've fished RP forever without one. Your chances of getting stopped and asked for one are minimal, at Puerto Lobos they truly are minimal. Your call. There are a lot of places to get gas in RP, but in terms of safety its your choice whether you wanna drive at night. Best to be safe and not to, but your call.

Terry C

The pot holes on the Caborca highway out of Penasco at night will eat your tires. They have been filling them but I'm not sure for far they have got. As soon as they fill them new ones come up.

I would not drive at night myself. Fishing license never been asked for the 20 or so years I've been going.But you never know . I still like the drive from Penasco to Lobos . Less traffic and ,no would not do at night. Talk to Jerry about the stops on the road that pop up out of nowhere .